Rega Turntable weights

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marshall_SLX, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000 Thread Starter

I posted this in the P6 forum but its probably best to have a separate thread.

Basically i would like to see a weight comparison of Regas TT line, all models. Obviously as you move up the models the plinths get lighter and the platters get heavier.

Ive weighed my P7 and P3 - 24 below are the results. If anyone has ever weighed a bare Rega plinth with nothing attached to it that would also be cool to see. My measurements were taken without the dustcover or platter mat.

P7 - 6kg with everything except dustcover and mat

P7 - 4kg without dustcover mat and platter

P3 - 24 - 5.4kg everything except dustcover and mat

p3 - 24 - 3.4kg without dustcover mat and platter

I am going to surmise that plinth weights (including the frame around P7) are very similar because the P7 has the heavier subplatter, heavier arm because of the metal base mount, extra little mounts on the feet (only a few grams), possibly a heavier bearing (it is bigger) and an extra few grams from the extra set of screws in the P7 to hold the frame on and the motor is mounted with screws and washers where the P3 - 24 motor is mounted with double sided tape.

The standard 12 mm glass platter weighs 2kg which is exactly the same as the P7's ceramic platter and i have to admit that surprised me.

I only used a regular set of digital bathroom scales so i have rounded a bit as it can be 0.1 either way sometimes which is 100 grams so i cant be absolute with these weights but to gain a more accurate reading i weighed with me holding the TT standing on the scales.

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

What is the focus here ? This could be interesting but you need to let us know your thoughts.

3. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000 Thread Starter

I would just like to compare the various models and see just how much lighter the foam plinth models are and whether newer models are lighter than older models etc

H8SLKC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.