REM - Automatic For The People new vinyl question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pug, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns! Thread Starter

I see that REM Automatic For The People is currently in print on vinyl. Has anyone heard this? For $12 at the usual suspects (Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, etc..), I'm wondering if this is worth picking up.

Thanks for the feedback! :wave:

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Can't speak to any reissue, but the original is one of the pest sounding pieces of vinyl that I own.

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:righton: same here.

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

ummm, that should read "best.":sigh:

5. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I went through two copies last year from my local indie store and they both had a strange wobbly sound through the whole record I detailed in my original thread below. I then ordered a copy from the Great Escape, same thing. I've changed cartridges, same thing.

I'm not making this up; I'm giving up on this one. I've got the CD. I'll pick up an original vinyl or a future reissue someday.

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=121641&highlight=automatic

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns! Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

If it's the same LP then I'll pass. Thanks! :wave:

7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I just bought a NM copy off ebay - appears to be an original vinyl pressing on WB. It was all good up until the end of "Man On The Moon" - a strange tremelo effect was evident on the fade. When the gorgeous piano intro to "Nightswimming" began, I realized something was horribly wrong. The piano sounds as if someone is sitting on the turntable - not subtle. The center hole is NOT off - the record played fine up until this point. I've never heard anything this off on a clean and otherwise sweet sounding record. The warble is seriously messed up. Anyone know the source of this problem? I really wanted a good playing copy of this one. :confused:

8. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Yup; it was "Nightswimming" that the problem becomes obvious. I've never heard or seen an explanation. Never had a record sound like that.

If it was sold in the pre-CD days, they would've had to fix it, but you just get a shoulder shrug now.

9. Mogul

Mogul Forum Resident

My copy is like that too....pretty disappointing.

10. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

I have a later pressing that does not have this problem. It's a DMM cutting mastered at Precision by T.D. The original mastering was done by Stephen Marcussen at Precision. Is this Marcussen pressing the one that is giving you the problems?

11. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Deadwax is hard to read. Something like "KAGCATM", some numbers crossed out, and "1-45055-2-SR1-B" or "-A".

Grawlix likes this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Could it be KG@ATM?

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I had exactly the same problem with a sealed pressing I bought last year at a local record store. I returned it for a credit on some other LPs but I always hoped to find another one without that problem since the rest of the LP sounded tremendous.

14. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Wasn't this a digital recording to begin with?

15. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

I'm with RadioClash on this one -- I just checked, and we have the same pressing, and I don't seem to have this problem, either.

16. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Yeah, I compared with my "Icky Thump" and "Moondance", and it's similar, with a middle initial for who I assume is Kevin Gray, minus the SH. The "@" sorta looks like a "C".

Sure doesn't sound as good as either of the other releases.

17. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

No mention of Precision or DMM in the deadwax?

18. Tristan

Tristan Member

I have had both the German and the US vinyl.

The German copy blows the US version out of the water. "Monty" sounds great on this copy - especially the beginning guitar on the track. "Ignorland" has much more sonic impact on the German copy. Really don't care much for the US version - was very disappointed with it.

19. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

No; what I've posted above is all I see.

I can sort of understand noisy vinyl on a low cost release like this, but not fouled up sound.

20. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'll post info if it helps others. Like the copy RadioClash has, my U.S. copy does not have this problem. I bought it used so I'm not sure how old it is.

Side 1: 1 - 45055-A-SR1-DMM-SP2-1 T.D. Precision (The "2"in SP2 is written over a "1", and there's something crossed out between the 1 and 45055)

Side 2: 1 - 45055-B-SR1-DMM-SP1-1 T.D. Precision (Like side 1, there's something crossed out between the 1 and 45055)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yeah, the German/UK pressing is the one you want.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

this topic still is confusing me!

first can PLEASE use discogs when talk about a pressing: http://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/master/57830

1. please really, someone can post the complete deadwax info or point the the discogs link of the affected release.
    is this???? http://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/release/375110 (after read it seems are some US pressings).

2. some say that german press is not affected
    is this?? http://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/release/736266

also! some say that sounds great: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...eople-new-vinyl-question.165977/#post-4766568
    but and some other say that sounds very bad: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...eople-bad-pressing.121641/page-2#post-7023594

3. REISSUES
    2003 REISSUE: http://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/release/4699115
    DELUXE 180G http://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/release/3866356
    any info about the reissues:
    are not affected by the issue?
    they sounds better than the 1st US or German first press?

please guys, help to me clarify this ;)

crispi likes this.
  23. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I have a US pressing I bought sealed off eBay about 10 years ago with the wobbly piano on Nightswimming. (I also had a US pressing I bought the day it was released that I no longer own that sounded fine.)

Here's Side 1 deadwax:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Side 2 deadwax:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grawlix likes this.
  24. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

You won't be disappointed if you can pick up one of these in good condition..... Original German pressing, Side 1 matrix: WMME ALSDORF 936 245055 - 1-A. Ditto for side 2 except for... 1-B.
    Mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Precision Mastering on inner sleeve.

No tremelo effect and a superb recording. Think I'll give it a spin...........:)

8tracks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.