DCC Archive remakes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pigmode, Oct 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigmode

pigmode Active Member Thread Starter

Are there any remakes that you consider to equal or surpass tha originals?

Don't laugh but I have a CD called Common Thread: Songs of the Eagles, which is a compilation done by a bunch of country-western artists. I prefer that Lyin' Eyes and Tequila Sunrise to the Eagles version.

Honorable mention would have to go to Strawberry Fields sung by Sandy Farina (?) off that funky Peter Frampton album. I usually can't stand Beatles remakes but she did it justice.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Just about every cover Tori Amos has done, including some Joni Mitchell stuff, and that speaks volumes. Especially when it's just girl & piano, she can effortlessly convince you! Everytime she releases an album, I dump the LP and go right to the outtakes and leftovers, and play that 1st. Sometimes it's covers. She's one of those artists who's B sides become more unforgettable then her openly conceptual LP.

3. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I prefer James Taylor's versions of "You've Got A Friend", "Up On The Roof" and "How Sweet It Is" to the original.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Van Halen's remake of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" and "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" are easily equals in my eye (or rather, ear). Better?... Nah... just extraordinarily different.

Which reminds me... I've always loved this quote (paraphrased) that I read in Rolling Stone a looong time ago: Van Halen took "You Really Got Me" and turned it from a prop plane into a fighter jet.

Ok.. other favorites:

Manfred Man's "Blinded By The Light". I can't even listen to Bruce Springsteen's version (hmm.. maybe that has to do with the fact that I don't care all that much for Bruce in general) :)

And of course: Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower" is a near perfect example of taking a song and making it one's own.

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

5. Matt

Matt New Member

The Beatles are my all-time favorites, and I love almost every cover they ever cut. "Twist & Shout," "Hippy Hippy Shake," "Money"...those cut the originals. "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby," "Words Of Love," and "Long Tall Sally" come close. Others like "You've Really Got A Hold On Me" and "Baby, It's You" are really good even if they don't match the original.

The Stones, for me, are a mixed bag (I mostly have a problem with Jagger's vocals on most of those early covers), but "Time Is On My Side" and "It's All Over Now" are amazing and definitive.

Van Morrison is great, though. Check out the stuff he does on "It's Too Late To Stop Now!" and a lot of the stuff he does with Them, like "Don't Look Back," "Baby Please Don't Go," and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue."

The original Sun artists are great. Jerry Lee can cut almost anyone, and Elvis, hell, he did a ton of them: "Good Rockin' Tonight," "That's All Right," "Hound Dog"...

Aretha's the same. Look at "Respect."

Otis Redding's great, too. His Beatles covers didn't work, but his Motown and Sam Cooke stuff is great.

Speaking of Motown, there's also the Band who outdid everyone on "Don't Do It."

Man, I can go on forever.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I was going to mention Time Is On My Side for another reason - The Stones themselves cut the song twice, and I think the Chess (second) version is far better than *their* original...

In fact, many of those Chess tracks are as good or better than the originals (also done for/at Chess). Ie, I Can't Be Satisfied.

Magic Sam made Sweet Home Chicago his own...

7. pigmode

Here's one: Red, Red Wine by UB40. Neil Diamond anyone? I didn't think so. Har.

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I like all the Byrds covers of Dylan. I don't know if I'm ready to say they're "better," but they're great on their own.

9. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I would define a remake as an artist re-recording his own original song. A "cover" is an artist showing "respect" to a song that somehow moved him/her/them (Aretha's "Respect" is a cover in that definition).

Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" is a cover.

The stereo version of "I've Been Loving You Too Long" by Otis Redding is a "remake" of the the original record.

Or has Uncle missed the point (again)?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, I'd say you're right on - as soon as I saw the topic I thought "Time Is On My Side" and not simply a cover...

11. pigmode

Thanks for the terminology :)

12. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Personally, I have always loved Frankie goes to Hollywood’s cover of “Born to Run”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.