Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

He's pretty big and a little loopy, so I don't see that as a good move, if you want to keep the album intact.

john lennonist likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Varese had access to a live show by the Lovin Spoonful. Sebastian vetoed the release. This was awhile ago, Zal was still alive.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I think this version of 'Bluebird' may also fit the thread on songs that were edited together to make a longer version.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks! How do the two versions differ?

5. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

For the umpteenth time on this forum, this was NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN a U2 album. Negativeland just stole the name for the publicity.

Electric likes this.
  6. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I was asked to do the liner notes for that Aimee Mann compilation, and of course I really wanted to. I got in contact with her to see about doing an interview for it, and that's when I found out that not only was she unhappy about it, but she was looking into legal action to try to stop it. I'm not sure how that part got resolved, but naturally I respected her wishes and refrained from doing anything for the project. (I did do liner notes for the similar Maria McKee release Hip-o put out shortly before that, which Maria was fine with and did an interview for. Unfortunately, cheesy cover design was kind of a staple of that series, the Aimee and Maria releases both included.)

phillyal1, Hep Alien, davers and 2 others like this.
  7. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I'm about 99.98 percent sure the original post was a joke.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

Sounds like a coll album.

Can I be your friend?

9. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Dylan's Eat the Document

Chemguy likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ronaldo and Clara is kind of close, isn't it? I've got a bootleg VHS of that oneā€¦ It's four hours that I'll never get back.:agree:

john lennonist and blueslover99 like this.
  11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

And I thought that joke was such a dead dog you could call in a request on it, for an goddamn upbeat number.

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The first Steely Dan single of "Dallas" and "Sail The Waterway" has been pretty much disowned by Becker and Fagen since it appeared on a 12" single in the UK in the mid 70s. I believe they have refused to allow those tracks to be reissued since.

Scope J and marc with a c like this.
  13. downer

downer Senior Member

This thread and the wiki article linked within talk about the album.

Heart- "Magazine" the unauthorized LP

I'm not aware of a track-by-track analysis of the differences, but mostly it's rerecorded lead vocals on some tracks, a couple of edits in the two live tracks and a bit more polish and sheen on the overall production.
    Personally the remix disappointed me at the time, the original has a rawness that I find enjoyable.

14. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Wasn't the song called "U2" and the band called Negativland? :)

51IS likes this.
  15. Farmer Mike

She sounded really unhappy about the hand-off from Imago to Geffen/DGC, which is too bad because the label people that I dealt with seemed really happy to be working her record. I've met her a few time going back to Til Tuesday and she has been very guarded just about every time, unless you can get in with a conversational angle she is into. One thing I liked about that series is they did use some odd ball tracks. Aimee only had 2 albums to draw from, so you'd have to dig deep to fill it up. Some of that art work was pretty cheesy. I'll have to dig up my copy of the Maria McKee. Now her's is a career I wish had gone differently.

phillyal1, Hep Alien and davers like this.
  16. Farmer Mike

Still beating that horse? Let's not get this one deleted.

vince likes this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

It was a figure of speech. The tapes are in the Hideout archives.

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

yep.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The long version of Bluebird WAS released on CD. On an Atlantic rock compilation from the late 80s. I had the set but it was stolen and by then it was out of print. And yes, Stills and Young HOWLED!

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I'm relying on memory here - a friend of mine at the time got a copy of the original LP release - I may have made a reel recording of that LP then - if so I'll never find it. I was not a particular Heart fan, just interested even then in the rare stuff. The main thing I remember is the song "Heartless" has completely different vocals from the re-recorded vocals version. In the original they sing "Heartless, Heartless" pretty plainly all through it, in the re-record they sing "Heartless, Heart-le-eh-eh-ess" up or down notes all through it. That redone version became the radio hit. The original vocals, which were released on the unauthorized album, were not intended to be their final vocals.
    After the lawsuit, which they only half won, the band angrily went in and re-recorded parts, certain tracks on the multitracks of the studio tracks, and "happily erased the original tracks" one article somewhere said, and mixed it the way they wanted it, under duress and anger, and it was re-released that way. The live tracks, I think, were never intended to be released, and were only on the unauthorized version to fill space.

junk and davers like this.
  21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Y'know, you're right.
    I do remember that now, that it was a Ferry and NOT a Roxy album.

22. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Not sure if this is applicable to this thread, but The Clash disowned the film Rude Boy.

23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Michelle Shocked had to knock out a compilation to get out of her label contract
    She named it Mercury Rising

On the obligation end

King Crimson's third 80s studio album was titled Three of a Perfect Pair

On Steely Dan's Monkey in your Soul they slyly mention their recording comitment

I got one and you want four
    It's so hard to help you
    I can't keep up with you no more
    And you treat me like it's a sin

24. KASHMIR

KASHMIR Forum Resident

Of course, Buckingham-Nicks seems to fit the bill since we are still waiting it's release.

25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Alanis Morissette has the dubious distinction of having two albums she would rather have you forget. Her first two albums, Alanis and Now Is The Time, were released in Canada only in the early 1990s. They feature a very different style from the massively popular Jagged Little Pill, and are firmly grounded in lightweight synth-driven pop. Despite selling 33 million copies of Jagged Little Pill, nobody decided it was right to reissue the first two albums... as their mere existence might totally shatter the alternative rock image she later took on.

Here are a couple of samples from those early albums (with the first video featuring a pre-Friends Matt LeBlanc):

Alanis Morissette - Too Hot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.