Regular CDs issued after a gold version using THAT remastered version.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug Hess Jr., Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

If I missed it already, please point me in the right direction...

I would like a list of the regular issue CD's that have been released AFTER a Steve Hoffman, MCA Gold or MFSL version where the company said, "Hey, thanks for PAYING us to do our remastering work for us" and then put out that version as their regular release.

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Although they were not outside jobs, Sony's masterings on the Mastersound gold discs were later used for the regular silver discs.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That happened mainly with Sony Mastersound discs. After some time elapsed, the Mastersound version would be quietly used for later pressings of some albums. To keep consumers from trying to send back 'inferior' previous CDs, Sony just put them into the pipeline. They weren't the only label to remaster discs without telling the masses about it(today, of course, they go out of their way to let us know), but when word leaked out it made things tough if you wanted that redo without paying the gold disc price.

I'm not sure MFSL's remasters ever went any further than their discs; and, with the exception of some VINTAGE MUSIC tracks that turned up on other label comps, I'm not aware of ANY of Steve's mastering work--including the DCC golds--that were later used for another label's discs. If anybody can prove otherwise, I too would be interested to know. More likely is that, come remastering time, titles were/are done 'in-house,' rather than use an existing master. Which is why most DCC Golds are so unique and some so sought after. Although in theory anybody could 'lift' Steve's work and use it elsewhere, I'm not aware of any siginificant examples of that yet. But maybe he knows more....

ED:cool:

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm not sure about that. Miles Davis's KIND OF BLUE gold disc is different from the eventual remaster, which was not as heavily equalized or no-noised; Dave Brubeck's TIME OUT aluminum remaster was encoded with HDCD, not available at the time of the gold disc.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My copy of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell is a BMG record club copy of the aluminum disc with this digital master number: DIBD 020018 with 80s CD packaging

Is this the Mastersound master used on the regular aluminum disc or is this the original digital master done in the 1980s?

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Also, for what it's worth, the MFSL gold discs of The Who's LIVE AT LEEDS and WHO'S NEXT were reportedly made using the same digital master used to create the recent remasters. Thus, there's little difference between the gold and aluminum, though I suspect someone at MFSL did a little knob-twiddling to soften the top end.

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

The Razor and Tie 2-CD Beach Boys collection (aluminum discs) uses (or used; it seems to be OOP now) clones of Steve's DCC mastering, plus some newly-mastered tracks by Steve.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes- Fragile gold disc is the same as the aluminum remaster.

9. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Ron, you are correct that not all were transferred over. However, I believe most rock titles such as Boston, Born To Run, Silk Degrees, etc. were.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

We're not talking about the Sony/Legacy remasters; this is about later remasterings of the old Columbia CD's from the Mastersound version, which I repeat, was done for SOME, not ALL of the releases. The packaging was no different, just a different master put into the pipeline. ALL Sony/Legacy discs are remastered from the original master tapes(and often remixed), a different situation entirely.

ED:cool:

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The MCA gold Buddy Holly's Greatest Hits disc was later released as an aluminum CD with the same artwork, mastering, etc.

The current aluminum CD of Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow features the same mastering job as the OOP gold disc which was released about 8 years ago.

12. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I would guess that the CS&N remaster was the same as the preceeding gold limited.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

In addition to the aforementioned Beach Boys R&T set, Capitol used the DCC (silver, not gold in the case of s/t) masters of the Leon Russell catalog for their set of CDs. Also, I believe that some BGO Mamas & Papas CDs contain tracks lifted from Steve's CD.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I seem to recall there being more.

14. How do we know this? If I go out today and buy a new copy of "Born To Run", I will get the Sony Mastersound gold CD version? I was thinking of ripping my half speed master of "Born To Run" and making a CD-R, but if the current regular issue CD here in Canada is the gold disc version, I'm in.

15. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Rykodisc's Au20 discs; definitely the Zappa 'One Size Fits All' and 'Apostrophe', and perhaps other Au20 titles secretly became the aluminum replacement master a couple of years down the road...

16. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Although at least in Zappa's case, that seemed to be unintentional, and it seems as if Ryko switched back to the old masters (at least for Apostrophe).

-D

17. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Phoebe Snow came out on DCC silver then improved on DCC Gold and finally reissued on "The Right Stuff/Capitol" all Steve masters.

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Jesus Christ Superstar remaster uses the MCA Gold remaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.