Reissue Suggestions - Please Read

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Friends,

I have been thinking about how we can liven up the Reissue Forum without talking about politics! :eek:

There are a lot of great reissue ideas shared in this Forum on a regular basis. However, as I read the posted threads, I often wonder why the poster would like to see that title re-mastered? What is wrong with the title(s) presently in print?

I believe that it would very helpful for all us to better understand the reasons behind the suggestions for re-mastering of certain titles. I would like to suggest that when you post a title to be re-mastered, please share with us the reasons why the present version is inferior, lacking in sound quality or faulted in presentation. In other words, not just "the what" but also, "the why".

Furthermore, I believe this approach would prove to be more interesting and informative as the basis for discussions.

Keep posting those reissue ideas!!

Regards to all,

Bob:)

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:mad: No politics? Why you killjoy...:D Great idea, but hope you don't mind if I take it a step further into the ozone...

This first batch of reissues is strictly for the monomaniac: not asking for the world here, just MONO. The fact that it's mono speaks for itself, I think. Some I'd like to see, not only for listening delight but for historical reference, in no particular order:

Peter, Paul & Mary: The Singles 1962-1969
    The Monkees: Single's A's & B's
    Roy Orbison: Mono Monument 1960-66
    The Everly Brothers: WB Singles 1960-67
    The Byrds: Complete Columbia singles
    The Beatles: The Singles BOX(a serious study in mono, from the Polydor singles to all Parlophone/Capitol/Vee-Jay/Tollie/Swan, etc.
    Sam Cooke: 1957-65
    Atlantic/Atco Year-by-Year: 2-CD per-year sets with all the proper mono mixes. Much has already been issued but is scattered all over the place; time to put this material together
    Connie Francis: Biggest Hits 1958-64
    Marianne Faithfull: The Singles A's & B's 1964-67
    The Elektra Singles Collection(1966-70)
    Paul Revere & The Raiders: The Columbia Singles
    Gary Lewis & The Playboys: Classics(!) 1965-68
    The Lovin' Spoonful Collection 1965-68
    The Turtles: Turtles Singles 1965-70
    The Mamas & The Papas: Golden Era Hits 1966-68
    Tommy James & The Shondells: On The Radio 1966-70
    4 Seasons: EDIZIONE D'ORO Deluxe Edition(2 CD's; all the singles in one place)
    Petula Clark: Greatest Hits 1 & 2(1958-72)
    Johnny Rivers: Complete Golden Hits
    Ray Charles: The Definitive ABC-Paramount singles collection
    Herb Alpert/TJB: The Singles 1962-72

Then there are the mono albums that should see CD light of day:

Bob Dylan: Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde
    Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, MMT(the album), The Beatles
    The Doors: The Doors, Strange Days
    Buffalo Springfield: Again
    Moby Grape: Moby Grape
    John Mayall's Bluesbreakers feat. Eric Clapton
    Cream: Fresh Cream
    Music Machine: Turn On The Music Machine
    Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?(UK w/US bonus track), Axis: Bold As Love
    Los Bravos: Black Is Black
    Moody Blues: Days Of Future Passed
    The Yardbirds: Little Games
    Bee Gees: 1st, Horizontal, Idea
    Vanilla Fudge: Vanilla Fudge, The Beat Goes On
    Rascals: The Young Rascals, Collections, Groovin', Once Upon A Dream
    The Mothers Of Invention: Freak Out
    Velvet Underground: White Light/White Heat
    The Monkees: debut through Birds, The Bees & The Monkees
    Kaleidoscope: Side Trips, A Beacon From Mars
    Rolling Stones: After-Math(UK), Between The Buttons, Satanic Majesties, Beggars Banquet
    Jefferson Airplane: After Bathing At Baxter's
    Otis Redding: Live In Europe
    Country Joe & The Fish: Electric Music For Mind & Body
    The Dave Clark Five(album releases w/bonus tracks)

And of course, some missing stereo albums:

Aaron Neville: Tell It Like It Is
    Dobie Gray Sings "The In Crowd"
    Paul Evans Sings The Fabulous Teens/In Your Home Tonight
    Beach Boys: Today, Summer Days, Party, Smiley Smile
    Beatles: Please Please Me, With, AHDN, Beatles For Sale
    Rolling Stones: Now!, Out Of Our Heads
    Rolling Stones: The Stereo Singles Collection
    Los Bravos: Black Is Black, Bring A Little Lovin'(full stereo versions)
    A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records
    Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes feat. Veronica
    Phil Spector: Back To Stereo(NOW I'm dreaming!!!)
    The Beach Boys: Good Vibrations(collection of 45 stereo mixes)
    The Who Sings My Generation(done right this time)
    The Dave Clark Five(just about anything)
    Aretha: M/S of Never Loved A Man, Aretha Arrives, Lady Soul
    Vanilla Fudge(serious remaster)
    Herb Alpert/TJB: The Singles in Stereo 1962-72
    Ray Charles: Definitive ABC-Paramount Singles Collection(STEREO)

Of course, the Beatles catalog overhaul which is overdue.

And finally, some more quad mixes put on DTS audio discs.

Well, Bob, you asked....:D

ED:cool:

3. Bob Lovely

Ed,

Very thorough lists! Certainly, I am very supportive of your ideas on all three (3) of your lists. The Mono list is very compelling. I would love to see the Sam Cooke Mono mixes released, especially. However, great suggestions all around - good job!

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

While I don't *think* it's complete (and doesn't have B-sides), Steve's "Uh-Huh" 2 CD set would be a good start - that's all in stereo.

5. Bob Lovely

Luke,

Good point! Perhaps, that set could be revived or re-visited as a future release, as a SACD dual-layer hybrid.

Bob

6. Ed Bishop

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. You and me both would just:love: a Cooke singles box, and others here would buy one, I'm sure...and a box it would have to be, the man was very prolific. I love the stereo mixes, too, but as with most mono--the format mixed first--there are little unique things on so many of those songs you won't hear(or hear correctly)in stereo. The list itself pretty much sums up my wishes, period. If only a handful come out in the next few years, I'd be happy. A lot of these might be popular music for reissues, even now, but you mention mono and it's as if you've just done something illegal.
    Well, Abkco had no problem with mono before; maybe with a little nudge we could talk them into it.

7. Ed Bishop

I was thinking something along the lines of ALL the single sides, and quite a few of the B's charted as well, though not often very high as the '60 went on. I was also thinking that, what with the companies putting out DVDs in full screen and widescreen formats separately--with stickers or banners stating loudly which is which--this could be done for some CD reissues, too. One set could be mono, the other stereo. Why not? If it can be done for DVD, CD would seem just as logical.

Bob, I agree with the SACD angle. In the future, with a little luck, the hybrid will replace the regular CD, anyway(as long as they keep the price reasonable). Steve's work with Ray's catalog is an excellent choice!

8. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

From the original post:

"And of course, some missing stereo albums:
    Beach Boys: Today, Summer Days, Party, Smiley Smile"

I don't think there are true stereo mixes of these albums to issue -- certainly not to RE-issue.

There are of course stray tracks from each that made it to stereo for 45 rpm purposes (the ones Steve used on his Razor & Tie collection).

9. Ed Bishop

There aren't--yet--but the tapes are out there. Which is why it's so perfect for the wish list. "Pet Sounds" was at the top of mine for years until it finally happened, so I have hope the others will be fully redone for stereo, too. And we know the right man for the task, hangs around these parts...

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

If you are talking Buffalo Springfield in mono, then certainly the first album, which, according to a Neil Y. bio I'm reading, was mixed in mono with the bands involvement, while the stereo mix was done by the producers without the band even knowing about it. Apparently everyone hated the stereo mix from the very beginning.

11. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I had read this as well about the time that the HDCD Mono/Stereo re-master was released.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've heard that story. However, I've also heard (from Richie Furay, I believe) that the stereo mix was done first, and Steve and Neil said "we can do better". Apparently they went and mixed it in mono, but in the end, it wasn't any better than the stereo - the problems were in the original recordings, not in the stereo mix.

13. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Nice list of mono LP's, Ed. However, I have a question about VU's "White Light/White Heat". Was this actually mixed into mono or was the mono just a fold-down? This came out in early '68, when "true" mono mixing was on the way out. As much as I love the mono mix of the first VU album, I can't imagine hearing WL/WH in mono, especially "The Gift". This track was made with stereo in mind, the whole concept being that you could either listen to just the spoken-word piece or just the music by adjusting the balance control. Just curious...

A few more monos I would add to the list are:

Beatles: Help!
    Byrds: Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn! Turn! Turn!, Fifth Dimension, Younger than Yesterday
    Love: Forever Changes
    Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed
    Simon & Garfunkel: Complete Singles A's & B's
    The Who: The Who Sell Out

14. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Bob. Great idea for a thread!

Every recorded note by the Beatles has to be redone. Being somewhat fanatical. I want to hear every nuance of everything they played taken from four different source tapes:

1) the newly mixed 5.1 - the chance to hear the works from all around. Music mostly in the front but let's be creative with some of the songs. For example, the partyers in Yellow Submarine can be all around clinking their glasses.
    2) the newly remixed stereo tape (all composites taken from their first generation source and synchronized). Probably SACD but 45rpm LP is nice too.
    3) a proper remastering of the original stereo tapes
    4) a proper remastering of the original mono tapes

I want to hear the music as it was and as it can be. The mixing and mastering has to be done properly by someone who knows how. Guess who? - it'll mean less time to respond to questions at the forum.

Other favorites that haven't been done well:

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside. The mid-eighties English pressing is not bad but a decent remaster using better equipment is in order. Unfortunately EMI are likely to NR it to death if they do it and Steve will be busy on the Beatles....
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard, Layla (see recent thread)
    Yardbirds - unknown tape availability, doubtful if first generation tapes have been used during prime Gomelsky years.
    Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (latest remaster is too bright)
    The Animals - the best sounding CD set has been No-noised, say no more
    Various Who, Monkees, Rolling Stones
    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow. It may be unrealistic because you'd have to remix to get decent sound and it's unknown if the multis exist.
    The Doors - Okay Steve's version is great until you hear that it's from a second generation, slowed down and processed copy. How about the original?
    John Lennon has been much abused on CD. Let's remix WITHOUT No-noise.

How this for now?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What's wrong with Layla? I've heard the MoFi is good, and the original Polydor is pretty good too. I've heard Steve's mastering of the title track, and really, the differences between it and other versions aren't all that great. It's not as if a "better" mastering would make it sound tons better or anything...

16. John B

Steve mastered it. Which version? I wondered from the wording in the Layla thread but I wasn't clear.

Let me go back and listen to the three different versions I own before I answer your question.

Back soon.

17. John B

Layla doesn't sound that great to me. As Steve and Sckott say in the other thread, the drums are mushy and the higher frequencies are mostly hiss. The 1990 remix suggests there is more there to hear but there is a disconcerting amount of extra music in the remix. The guitar dubs come in louder in different places.
    As you say Luke, another master won't make a ton of difference. This one could use a new more faithful mix.

18. Bob Lovely

John,

I agree, ultimately, there is only one Man for the job!

Bob:D

19. Ed Bishop

On the VU: I'm not sure either. But WHITE LIGHT was, as I recall, released in late 1967; didn't chart until 3/68. That doesn't prove anything, but I have a mispressed early '70s stereo copy with Side 2 in mono. I can't say I hear anything excessively different, but still...and you're right, "The Gift" was 2-track, with Cale on one side, the "Booker T" instrumental on the other. Love to hear the latter in stereo. I made a cassette once isolating the channels: Cale's voice in mono(you can hear the music very, very faintly in the background), then the instrumental(you really have to listen close for Cale; he's barely a whisper).
    Can't believe I forgot the Byrds' regular releases; duh! "Forever Changes" doesn't have anything radical going on that I can hear; sounds like a fold. On the other hand, the original Elektra 45 version of "Alone Again Or"/"A House is Not A Motel" was stereo, has a 2:50 edit for the A-side, and sounds like it has that 'breath of life,' back when those tapes were young. SELL OUT....Another duh! Must have been a separate mono mix for that, and another fine choice, but given how their remasterings have gone recently, maybe better to let that lie awhile...and, of course, HELP! is a gimme. Well, time to update that list:D . There are probably a few others, a bit more obscure. I debated on the Paupers, the first Sly(A WHOLE NEW THING, which has a mono pressing), Traffic(UK MR. FANTASY), the first two Cowsills(the debut is a distinct mono mix, which I have, and I'd bet WE CAN FLY is, too, but I don't have a mono for that one). I should have added to the stereo list Sam The Sham's material, like REVUE/NEFERTITI, which was true stereo and had "Black Sheep"( Bill Inglot used the mono mix for PHARAOHIZATION, but the stereo mix is right there with the mono, would have been a better choice for that CD, but he was in a mono kind of mood, so...). I also forgot Nico's CHELSEA GIRL in mono, though again, I don't hear anything really different about it(maybe I should listen again, just to be sure). Is there a mono mix for LET IT BLEED? Would be fun...
    Again, hats off to Bob for coming up with a brilliant thread idea; what we're really seeming to do here is fill in mono/stereo catalog blanks, rather than just list albums we're not happy with on CD and just want remastered by Mr. H.
    While I'm thinking of it: anybody out there ever located a mono pressing of Judy Collins' WILDFLOWERS? I haven't, and I was wondering if it had the mono[45]take of "Both Sides Now"? That's another one for Dick Bartley, if he ever gets around to more ON THE RADIO volumes.

20. Bob Lovely

Ed,

No more coffee this morning, alright? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good discussion topics, by the way!

I would love to see releases on dual layer SACD's of many of the Mono mixes of vintage recordings that have never been released. However, there is also a good number of Stereo mixes that are MIA, as well.

Your earlier post of lists, respectively, was very well done in this regard.

21. Ed Bishop

Coffee? I've only just begun:winkgrin:

I really dig your idea of the dual layer SACD, adding mono mixes. There's certainly room on a disc to do that.

John's idea of 5.1 Beatles will sound of heresy to some, but the Beatles would be great in multi-channel. Beyond that, as long as the original stereo mix is included in hi-rez, why would anybody bitch?(Well, ok, we know the answer to that). It will be DVD-A, though: EMI has already decided on the format.. DVD-A would be perfect for: hi-rez 5.1, stereo, and mono. DTS, DD 5.1, stereo and mono would fill out a disc nicely. And since both sides of the disc can be used(note CAPTAIN & ME)the stereo can be on one side, mono the other. So simple it might work. Now if only we can talk Apple Corps into it, EMI will go for it. Unfortunately, I keep thinking it would be easier to get a boulder up a hill by myself than getting these guys to sign off on something this good.

22. Bob Lovely

Ed,

Of course, the real key to remastering The Beatles the way we want it to be done is for a certain Mastering Engineer to get ahold of "the right" tapes and then have that certain Mastering Engineer "hole up" for several months to re-master them.

SACD - I cannot wait to hear Mono mixes in hi-rez! I have started looking at players!

Keep drinking that coffee Ed!:laugh:

Bob;)

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To answer your previous question, Steve's version of Layla is on Rock Of The 70s Vol 5. It's good, but IMO there's not a lot that separates it from other versions.

As far as a remix goes, I'm not really sure how much one would help. The drum sound on the remix is *slightly* less mushy, but I think that's pretty much the sound of those drums, like it or not. Yeah, you could get a bit less hiss with a remix, but I don't think there are too many other great improvements to be made.

I do have *one* love with the existing remix - the beginning of Keep On Growing. There's a tiny percussion fill in the intro not on the original mix, plus that (IMO) killer scream from Eric. I liked them so much I added them to the original mix...

As far as the remix goes in general, though, I don't know what they were thinking when they wrote the notes to the box set. They claimed to try and closely match original LP copies and such, but the variations are often really big from the original mix. Different guitar parts brought up, totally different echo, etc... Check out the guitar solo in Keep On Growing. On the original mix, it is really dry - it basically sounds like you're listening to Eric's guitar amp in the studio. On the remix, though, there's a lot of "big guitar" echo added to it, which totally changes the feel of the solo...

But I digress.

At any rate, I really don't think a remix would do much more than reduce the tape hiss a bit. Other than that, I think it's pretty much "what you hear is what you get".

24. John B

Thanks, I didn't know that Steve did Layla. Earlier you listed four CD master sources for the Layla album. Add two more for the song itself: the Steve Hoffman remaster and the 1987 remix for Crossroads (the latter being too harsh IMO and inferior to the '90 remix).

I tend to agree with you that there is not a lot more to be done for the album and it does have its period charm. I'll check out Eric's killer scream and the other parts you mention later on.

25. John B

Ed, Yes a controversial subject, but I feel the above solution has something for everyone and in the case of the Beatles I am greedy and want all.
    Here's a link from the pre-Ed days (a barren time!;)) if you want to explore the remix issue.
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4059&highlight=remix+the+beatles+gasp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.