Rega Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timnor, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timnor

timnor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

My B&W speakers have seen better days and I'm thinking of replacing with some Rega speakers. I wondered if you had any recommendations ? I have been offered some second hand RS5 for 500 Euro and R9 for a sum that is way outside my budget. Do you think the I will notice a significant improvement from RS5's compared to my DM603 ?

Turntable: Rega Planar 3 Cartridge: Elys 2
    Pre Amplifier: Rega Fono MK II
    Amplification: NAIM NAIT 5i
    Speaker System: B&W DM603

Thanks !

Ronners likes this.
  2. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Hi ,the speakers in mention are very different in their presentations. The B&Ws sound warm, slightly forward, with generous bass.
    The Regas are detailed, open, and analytical, with less bass weight (if you will).
    The newest RX generation of LSs are much more accomplished. Try (if budget allows) a pair of RX3s.

timnor and bhazen like this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

RS5s are awesome. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Caveat: I'm not a huge fan of the B&W house sound. But I think the Regas would be a great match for your Nait.

Ronners, timnor and AmericanHIFI like this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'd love to upgrade my RS3 to RS5...

bhazen likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

listen to them first....

6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have the RX5 and think they are fantastic performers. Very detailed, open and fast and for me more than enough bass, remember you can control that since these are side firing woofers.
    I heard them with Nait gear and that is a very very good pairing........Go audition them if you can!

AmericanHIFI and bhazen like this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

This is very subjective but ... think of switching from the B&Ws to the RS5s as going from a speaker more about tone colour, to one more about rhythmic groove. But ever so slightly! YMMV, my opinion only.

I miss having RS1s, sometimes ...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    timnor likes this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

If the RS5s are anything like my RX3s I'd go for it!

9. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I have RS5's in a second system and am quite happy with them. At one time I did think they lacked some lower end "weight". But once they were fed a proper diet they responded quite well IMHO.

Ronners and timnor like this.
  10. AmericanHIFI

A proper diet of what?

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Human souls of course, what else...

bhazen, Manimal and timztunz like this.
  12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

System details are available in my profile.

13. AmericanHIFI

Quite impressive, thank you.

14. timnor

Thanks so much for all the tips. I was offered the pair of used RS5's for 450 Euro and took the plunge. They are being shipped. Now I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable speaker cable for the following setup

Turntable: Rega Planar 3 Cartridge: Exact
    Pre Amplifier: Rega Fono MK II
    Amplification: NAIM NAIT 5i
    Speakers : Rega RS5

Thanks again

Ronners and dbsea like this.
  15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Black Rhodium are well reviewed by the British hi fi press, maybe you could look at those.

16. timnor

Thanks for the tip. They seem to have a huge selection. Was there one type that you think suits my system ? I was wondering if Rega cables would be recommend ?

17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I was thinking of the Quickstep but I now realize that its a bit pricy and not practical and I shouldn't be suggesting things from half a world away. You'll do better to trust your instincts since you're able to gage what's available in your market. I'm sure the Rega cable presents a better value and will have a certain synergy with your new speakers. My only suggestion. once you decide what you need would be to have them professionally terminated which will ensure good solid connections.

timnor likes this.
  18. timnor

Thanks. I'm kind of lost as far as knowing what speaker cable to buy but apart from Rega's own cables I've read a lot of positive feedback about Chord Clearway cables. Anyone have any recommendations ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    bhazen likes this.
  19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Oh my goodness. Makes no difference. Don't waste your money on cables.

A great cable that doesn't cost much are Blue Jeans Cables...

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

^ As much as I agree with BJC as I use a set of spkr cables they made for me. Don't forget that BJC does not mfg cable, they are merely assemblers of cable to your specs. For spkr cable they use Belden cables which are excellent cables, Belden is known for supplying cable to radio, recording studios and the like, for that reason I think its very neutral cable if that is what you want.
    BJC does an excellent job of assembling cable with their really nice welds, I just had them make a coax cable for me for my CDP......And yes they are very affordable.

rpd likes this.
  21. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Ummm ... not cheap, but Naim NAC A5 speaker cables are your best bet with a Naim amp (they're funny about capacitance or something, and the Naim cables are a must.) I've had all sorts of speaker wire here (including Chord) and I always end up getting the best sound with NAC A5. @$!#ing stiff coils of the stuff ...

BTW I've owned a Nait 5i, great amp. Should be fantastic with RS5s (I ran mine with RS1s, incredibly fun combo.)

timnor likes this.
  22. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Personally I think that if you like the sound of your B&W then you are probably not going to like the Rega. OTOH 500 EUR for the Rega speakers sounds like a good deal to me.

timnor likes this.
  23. timnor

Thanks. I'm not sure I really like the sound of my B&Ws I'm just used to the sound ! I'm not an expert and probably not good at describing how a speaker sounds but to me the B&W sounds forward, the bass a bit too punchy, not too detailed. Better suited perhaps to ballsy young pup than an old man like me ! What is it about the Rega sound that makes you think it will be so different that I won't like it ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  24. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Those RS5's should be great. I use RS3's in my small room and they are superb. I would recommend Rega speaker cable. Good value and non-fussy. Don't spend a lot on cables...

Kristofferabild and timnor like this.
  25. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Well, I must agree with your description of the B&W. It reminds me of of a good uncle who's mild mannered and always has some candies in his pockets. It may not be the best qualification of B&W sound but that's what I think when I hear them. The Rega have (IMHO) a better stage with more details and a more neutral sound. So I believe that anyone who like a round and mellow sound is going to find that the Rega sounds flat to his ears.

But then. that's a very personal opinion and you may find it completely irrelevant to your case.

timnor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.