Rega RS3/Elex R Break In Time?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteveCam, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just set up a new pair of Rega RS3 speakers and a Rega Elex R amp, along with a Rega Era headphone amp. I know there is suppose to be break in times for this equipment. Roughly what is the break in time for the Elex R and RS3 speakers. Both pieces are brand new out of the box, so zero hours other than a couple of albums I have played today. Also, is there an quick way to perform the break in? Can I just stream radio all day while at work or out of the house?

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Roughly....150 to 200 hours.

Streaming radio while you are at work is great way to accomplish this.

Ivand likes this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

50 hours will get you 90% of the way there. I just listen and enjoy and it'll be coming into bloom in no time anyway. No need for any special mojo treatment.
    -Bill

Ivand likes this.
  4. SteveCam

Thanks guys!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

A couple of weeks regular use and it'll start singing. I set my RX3s in a similar position to my previous MA RX6s (18" from the back wall and 24" from the sides and toed in slightly) but with the 3s woofers facing out aimed towards the walls and left them there for 3 months. Last weekend I swapped them so the woofers facing are towards each other and what a difference! Bass is the smoothest I've ever heard it in my room and it affected the whole frequency range from the midrange all the way up to the high treble. The soundstage is more open and the imaging is more distinct. The side firing woofers on the RS3s are a huge advantage, to eliminate boom and to tune the speakers to the room. Good luck experimenting.

6. SteveCam

Thanks for the tips. I may go with the RX3 yet but am auditioning the RS3 for about a month. I have the side woofers facing out right now due to limited room set up.

In terms of the break in period, is it regular use you need or will just streaming the radio around the clock work? This set up is mostly for vinyl but regular use of that won't add up to the required hours very quick.

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

For me regular use was all I needed since I play at least 3-5 albums a day almost every day. This equipment breaks in pretty fast though and the main difference I heard was when new the sound would be a little bright and edgy for like the first ten minutes after turn on then as I went along (days) the sound would smooth out quicker but still, every thing seems to sound best after I play an album or so. I assume the RS3s you have are floor samples and have been played a bit so there shouldn't be much of an issue with them and I think leaving the amp on at idle for hours on end still counts as break in time as far as the amp is concerned.

8. SteveCam

Actually they are new out of the box. I guess they were just unsold stock. That's the sound I am getting, a little bright or hard, but I understand that will smooth out. Again, I may go up to the RX3, but that will cost a good deal deal more as they really shot up in price and I've already sunk a chunk into this current upgrade and I still haven't upgraded my turntable. I will be able to get the finish of choice with the RX3 though. With these RS3 I had to go with the black finish which doesn't work as well with my room decor as the dark wood veneer would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.