Rega RP8 vs New P6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kazu, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazu

kazu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello Rega Lovers !

Q. Rega RP8 vs New P6?

At Just NOW, which one should I buy?
    I would like to ask your opinion obediently.
    I have already had the RP6 with the GT sub-platter with the Nagaoka MP500.
    Please write any reasons for your voting if you are possible.
    Thank you

Best Regards,
    Kazu

2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Why not wait for the new P8 and P10 to be announced before deciding? As for an RP6 w/ a Groovetracer subplatter to a P6, you're not going to see that much improvement.

kazu likes this.
  3. Well if you have the money buy the 8, if not then the 6 :tiphat:

SandAndGlass and kazu like this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The RP6 to a P6 is too much of a lateral move IMO. I’d wait and see what they do with the P8.

SandAndGlass, PhxJohn and kazu like this.
  5. kazu

Thanks Mazzy and Erocka2000!

Mazzy! How's better sound for New P6 against my RP6 & GT-sub?

6. I personally don't know that. I have the RP 6 with the GT subplattter which improved the table. My guess is the P6 is as good but probably better plus it has the PSU that is speed changeable. My RP6 runs at 33.7

SandAndGlass and kazu like this.
  7. kazu

Mazzy! Thank for your response!
    Your RP6 setting is close to mine! Yes, RP6 is a bit fast. Do you know how about speed accuracy on RP8?

8. I don't know what it is out of the box but the PSU is adjustable so you can make it fast slow or spot on I assume.

kazu likes this.
  9. kazu

I know that ...
    the NeoPSU on P6 generates sin-wave with 0.15% distortions
    the TTPSU on RP8 generates sin-wave with 0.05% distortions!

10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have never compared the two but people in the know believe that with the upgrades in the P6 bring it closer if not close to the RP8.
    In other words the P6 is an upgrade from the RP6.

kazu likes this.
  11. kazu

I have an information regarding New P8 (Next RP8) . It will be late next year or early 2019...

rockness87 and Shiver like this.
  12. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Interesting!

kazu likes this.
  13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Hi, Mazzy. I’m buying a new deck...Have you compared the current RP8 (not the new one coming out) with the new, latest P6 ? Is it fair to say the 8 is the better deck, but the 6 has the better power supply ? I’m currently thinking of getting an ex demo RP8 with Apheta and TTPSU rather than a new 6/Ania with the Neo. Anyone else wants to chip in, please do. All advice welcome.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They are both really nice sounding. The only advantage to the Planar 6 over the RP8 is the latest Neo TTPSU. You could have that upgraded on the RP8 at some point though. The Apheta is a bit more resolving than the Ania.
    -Bill

Dhreview16 likes this.
  15. She’d a bit more light here in actual sound terms for us mortals : apheta more resolving than the Ania.

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'm afraid that I am mortal as well, so I'll do my best. The Apheta has a finer stylus and harder cantilever and body mounting systems, which provides it a greater platform for performing from. The sound produced is more dynamic, detailed, and accurate. Bass is tighter with less overhang and highs are airier and more extended. These are finer details layered upon the already well balanced base of the Ania sound. Where most cartridges are limited in performance is at frequency extremes, and here with the Apheta 2, those are addressed. It comes at a greater cost of course, but that is what you get for those extras dollars.
    -Bill

Sugar Man and Mazzy like this.
  17. Thank you.

18. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Mmmmm. Rega. I'm an owner and love them in many respects. But...does anyone else feel their implementation of motor coupling/ isolation lets down their tables ultimately? I feel that resonance or hum tarnishes detail retrieval. It's audible noise - not in the sense you hear whirring motor or anything like it, but it's smear. It robs details.

Case in point:

I wonder if the P6 fares better in this respect. The new P8 seems to a have a new motor mounting too, which might be worth consideration.

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just joined the RP8/Apheta 2/TTPSU club.....

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Congrats. Nice purchase. Alpheta 2 is incredible.

21. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Yep you made the right call mate

22. mbrewer566

mbrewer566 Well-Known Member

On a similar note, I have a P6/Ania. Would I see enough difference to go to the Apheta 2? Rega's website lists the Apheta 2 as paired more with the P8, and doesn't mention a P6/Apheta combination.

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Tough question, but it seems like most owners with a P6/RP6 stick with MC carts in the lower $1k range, like Dynavectors. That is my plan when it is time to upgrade the Exact 2 in my RP6.

I don't have an 8 but I have an RP10/Alpheta 2, and the difference between the RB303 and RB2000 tonearm is staggering. My guess is yes the Alpheta would give you a big upgrade in sound from the Ania (which admittedly I have not heard yet) but the 300 series tonearm will hold it back.

Bill who posts on a lot of the Rega threads should probably weigh in here.

mbrewer566 likes this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have the RP8 and a RB330 I purchased and installed while my RB808 pin connector was getting resoldered.

There is an immense difference between the RB330 and RB808, the latter is miles ahead

Echoes Myron and mbrewer566 like this.
  25. mbrewer566

mbrewer566 Well-Known Member

OK, so it sounds like you would recommend a complete upgrade from P6/Ania to RP8/Apheta? Is this enough of a jump to warrant cost? The recent discounting of RP8 puts it in my price range, while the new P8 is out of range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.