Relatively unknown, but GREAT live albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D.H., Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This one. Easily in my Top 10 live albums of all-time. This thing smokes from front to back. Every time I listen to it I come away saying to myself, "Damn I wish I had been there!" That's the mark of a classic live album.[​IMG]

2. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Nice one. And one of the great "lost live albums" is the Fairport/Led Zep jam that took place after this show and was recorded by Joe Boyd. Still locked up tight in the vaults according to Boyd. My guess is he lives in fear of Peter Grant's ghost coming back to haunt him if it's ever officially released.

Love,
    Billy

footlooseman and jay.dee like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Great sounding live recordings preserved IN MONO; and gone is that awful fake stereo sound.
    Also included, are a number of additional live recordings sprinkled throughout this set.

4. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

One of the best of Charles Aznavour:

[​IMG]

footlooseman and entropyfan like this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

If I am not mistaken, this was recorded here in sleepy London, Ontario.....of all places.
    I have never seen a copy.

6. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

War- the Music Band Live. Killer version of "Gypsy Man."
    [​IMG]

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Charles Brown - One More For The Road on Alligator. I think this was the beginning of his comeback and it's just great. Any fan of this type of music should pick up this cd. It is still in print. Cheesy cover, great album.

[​IMG]

shutdown66 and kellys like this.
  8. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Yes, recorded at Dr. Rockit's there! It's definitely worth tracking down a copy. (There's a cassette and an LP on eBay right now, but the CDs seem to be relatively scarce for some reason.)

9. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

10. AlBowly

AlBowly Forum Resident

The Angels - Liveline
    Great Australian rock from the 80's. Crowd really into it. RIP Doc Neeson.

Don Dixon - Chi-Town Budger Show
    A live album rarity that combines a warts and all, no (or very little) overdubbed recording, a crowd really into it and versions of the songs that put the studio versions to shame.

Farmer Mike and Fullbug like this.
  11. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

The O'Jays - Live in London

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Three Argentine live gems:
    [​IMG]
    Astor Piazzolla y su Quinteto: En vivo en el Teatro Regina. Recorded and released in 1970, this live album is one of the most exhilaratingly beautiful and intense albums I've ever heard.

[​IMG]
    Serú Girán: Yo no quiero volverme tan loco. Fantastic live recording from 1981. A great moment for one of the best bands ever.

[​IMG]
    Luis Alberto Spinetta: Spinetta y las bandas eternas. In 2009, Spinetta reunited all the bands he had been part of during his extensive career and played an epic five-hour-long show. Not a cheap nostalgic event, but a real festival of excellence.

danielbravo likes this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Another one that I've come to love is Television's Live at the Old Waldorf. I know that a lot of people prefer the bootleg, The Blow Up, but I think that this is an excellent performance with solid sound quality. Though it lacks some of the fire of that older performance, the band is still in very good form. This was from the Adventure tour, an album that I've come to appreciate more over the years, so it's nice to hear some of this later material. "Ain't That Nothin" is a particular highlight, but I enjoy it start to finish.

Stat1516 and jay.dee like this.
  14. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

Little Feat, "Down upon the Suwannee River" , a 2003 release of a 2000 recording in Florida, in support of the "Chinese Work Songs" tour. Yes, like the Grateful Dead, there are lots of good sounding free live performances to be had, but this official "Hot Tomato" will probably be a first & last pressing only, until sold-out, as Little Feat had had enough of their own record company, Hot Tomato Records... The old tunes are played superbly, as with the new tunes !!!

Anyhow, the performances are something special, & the sound quality is absolutely bliss...I'm not sure what was in the water they were drinking, or what they may have been smoking, but this record I place as a very secret weapon to topple the stubborn "Waiting for Colombus" crowd with LOL !

In years to come, those that have this 2-disc rare gem will be counting themselves really lucky ! Get it while you still can !

Cheers,

Gregster

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The Electric Prunes - Stockholm '67.

troggy and jay.dee like this.
  16. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac "Shrine '69", a diamond in its purest form. All speak about the Boston Tea Party (which is a fantastic triple album) but here in the simplicity of this recording by Dinky Dawson one can perceive the atmosphere of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac on stage during the 1969 american tour.
    One of my favorites

[​IMG]

17. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

+1 for this...

18. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

I always loved this Morning Becomes Eclectic session by The Eels and as soon as I found out that it got an official CD release I bought it right away. This is my best live in the studio in the studio performance I've ever heard. A nice mix of covers (the opening I'm A Loser Beatles cover is great) and lots of originals that I like better than the album versions.
    http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/eels-2

19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Hacienda Brothers-Music for ranch and town. It doesn't get much better in live music than this incendiary performance. Unfortunately, OOP.

20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yes, it was. My brother had it on cassette.

21. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Paul Kelly Live May 1992.

Solo acoustic highlighting Australia's best songwriter.

AlBowly likes this.
  22. Fela Kuti + Ginger Baker is incredible

D.H. and danielbravo like this.
  23. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

eeglug and slstokes2216 like this.
  24. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians - Gotta Let This Hen Out!

[​IMG]

Telemark and Tristero like this.
  25. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The Fugs - Golden Filth, recorded June '68 at the Fillmore East. Definitive versions of Slum Goddess, I Couldn't Get High, Nothing, and Supergirl.

[​IMG]

skydropco and Mr. LP Collector like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.