Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I've been wondering about what works have been created, but then the artists forbade their release for one reason or another - either only giving fans a glimpse of them, or hiding them completely.

Obviously a lot has been said about two of the more notable ones - They Might Be Giants' first music video and ABBA's "Just Like That", but I was curious if there were any others! I mean, the Esher demos could almost fit in here; we got a handful on "Anthology 3", but the Beatles have knocked down the possibility of a full-length 'Beatles Unplugged' LP, despite George attempting to put one out in the late Eighties.

(Note: No, the 'Let It Be' film DOESN'T apply as a 'forbidden release', because it has seen a commercial release many times, just not recently!)

2. porpoise mouth

porpoise mouth Well-Known Member

Bob Seger - Brand New Morning.

Seger hated the LP and once joked that the only copy he had was "buried in his backyard."

3. Uncle John

Uncle John Member

I heard it was the masters that got buried hence never been a legit reissue.

porpoise mouth likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

We only saw stills from The Rolling Stones' Rock And Roll Circus film for decades. Now we can get it on DVD with extras and a nice LP or CD to match!

[​IMG]

Maurice, sekaer, Mark Wilson and 5 others like this.
  5. TheLazenby

And the bootlegs supposedly holding R'n'R Circus material often had completely unrelated stuff, usually with acts not involved in the real event.

6. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Heart - Magazine

Released with a disclaimer on the cover.

DiabloG, audiotom, RevUp64 and 3 others like this.
  7. beccabear67

Oh yeah, 'Magazine', there are still two different mixes of that, the initial one was pulled as Heart had gotten no input on it.

John Adam and Jrr like this.
  8. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Wasn't there a Milli Vanilli album with the ACTUAL guys singing that went unreleased?

9. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Was Buckingham/Nicks forbidden or is it a record dispute? I do know Hoodoo by John Fogerty is something he tried to erase.

10. beccabear67

It just hasn't been on properly licensed CD. It was available on LP and cassette 'back in the day'.

bleachershane and deany76 like this.
  11. TheLazenby

Sort of.

"Rob and Fab" had them singing for real, and did see release around 1993, though not a very large one, because the record company behind it was struggling.

There was also a true Milli Vanilli album called "Back And In Attack" (1998), which featured Rob and Fab alongside the GYKIT-era singers, but Rob's sudden death prevented its release.

12. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Add C Sucker's Blues to the Stones' repertoire of unreleased stuff.

At least we got the numerous attempts at Reggae Keith wanted to put out. :D

McLover, AZRunner and Fullbug like this.
  13. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Same with "Back In '72" and "Noah". '72 is a great album and Id include it in his top 5 albums. "Noah"?, not so much. It's more a curiosity from his career at that point, and I can see his refusal to re-release that one.

McLover and porpoise mouth like this.
  14. vernon

vernon Well-Known Member

Would Roadhouse Garden by Prince qualify?

Thwacko and TheLazenby like this.
  15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Despite the negativity from John Fogerty, his "Hoodoo" album was enjoyable. Of course, that's based on the rough versions found on unofficial releases.
    [​IMG]

16. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

There are difference's among:
    1) an artist legally preventing a release
    2) sitting on finished or unfinished material
    3) dissembling a project by farming out parts of it to other projects
    4) reaching an understanding with the label that releasing something that they have every right to release would negatively impact any business relationship that they currently have or hope to have in the future.
    As an example, I think Capital owns all of those post Cameo/Parkway Bob Seger masters, but will not release any of it because it would mess up whatever deal they currently have with him.

Mr Sam, Ethan B and BeSteVenn like this.
  17. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I believe the story behind the new stereo and multichannel mix of "Meddle", which is on one of the Blu Rays in the Pink Floyd Early Tears box set is that the new mixes hadn't been heard or approved by Roger Waters so they were pulled at the last minute.

Fortunately, the menus were edited to stop anyone from playing the files on a Blu Ray machine, but the music files themselves were left on the disc and can be ripped.

MungoMusic, coffeetime, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  18. francocozzolives

francocozzolives Well-Known Member

I guess in an unfortunate sense you could say that Badfinger were forbidden to release anything under a new label because of:

Not Badfinger's fault; their manager was a criminal con man. But Badfinger couldn't contact him to end the contract.

19. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

There is a completely unreleased album by the Black Metal band OFERMOD. It was recorded, mixed and mastered in its entirety, but withdrawn.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  20. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

And his early singles.

21. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Ringo Starr - The Memphis album from the 80s?
    Did this ever get released in any shape, way or form?

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

We're talking about official releases? I'm surprised to hear about Heart's Magazine. That was a huge seller. Two mixes? So the first pressing was not the approved one? What did the disclaimer say?

We're not supposed to count bootlegs here, but The Cars' Candy-O early studio recordings are fantastic.

Keith V likes this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Smile, as a whole. Brian forbade it, and it'll never be released because it was never completed.

24. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Gregg Allman's "One More Try" Anthology was pulled by Gregg pretty quickly.
    Not sure why. Two discs of mostly acoustic demos but there is Johnny Winter, Buddy Miles and Berry Oakley on a version of "Wasted Words".

I talked to the folks at Hittin' the Note and they said it will not be reissued.
    I grab them whenever I see them in the used bins and give them as gifts to friends
    Currently have I think three, they still pop up.

[​IMG]

phillyal1, clhboa, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

They even got a spot on "Arsenio" performing the single but the record company couldn't handle any demand so, as you said, the record was doomed.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.