Rega RP8 vs Rega RP10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr Tone, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought an RP8 home this weekend and I was really really enjoying my vinyl for the first time. After some investigation I realized the cartridge wasn't the Apheta 2 that it was suppose to have but the first revision. I had read prior to buying the RP8 that the Apheta 2 was a completely different beast and a major improvement overall. The unit I bought was suppose to have it.

So now I'm returning the RP8 i bought and waiting for a replacement to come in with the new cartridge. So I got to thinking the RP8 with older cartridge sounded much better than my heavily upgraded P3-24, the Apheta 2 should take it up another level, maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the RP10 instead.

What is the point of diminishing returns with these tables? I love the looks of the 2000 arm and like the idea of fine tuned RPM with RP10 motor as every Rega below it seems run fast.

2. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are just asking for permission to buy the rp 10. Go for it! I look forward to your comparison with the 8

3. Dr Tone

Permission probably not, but I was kind of hoping someone would talk me down. :)

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The RP10 is much better than the RP8, really, much much better!

5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Diminishing returns is definitely the case with most turntables. The cartridge is going to give you the biggest bang for the buck by far. Seems from my own personal listening experiences that once you get past around the $2k mark its VERY subtle, meant a lot will not hear the difference. Cartridges are a no brainer for everyone though to hear.

Long Live Analog and Dr Tone like this.
  6. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

No sympathy here. As a rp 3 owner, I'm trying to decide whether to move up the rega line or not. Would love to hear more about both the 8 and the 10, I don't think it mAkes any sense for me to move from a 3 to a 6

7. Dr Tone

The RP8 with original Apheta was a vast improvement over my heavily groovetracer modded P3-24 and Sumiko BPS EVO III.

The original RP8 cartridge mishap will prevent me from doing a fair table to table comparison if I decided to get the RP10/Apheta 2.

8. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Dr Tone, might want to send a pm to TurboDriver who had the RP8 and recently traded up to the RP10. I'm a fan of both decks and would go with the RP10 and be done with it...

9. Dr Tone

Thanks! After further thought(common sense) my vinyl to digital ratio right now dictates the RP8 is the right investment $ for me.

10. Long Live Analog

Dr Tone, nothing wrong with reasonable thinking, the RP8 is a mighty fine deck, with the extra $$ saved you can buy more vinyl and that's what it's about, the music...

beverett and alan967tiger like this.
  11. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That seems like funny math to me. You better check those calculations mister! :D

12. Dr Tone

:) I need better vinyl first, and then I'll try to fudge the numbers.

timztunz and Long Live Analog like this.
  13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

You'll love the RP8/Apheta 2.......it's a great combo!

14. Dr Tone

RP8 and Apheta 2 should be arriving at the dealer today. Can't wait to plug it in see what the "2" is all about.

15. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Think you are making a wise choice with the RP8. Enjoy your new table.

Art K, timztunz and Long Live Analog like this.
  16. Long Live Analog

Looking forward to reading your impressions and comparisons, that's a mighty fine combo you'll have, enjoy spinning the vinyl...

timztunz likes this.
  17. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I'm very happy with the RP10, and feel I owe the forum an in-depth review once I have the time. I went to the RP10 specifically for the speed control, but the platter and RB2000 are nice bonuses.

I still think the outer plinth concept hasn't been fully thought through by Rega. For the price point they could have done something a lot nicer and elegant.

BKS, Art K and Long Live Analog like this.
  18. Long Live Analog

looking forward to the in deapth review, I also agree about the outer plinth...

19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

OK -- here's a quickie. Bought the RP8 several months ago (with Apheta2), to replace a VPI Classic I traded back to Goldprint Audio. I did enjoy the Classic, but there were some issues with it in my setup that made it a short-timer. Then jumped to an RP8 for awhile before decided to go 'all the way' with the RP10. See here.

I still miss the VPI Classic's commanding presence on my equipment rack and I'd rather look at it any day over the visual 'meh' that is the RP8/RP10. But in this game it's the sound that matters, and my current system has never sounded better (or looked worse!).

I switched to the RP10 to gain control of the speed. The RP8 runs fast... mine did (by over 1% at 45RPM!), and internet reports confirm this is more norm than exception. A few dealers say it will settle down once it breaks in, but someone else can report back on that front, if true. Getting the speed dialed in appeared to be the last step towards the 'perfect' table.

On setting up the RP10 and letting in break in for a few days I measured the speed with both Turntabulator and Platterspeed. Fast!!! Again! The VPI always measured dead-on 33.34. Taylor at Goldprint reached out to Rega for me, and I was soon armed with the instructions for the speed control feature of the RP10's power supply. Measured with test tones, and dialed it in. Wow/Flutter virtually non-existent. So now accurate and rock solid speed. Check.

But then also compared to the RP8:

RB2000 tonearm allowed me to dial in anti-skate very accurately to test disks. I can now easily pass the first two tracks on the HFN disk. Couldn't do this with the RB808, with it's cheap feeling plastic plunger. And the RB2000 just feels a whole lot more substantial. No RB808 to RB2000 sound comparisons.

The ceramic platter is a beast -- and also a nice upgrade from the RP8. No glass to ceramic sound comparisons, however.

The power supply is much better, period. With the RP8's power supply a little speed drift was common. Measured (and heard) very easily with stable test tones. But the RP10's delivered pitch stability (good for my ears) and deliveres a perfect sin curve with no drift (good for measurement).

In Sum..... over the RP8
    - pitch accuracy via far improved power supply
    - speed control via same power supply
    - tonerarm with finer anti-skate control plus higher build quality (and perhaps, better tracking)
    - ceramic platter (for whatever reason... feels heavy!)

Worth it if you can spare the $$$ and if the above things are important to you!

The only negative: the outer plinth feels like an afterthought and, frankly, seems like lazy design.

BKS, beverett, Art K and 3 others like this.
  20. Long Live Analog

TurboDriver, thank you for the quick review and impressions. I'm currently trying to decide between the RP10 or Classic 1/2 this said I'm a fan of Rega (own 2) and there's no a VPI dealer near me plus I'm not into all the fiddle faddle/tweaks. I concur about the looks of the Rega/plinth however it's the sound of the music and ease of spinning vinyl that makes me smile...

21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Check out the Pro-Ject Xtension 10!

I might add to my review: The Apheta 2 is a stunner with the Aria phono pre.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  22. Dr Tone

I always wondered why every single table that leaves Rega is a little fast. Bizarre!

I'm not going to check mine for my sanity, just toss on a couple Edward Audio little belters and call it a day. If I can obviously tell there's a pitch problem I'll go back to the dealer and work with them and Rega to move to an RP10.

23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I am thinking about an RP8 or RP10 myself to upgrade from my existing RP3 that I have loved well. I am curious about what the instructions were? I hope you don't have to mod a power supply on a table that expensive just to get it to play at the right speed? :rolleyes:

If the RP8 runs fast, is there a fix for it?

24. Dr Tone

I'm certain the RP8 will be fast, it's just a question of by how much? RP8's power supply can not be adjusted, the RP10's can though it's not suppose to be done by the owner.

I've read quite few comments that the little belter belts get you closer or even close enough with an RP8 and other Rega tables. I've also read one guy indicating they made his even faster.

25. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No fix for RP8 unless you are comfortable moving the motor position. The RP10 fine motor adjustment is very easy. Just a switch in the back to press, then dialing in speed while playing back a test tone. Rega saying 'not for consumer adjustment' assumes we don't have the necessary test equipment.

Those Edward belts slowed both my RP8 and RP10 down to below 33.3. Better to be a little fast than a little slow. I'd avoid.

One other thing -- both the RP8 and RP10 measure 'more stable' with one rather than two belts installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.