Rega Synergy Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wonky, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonky

wonky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, at the moment I'm completely fascinated by the synergy between rega brio-r, apollo-r and rega-rx1 speakers in my room. i would like to know how i can build on this.
    1) how do you consider the rega interconnects and speaker cables? are they part of the experience? at the moment i use cables by straightwire for both, sold to me in order avoid brightness.
    And i have space for one more rega box:
    2) What would change if i use the rega fono mm between technics 1210 Gr and brio-r, at the moment i use the internal of the brio-r?
    3) what would change if i use rega dac between apollo and brio?
    4) finally, should i get the new brio?

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

1) I'd say like putting fancy wheels on your favorite car they're part of the experience - I've been thinking about getting a Rega mains power cable for some time.
    2) All else being equal the change would be subtle.
    3) You'd have a nice transport and DAC.
    4) The Brio-r was a very nice machine by all accounts but an Elex-r would certainly be an upgrade.

KT88 likes this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Skip cables swaps. The Fono and DAC are better but not really a huge impact in terms of upgrade. The DAC-R has a huge bass potential and allows many more inputs. The Aria offers better phono performance as well as the ability to use a LOMC cartridge. So if you want to expand either digital or analog components, I'd go that route. For better overall drive and warmth, the Elex-R is the way to go.
    -Bill

timztunz likes this.
  4. wonky

Thanks for the suggestions!

"The Brio-r was a very nice machine by all accounts but an Elex-r would certainly be an upgrade."

I will look into the Aria then. Also i can imagine buying the elex, but reading some reviews, maybe also comments on this forum, i was under the impression, that the elex is leaner than the brio. And wouldn't the drive of the elex be too much for the RX-1 in a small room(20 sqm)?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  5. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Listen to Bill. He knows his stuff. But I agree with you, Rega has a huge synergy play. I have a second almost all Rega system and it’s surprisingly good sounding to me.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No, it's a better amp. More power and a bit warmer tonally. There is no such thing as too much power. You'll only use what you need. It simply sounds better. The Aria is a lot nicer and more capable too, so you can look at it like DAC-R, Aria, Elex-R are next level up from Apollo-R, Fono MM, and Brio-R systems. Take your pick from those in the first group and you have an upgrade. I'd not pay so much attention to reviews.
    -Bill

7. wonky

Ok, thanks. I'm really interested now and will look, if i can listen to it here.
    Concerning the DAC-R: it will provide more bass or an overall smoother representation?

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Both.

-Bill

9. wonky

Got it, thanks!

10. wonky

If anyone is interested here is what i did so far:
    bought the Rega Duet loudspeakercable completed with plugs by the dealer - great upgrade, much better then the normal gauge and much better than a more expensive cable i have, which for my feelings simply did too much. Also got the Rega Couple II interconnect which was way to bright with the Apollo.
    Got the DAC-R as a home demo and played it in for 4-5 days(24h) together with the Couple II and after more than 100h it seems now that i have never heard a cd properly before: sound is smoother, there is depth and the music seems alive. Added mains -cables to Apollo-R and Dac-R, which also contributed quite a lot.

Kristofferabild, KT88 and Morbius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.