Remake The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rhett, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

My inside sources have revealed that indeed a Yellow submarine 2018 remake in the work starring CGI Bruce Willis.

(No just joking people!)

(Nothing is real)

(I think)

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A remix is not a remake, and it didn't replace the original. And there are many, many cases of albums being remixed. Much of the Beach Boys' catalog was remixed in stereo, but released alongside the original mono mixes, so fans could have the choice of listening to either one. I also think it can be argued that Let It Be... Naked was not a success, critically or financially.

I know of studio execs who would perform sexual favors for filmmakers that make a film that grosses $1.333 billion as The Last Jedi did. From their perspective, it's a huge success.

I feel like this is just a bunch of whiney Millennials screaming because they can't get exactly what they want. I got news for ya: life rarely gives you exactly what you want, especially when it's a creative work done by other people. You don't get to vote except by buying or not buying a ticket or buying the physical media or download. Stop believing you have the right or ability to force an artist to make a change simply because you want it. You are very wrong and delusional to believe otherwise.

I'll even defend bad artists for making the show, film, album, or anything else they think is right. I disliked the recent Twin Peaks sequel that David Lynch did, but at the same time I'd get extremely angry if somebody said, "hey, I'm going to go in and remake Twin Peaks the way I think it should've been made," or if they started a letter-writing campaign to force Lynch to withdraw the show and redo it according to their specifications. STFU! If you don't wanna watch it, don't watch it.

Again, I disliked the show and thought it was boring... but it had some interesting moments here and there. It's what I would call "a distinctive voice with bold choices," but not my thing. Not a horrible show, just not very good overall and with a lot of boring stuff, ultimately pointless. But well-shot, with terrific acting, amazing looks, and certainly some striking ideas. It's the role of the critic to merely post an opinion and then move on... not to campaign for the artist or the studio or the network to redo the work. That's just silly, pompous, arrogant, selfish, pig-headed, and obnoxious, on many different levels.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    showtaper, keefer1970, bferr1 and 6 others like this.
  3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I didn't see The Last Jedi because I just don't care to but was it that terribe of a movie or are a bunch of people getting all up in arms over nothing.

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

It's not a "few malcontents;" it's most star wars fans who saw it.

And, no, good and bad are certainly not subjective.

5. NettleBed

It is actually worse than all three of the prequels. It's because an inept, self-important "auteur" was at the helm.

If Disney had any inkling that this film would have generated as massively negative a response from fans as it has, they would have laughed Johnson out of the room when he made his pitch to do it.

The film can be remade at any time, and, given the way things in Hollywood tend to work, I think there is a greater chance that this will eventually get re-made than not. Because *everything* with a market for it gets re-made, not because of this current petition.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Good and bad are certainly subjective. You clearly don't know the definition of "subjective." And if you can't even concede that the views of some that didn't like the film are subjective, every argument you make regarding this film is invalid.

IronWaffle, Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  7. NettleBed

But I never said that none of the views of anybody who disliked the film were subjective.

8. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Pot...meet kettle...kettle,pot.

The lack of self awareness in your response is both sad and hilarious.

eddiel, Jim B. and Encuentro like this.
  9. David Campbell

Even in that case it wasn't because the fans demanded the Beatles to do it. It was done because Paul and Ringo never liked the changes made after Phil Specter was brought in by Alan Kline. In that case the artist themselves decided to change it back to what they originally intended for better or worse.

That's different from a group of spoiled 35 year old plus overgrown babies screaming to have a movie that was just only finished remade because they can't cope with the fictional developments of fictional characters whom they don't own.

Which is why a part of me wants it to happen and the money goals and the path cleared for them legally that they will have to actually do it. And then fail spectacularly and watch them fall flat on their faces so the sane Star Wars fandom both positive and negative towards TLJ can all unite in laughing at these idiots.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. David Campbell

Got any hard statistics on this? Scientific polling that proves this? If so provide a link.

And before you post the Rotten Tomatoes audience score...nope. That isn't scientific or accurate because we know it's been tampered with to some degree by review bombing and bot accounts.

GeoffC and Encuentro like this.
  11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I volunteer Jeff Lynne for the reboot!

ZippyPippy, Vidiot and steveharris like this.
  12. David Campbell

What i would like to know is this...how do you remake the Last Jedi as something canonical without the original actors? They do realise Carrie is dead, Adam,Daisy, John and Oscar would never agree to do it and Mark Hamil ( their supposed patron saint) is openly laughing at them on twitter, right?

I can see it now...

Bob from the local hardware store as Luke Skywalker.

13. David Campbell

With Olivia Newton-John and a CGI Gene Kelly joining in!
    (Wait...that sounds oddly familar...)

#remakeyellowsubmarinenow #notmuhbeatles

14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident Thread Starter

15. David Campbell

PLEDGED...as in verbally promised. Not actually raised. There's a huge difference there.

I suspect the actual money collected will be at best maybe one half of one percent.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

How would they handle a missing Leia in the remake?

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No-one hates Star Wars films more than Star Wars fans it seems LOL.

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

No, I didn't hate TLJ. I actually liked it a lot. Despite opening my previous response with the utmost respect for your point of view, your hurry to kick off a snarky reply convinces me that you did not read my entire post.

I hadn't ever thought of the premise of a do-over until I heard of the pledge campaign which incidentally I think is pretty lame. It will never happen (of course Disney wouldn't hand the keys to anyone despite how much money they might raise), nor will Disney ever do such a thing on their own. I was simply posing what I considered to be an interesting premise: What if Disney looked at this as an opportunity?

Yes, a what if on an internet discussion forum...imagine that?

19. David Campbell

Since Carrie is dead they would probably reuse some of her footage just to kill her off, because that's apparently a thing. The malcontents were so insensed by the ( admittingly awkwardly staged)Leia force pull scene they would rather see 90 percent of Carrie's last performance erased to make a neat and tidy end to her character. Oh and to make sure Leia isn't shown to be potentially as powerful as Luke because, blasphemy!!

However since these " film makers" wouldn't have access to the original actors anyway, they can just recast Leia too.

I think Sally, the sandwich builder at the local Modesta, California Subway would make a fine choice for Leia.

;)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. I also think that all the negative press when they fired the directors and went through massive reshoots didn’t help matters. One also has to question if doing a Han Solo origin styled film was really what any of the fans wanted. It was kind of like the reaction when Rogue One was first announced but the film was good enough (and given that we were between Star Wars films also had enough interest) to over come that hurdle. If you add in that Rogue One didn’t have the negative vibe associated with it due to reshoots, etc. that helped as well.

Disney is trying to make the Star Wars franchise into something like Marvel but without much of the vision that Marvel provides and Marvel has oodles of source material to choose from. I personally don’t think the a
    Preach they’ve taken with the series is necessarily the right one but, again, I see nothing wrong with what Johnson did. I fail to see how introducing humor into the series the way he did—which reflects what was also done in the original trilogy—somehow indicates a disrespect for the source material.

Vidiot and David Campbell like this.
  21. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Disney ignoring the heaps of well-loved SW extended-universe books is pure foolishness. They could have (maybe still could?) mine that vein for eons. I wonder what the other Rian Johnson trilogy will hold? Although, based on his choices for Ep. VIII, I'm not assuming it will be any good (or any fun!).

22. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Idk, I liked 'The Last Jedi' all right. It was entertaining enough for a popcorn flick about space adventures. But apparently there is now a massive online contingent of people who were so offended by this movie that they want it remade to their liking? I think some people take their Star Wars a bit too seriously. They're just movies, people.

Jim B., Encuentro and David Campbell like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya know what this film needs? All our focus groups point to...Ewoks! Just think, we could get a dubstep version of "Jub-Jub!" C'mon, you know you want it, who's with me...!

BZync and David Campbell like this.
  24. David Campbell

Well a lot of his choices for VIII were partially dictated by the choices made by Abrams, Ardt and Kasdan in VII.

For example, An embittered Luke who became disillusioned with the Jedi and became a hermit like Obiwan and Yoda before him wasn't Rian Johnson's idea.its what he was left to work with by the previous movie. We were told in the Force Awakens that Ben Solo turning to the Dark side shattered Luke and he went into exile...and that is pretty much what Johnson gave us in TLJ, yet people act like Johnson single handedly set about to ruin Luke's character when all he did was follow the path laid by the previous movie and trying to make sense of why Luke would have chosen that path.

Same with the complaints about the central conflict being essentially Empire vs. rebellion 2.0. That wasn't Johnson's doing, but Abrams. Yet I see people blaming Johnson for that.

IronWaffle likes this.
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The whole series needs redone with an all female cast except for some male dancers maybe. oh wait, haven't they been working on that already?

showtaper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.