Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer from the members of Green Day as to why Cigarettes And Valentines failed to see the light of day, though I'm aware of four very different theories:

1. The masters were reportedly stolen (yet curiously never leaked), and it was decided the backup tapes just didn't have the same impact. As of November last year, the band has confirmed they now have the tapes in their possession again, but still don't plan on releasing this material.

2. Several interviews had the songs described as not entirely being up to scratch, and after going back to the drawing board, the band supposedly came up with American Idiot instead. However, they did at least recycle Too Much Too Soon as a single b-side during this period.

3. Many fans remain convinced the entire project was released as Money Money 2020 by The Network, which I'm not convinced is the case, especially when the lost album was supposedly closer to Kerplunk and Insomniac musically, which their new wave diversion certainly wasn't!

4. In addition to the title track being played live a few years ago along with Olivia, it's known that Walk Away was remade for ¡Tré! and Youngblood from Revolution Radio is based on a heavily rewritten outtake dating back to the unreleased 2003 project, so we've heard some of it...

I suspect the truth is somewhere between these wildly conflicting possibilities, and that it simply wasn't good enough, found itself shelved then partly revisited in various contexts. With enough time, I reckon we'll be able to assemble a decent approximation of recordings or ideas originating from the C&V era, maybe even a full LP worth.

2. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

I totally agree, especially when they have all those fantastic unreleased studio cuts that have never seen the light of day officially. A CD of those should've been released instead. Even the tunes that are just working band versions (not talking about the piano/bass/vocals-only demos) are mostly closer to their standard of perfection.

If they really wanted to do a live album right, they should've waited a year or so and released the best cuts from the '96 Manassas show and included "Jack of Speed" in its non rinky-dink version.

Keith V and deany76 like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Woah, they got the tapes back? Interesting. They could do something about it when an anniversary's gonna happen maybe.

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Not doubting your account, but are there any confirmed sources for this? I've always heard the recording sessions were fraught and a bit of a nightmare for all involved and they did the best they could with the time available.

5. Based on this recent interview, they can't even give a definitive answer as to whether the masters are in the vault or not, and I certainly wouldn't hold your breath for an anniversary release:

Green Day on their 'lost' album 'Cigarrettes And Valentines'

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, they never gave definitive answers about that 'lost' album. Actually, in general, I doubt that they ever recorded any tracks for that.^^

7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Cat Stevens recorded a live show in Japan in 1974, which was released on vinyl, as "Saturnight", in Japan only. A few years ago, Universal went so far as to remaster this, along with many tracks that were part of the concert but not on the original LP, and sent it to Cat (now Yusuf Islam) for final approval. Yusuf apparently vetoed the release as he felt the performance wasn't up to snuff.

I was fortunate enough to hear a copy of this. It may not have been his greatest night out, but was still, imho, well worth releasing for the fans. A lost opportunity.

8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I have no proof of any kind that this is an accurate account, but I remember reading a quote from Malcom Jones in which he said he was shocked by the poor quality of the Gilmour and Waters production in which he compared it to dirty linens out in public. I think I also read a quote from David Gilmour in which he admitted that he was trying to get back at Syd or show the world what he was really like. I do think I remember him citing the difficult sessions as his motivation for trying to get back at Syd. IIRC, the bulk of my information came from Wikipedia, so if there is conflicting information, mine is probably the incorrect one.

9. I can't find the source right now, but there was definitely an interview with Rob Cavallo a few years back where he confirmed 20 tracks were recorded - his opinion was that the material didn't have enough potential to make a good impact, especially coming after the disappointment of Warning, which many fans thought was too soft.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. nicktf

nicktf Forum Resident

Richard and Linda Thompson's "Shoot Out the Lights" was originally recorded, mixed and produced by Gerry Rafferty, who was financing it as the Thompson's lost their record contract after the poorly selling "Sunnyvista". Thompson and Rafferty fell out over creative control and the Thompsons re-recorded the whole thing with Joe Boyd.

Some of the Rafferty tracks have since been released.

MungoMusic and Hep Alien like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm okay. So there's at least tiny hope.

ShardEnder likes this.
  12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Ha! Musical ears maybe, and I can't speak for Gilmour, but I've always LOVED that version on Madcap, but not so much on Opel. Barrett may go off key, but the emotion in that take is incredibly chilling. When he sings "Wouldn't you miss me at all?!" I feel like he's really crying out in desperate sadness.

In that particular case, I agree with the choice to include it.

13. As a massive fan of Warning and the two new tracks on International Superhits, I'd definitely welcome more of the same...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

It can't be worse than the sound of the original - and I am happy that it is being released. I have a bootleg yellow label Epic copy which is bad, and a pristine Columbia Special Products red label copy that sounds pretty good. There's some fine guitar work in there. :cool:

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Woah, I truly missed such important news! Any exact dates of the release already?

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Sheryl Crow's original debut album, Sheryl Crow (no relation to the later album of the same name), was scheduled for release on September 22, 1992. Produced by Hugh Padgham, it was assigned a catalog number by A&M, and sone advance cassettes and press kits were sent out, but it was canceled by mutual agreement.

bartels76 likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Beatles - Carnival Of Light (1967)
    An experimental recording of the Fabs for a psychedelic festival, eventually the tape was played in the public back then but forgotten quickly.
    Later (1990s) it was suggested for the Anthology project but George (Harrison) gave a a veto. Until now it's not released in any format, not even available on bootlegs.

MungoMusic likes this.
  18. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

The first one did. The second one, the real "comeback", was not because one of them died.

19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

No, she was less than thrilled about being asked to autograph one after a show, I'm pretty sure she refused. Said she had nothing to do with putting it together and wasn't told it was coming out.

Hep Alien and stereoptic like this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

both stills and young have disavowed the 9 minute version of 'bluebird'.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Likewise....

Apparently, if you approach Meatloaf with the reissue of "Stoney and Meatloaf" (with that ridiculous 'face made out of food' cover), his reaction will be hostile.

To say the least.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The long version of Bluebird by Buffalo Springfield on the double LP "Buffalo Springfield" compilation was released without the approval of either Neil Young or Stephen Stills and do not allow Rhino to reissue this version at all.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't think Ozzy's a big fan of The Ultimate Sin.

24. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I've owned this 2LP compilation since it was issued in 1972 (?) or so. I'm still waiting for them to issue the long version of 'Bluebird', 40+ years on. Sadly, we may have to wait until Neil and Stephen have both passed before there is any chance of it being released. By which point, of course, there won't be enough folks left to care.

To quote a currently popular pundit: "Sad."

phillyal1 likes this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In other words, this is a definitive deal for this thread.

sherrill50 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.