Regarding Hendrix's "Axis: Bold as Love"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Looks familiar, Ultimate Hendrix by any chance?

DTK likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Regardless, just another take on a story by an author! Third party account.

I went back as far as I could to original accounts by those that were involved and two of the three directly state, the whole album was remixed and the third eludes to it as to my reading.

3. Gordon Johnson

Oh man! Wiki!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never once took a look at the rubbish posted there, how remiss of me :D:D

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I was wondering if Jimi and Chas were aware the alternate mix *was released* in some counties....all albums have mixes that are unused of rejected. The alternate mixes heard on the Polydor LP were very likely rejected mixes done by Kramer.

5. Gordon Johnson

I have to say that the Wiki link is a timely reminder as to why this discussion is taking place and what in essence, drove the article. Stories, variations on a theme and whether we like it or not an acceptance as fact of a story.

A number of posts have eluded to how things are to Hendrix be it his perspective, his say or even his sensibilities.
    I wonder why anyone would think business, the music business at that give any concern to the artist. Unless all of a sudden business had a sudden bout of self consciousness for a moment or two!

6. Gordon Johnson

The problem with this for me is that, if these were simply the various "final" mixes that did take place throughout the recording session, why are they sequenced as the other mix? Clearly not something pulled together on a whim that's for sure. And lets remind ourselves that this 2nd / 1st mix was released at the same time as the 2nd / 1st mix :)

yes, Chandler was fully aware of the alternate mix in use, imo. Jimi? Who Know's? That these are points beyond the taxi / lost / trashed and other stories is worth pointing out at juncture.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. Gordon Johnson

I hope the editor includes my "Taxi For Hendrix" piece in Jimpress and you guys take time to check it out.
    I have tried to strip it all back and also return to original comments.

But one thing always bothered me about this and I didn't mention it in the article. Just why did Jimi even bother to mention to a reporter in 1968 [USA] that somehow the mixed master(s) were lost, in London. There would be no real reason to disclose this even if he was expressing his dissatisfaction of the time scale involved. Maybe he was aware that two mixes existed in official land?

kees1954 likes this.
  8. Gordon Johnson

In some countries? So far I have failed to find a Polydor issue of this album from any corner of the globe, from Chile to Norway or Mexico to South Africa that does not contain the original Track /Reprise / Barclay mix, either in the analogue or digital domain.

Anyone here know otherwise?

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Gord, You said putting the recording deal at risk which to me sounds like being risked being dropped from the label. What is this other intetpretation i am missing?

10. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

There is a video of Eddie talking about remixing the 1St side only.

The 2nd side has no evidence anywhere that it was remixed.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Jimi and Chas were far too astute to both miss it and leave a poor mixing error in a soft ballad and the standout lp cut.

12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

The Australian polydor is the same mix.

I have the original mono track, Australian and a early 70's jap. All the stereo mixes are the same.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have no idea if this is the case, but the Axis stereo mix on the UK Polydor 2-fer vinyl sounds like a draft mix to me compared to the UK Track/US Reprise stereo mix.

14. Gordon Johnson

We are moving away from the point of discussion, its easy to do when we all look to make it easier to join the dots. The lost piece is so vague and has changed so much in basic detail its hard not to want to broaden the thinking.

Putting the deal at risk; That does not automatically mean being dropped by a label, there are other ways. But it is important to understand from Chas's perspective, any delay would not reflect well on him.

If the extra note in Little Wing was an issue for either Jimi or Chas that could easily have been corrected without returning to re mixing the whole album. Clearly they missed it initially tho' regardless of how astute they were!

15. Gordon Johnson

I must have missed that video where Kramer says they only mixed side A. I have seen video of comments on mixing two tracks from side A but none specified side A alone.
    If Kramer did [and I have to say I doubt he did, please link me the video or give me the title of it so I can check it out please.] say side A was the only side mix it goes against what he says elsewhere where he clearly states the WHOLE album was remixed the following day. Details in the Jimpress article.

The second side was remixed if we believe both Chas and Eddie. I also highlight in the article just how, when it comes to stating the lost piece that it was the B side that was lost and not the A side. Who says so? Chas say's so!

The story changes per publication / author it seems. Another reason why Wiki is not a trusted source!

Yep, I know but thanks for confirming the mix on the Polydor International pressing from Australia. I have heard and needledropped the Japanese 2nd pressing, again the "alternate" mix and own copies of the Track pressing on mono but that one is not part of the discussion!

A couple of pages from my site that will show the minimum number of copies I listened to of this album in stereo.
    Axis. Bold As Love

Axis. Bold As Love Pg 2

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  16. Gordon Johnson

Just had a quick scan thru' some of the recent posts and want to add a comment to this.

Kramer could not have mixed this album on his own. It was at least a three man job. All the mixes across both versions of the stereo album were done by three people and those three people appear to be Hendrix Kramer and Chandler.

DTK likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Questions for those in the know.

1) Could you play a Studio Mix Down Master on a home recorder back in 1967?
    2) Did Jimi own such a player? Would a past the was going to have such a player? I don't think I have ever seen a picture of Jimi in his London Flat next to a Real to Reel player.
    3) Wouldn't he have been more likely to have a acetate of the master tape?
    4) So Jimi leaves his master tape in the Taxi. One of the first things someone would say open see Jimi would be something like "Hey Jimi what have you been up to?" "Man I just finished mixing one side of my new LP. " He would realize that he lost the tape.
    5) Were the London taxis radio dispatched? Could you call in to report you lost something valuable in the taxis? Don't they have a Lost and Found?
    6) Is the master tape fragile, in that the Master Tape is all the different songs spliced together from individual mixdowns of the various song masters?
    7) Chas was always conscience of studio time. In the beginning he hocked his own guitar collection to pay for studio time. One of his biggest beefs with Jimi was the wasting (ie the cost) of valuable studio time and resources. I think he would have been very protected of the Studio Tapes especially The Masters.
    8) How much did studio tape cost back then?

I find it hard to believe that Jimi would be let to be in a position to lose a Master Tape.

The Beave, marcb and Gordon Johnson like this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

More or less all dealt with in the article :) So I have to say, f***ing great questions ha ha!

I think I omitted the tape size from the final article. Mix down masters came on 1/2 and 1/4 inch tape as a rule. I have never seen a 1/2" mix down tape of any Hendrix recording, only 1/4" and never saw the AXIS mix tape.
    1/4 inch tape is playable on an open reel player. Did Chas own an open reel player? And Jimi was living with Chas at the time.
    That last point may help with our understanding of who may have taken the reels out of the studio after the 1st mix and before a copy was made!

alchemy likes this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

What mixing error are you referring to?

Are you referring to that little “noise” at 1:04 in Little Wing, on the alternate mix?

20. Gordon Johnson

The same one you highlighted!

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As I said earlier in this thread, without elaboration, I don’t believe for one second any master mixdown tape was lost. The leaps of logic required for this to be true are too numerous to count, but your questions are a good start.

alchemy likes this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Four, If you count Linda Eastman (McCartney) the photographer.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  23. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor Thread Starter

...and probably some of the kids, too

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Finally I found this bullsh*t post of mine again. And I have to apologize after all.
    I listened to that double album lotsa times recently and, of course, this album shouldn't be changed. Instead my head from that other day should!^^

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yeah, shame on you. Boo!! lol

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.