Remake The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rhett, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I think the problem with TLJ for folks who didn't enjoy it on a normal level (vs. the more aggressive haters - and it's a shame that people who simply didn't enjoy the film seem to be getting lumped in with the lunatic fringe by so many) is that when you're not "into" the film you aren't absorbed enough for suspension of disbelief. I thought about why it was that the slow moving gravity dependent bombers bothered me so much when far more ridiculous things in other films (Star Wars or otherwise) didn't - it's that I wasn't sucked into the movie. I wasn't outraged at any character arcs or the political agenda people seem to be reading into or any of that - it just wasn't my cup of tea, and that was it. I think for a lot of people, suspension of disbelief is earned when they "buy in" to the film, and when that doesn't happen things that would go completely overlooked get scrutinized.

nojmplease likes this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Hell, Star Trek isn't that scientifically accurate if one wants to scrutinize it.

Jim B. and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I think you are right to a degree, but the more aggressive haters as you call them tend to use said inconsistencies as a weapon to further validate their hate. It's not enough to say " i just didnt care for it." as you do. It's " this movie is complete garbage in every conceivable way and this is minute reason #124 why that its the worst movie ever made and if you like it you are an idiot and STAR WARS is RUINED for everyone forever!"

4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I'm 100% with you there. Unfortunately, simply not having enjoyed the movie is enough to get you lumped in with those folks by some of the more vigorous defenders (some of whom are every bit as bad as some of the more vigorous detractors).

David Campbell likes this.
  5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Wait a minute… you mean you cannot go to every planet in the galaxy wearing a t-shirt and no hat?

razerx likes this.
  6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Now that I have earned the “aggressive haters” label, I suppose I should stop posting here.

So I will just say one last thing, all the movies tend to have their “yeah right” moments, like the Ewok battle in ‘Revenge’ and the Arena battle in ‘Clones’.

But ‘The Last Jedi’ crossed this “yeah right” line too many times. So many times that the masses noticed and could no longer be silent.

mr. steak and nojmplease like this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think the key is that it needs to be consistent within itself. As an example, one of the issues with Star Trek is the transporter. Not that it exists but it that doesn't seem to have consistent rules when you can/can't use the transporter and the risks when using it (in Star Trek The Motion Picture we are given an illustration about what can go wrong with the transporter). How far away you are transporting, the material you are traveling through, and the risks seem to be a bit inconsistent.

Another example from the comics is with The Atom (Ray Palmer). They have consistently established that anyone can use his technology to shrink but if someone remains in that state too long they will explode unless they return to full size immediately. The exception is The Atom himself (who has an active metagene that allows him to remain small as long as he chooses without ill effect...many DC characters have special abilities due to an active metagene including some who originally got their abilities via technology like Black Lightning).

To sum up, although scientific accuracy might not be essential and can be overlooked so you can enjoy a story, internal consistency is essential and inconsistency can pull you out of the story.

Deesky and mr. steak like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I ain't gonna bet $100, but I would bet they won't kill her off-screen between movies.

I still think they won't kill her at all, but if they do, I think they'll find a way to make it part of E9, not some unseen "between films" event...

Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.