Regarding Hendrix's "Axis: Bold as Love"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

As we all know, Jimi wanted more time to finish the album, while the record company wanted the album tk be released in time for the Christmas market in 1967, and since their contract dictated the release of two albums per year, they didn't have any choice. Do you think the rushed release of the album made any harm to the music, in any way? Did the fact that they had to rush the album a few couple of months interfere with the quality of the music in any way?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Nope. It didn't harm the music in the slightest.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

We will never know what it MIGHT have sounded like had Jimi given more time to it, but I love it just the way it is.

It my favorite Hendrix album song-wise.

4. Dr. Robert

There was some stuff he was working on that might've figured on the album, such as Crosstown Traffic and Angel, but I agree, it's a great album

5. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

Despite some good songs, the album was a major disappointment to me at the time. I knew quite a few music enthusiasts in those days who felt the same way. Not long after Axis was released, I attended a Hendrix performance; but I went hoping that most of the songs would be from the first album. Axis is still the one Hendrix album where I only listen to a few of the songs.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Jimi sure felt that way about it!
    He needn't have worried, it's a wonderful achievement.

Tone, Chrome_Head, Shak Cohen and 7 others like this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

His rhythm/chord work is amazing to me on this album.

I could live without "EXP" at this point but it's a cool segue into "Up From the Skies" which is my favorite wah wah work of Jimi's. Lyrical and musical, as opposed to most people going wacka wacka wacka back and forth with it. :D

recklessczar, trebori, gd0 and 4 others like this.
  8. Dr. Robert

With "Crosstown Trafffic" instead of "EXP" and maybe "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" instead of "She's So Fine" I'd be happy

9. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I felt the same way at the time. I was pretty young. Couldn't get past my expectations. Axis didn't hit as hard as I hoped it would. Over the years, I've come to understand how broad Jimi's musical make-up was. The variety of material on Axis is really quite impressive.

2141, Tuco and recklessczar like this.
  10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I love Axis, was my favorite hendrix album forever.

Gipetto, Rocketdog, t-man 54 and 14 others like this.
  11. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Regardless of the circumstances, Jimi delivered the goods!

Chrome_Head, Rocat, slideroni and 2 others like this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

I never was in for changing albums, Jimi recorded Axis the way he intended it to be with the time allowed. I remember listening to Axis and it took me more listens than Are You Experienced for Axis to click with me. But Axis is a completely different direction for Jimi Hendrix more song oriented more commercial sounding if that is the right word to use? But looking back what a great album Axis is I'm sure glad Jimi made it! "Aw, shucks,
    If my daddy could see me now."

13. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Axis is a masterpiece.

Gipetto, Tommyboy, texron and 34 others like this.
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'd rate it a 5/5, so I wouldn't say that being rushed was a detriment.

And I was probably 5 years old the first time I heard it (it was probably late 67 or early 68 when I first heard it) . . . and then shortly after that, when I was still 5, I saw Hendrix live with one of my uncles.

15. Dr. Robert

And if it hadn't been, a 5.1/5 even

16. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with it at all.

17. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Doubtful that Chas Chandler would have given him much more time to work on it anyway. Sounds great to me the way it is.

slideroni, MoonPool and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wouldn't change anything about the three Hendrix Experience albums. They're as good as music gets to me.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

One of the reasons a lot of 60s music is so lively, direct and exciting is that most musicians and bands didn't spend ages recording it and overthinking or overproducing it. The limited amount of tracks to record on contributes too.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Time is only one constraint on creativity, and not necessarily something that changes what is already done. Someone is thinking about these things too much.
    What "would have" been different? Lots of things, we don't know.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think it was a good thing that Jimi was on a tight schedule. I feel it forced him into making quicker decisions and getting his music out to the public. As seen during his last two years of life, that is, post-Electric Ladyland, when Jimi had too much time to indulge his whims, he often lost the thread of what he should and should not release, and never could buckle down and get an album out. So I'm happy with Axis (although I likely would have been a bit happier if Jimi could have added one more of his tunes instead of Noel's "She's So Fine").

22. Chris Schoen

So much energy in the air back then.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love the drum sound on Axis.

Linto, keifspoon, rockerreds and 7 others like this.
  24. Chris Schoen

Mono vinyl is great.

25. Dr. Robert

Axis is my favourite JHE album as well, and it came to my mind reading about it, what could have been. And yes, tight schedules often caused great music back in the day, a shame it isn't so anymore

Hootsmon, rockerreds, ash1 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.