Remember Me (2010 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Driver 8, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

Caught this last night - kind of a standard Romeo and Juliet story of two young lovers (Robert Pattinson and Emile de Ravin), each of whom has a tragic loss in their background, and each of whom has a distant father who opposes or just doesn't care about their relationship.

That is, until the final five minutes of the film, when it takes a bizarre left-turn into

a movie about 9/11 - the Pattinson character is at his powerful father's office, about to reconcile with him and heal all of the family's wounds, when the camera pulls back to reveal . . . that he's in the World Trade Center, and it's September 11th, and the planes are about to hit him. Truly bizarre. In hindsight, you can see that the movie's chronology was set up to place the end of the film at 9/11/2001, but the 9/11 theme really feels tacked on to the movie, unlike another recent romantic film, Dear John, that more organically incorporated 9/11 into the plot.

The night before I saw the film, I ran into some girls who had just seen it, and they were really outraged by the twist I described above.

Pattinson is definitely the James Dean of our time - he and de Ravin have a ton of chemistry, and satisfy one of the primal needs of going to the movies, i.e. voyeuristically watching beautiful people fall in love with each other - but definitely is mining the same brooding, misunderstood teen angle that has been a staple of the movies since Rebel Without a Cause.

I really liked the child actress who plays Pattinson's little sister - her subplot is maudlin and emotionally manipulative, but she rises above the cliches inherent in her role, imho, and makes you care about her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.