Remember the great Radio Concerts in the 70's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Forum Resident

Back then there was at least one or two live shows a week if not from one of the syndicated sources like King Biscuit or BBC then by a local station. I know XM does one occasionally but none of the local Atlanta area stations do anything regularly. I recently picked up John Coltrane's Live from the Half Note where it talks about it being a live broadcast from 65'. It would be great if some stations would broadcast shows from local venues.

2. audiodrome

audiodrome Well-Known Member

Back then I remember it was really something to get excited about because a lot of the "mid-level" bands didn't have much exposure, and it was the only way to hear something other than the records. Now you can almost get every concert by every band and every outtake because of the internet and satellite radio - too much exposure!

3. Drawer L

Drawer L New Member

AHHHHH. In NY/Long Island we were priviliged to have WNEW-FM & WLIR,Garden City broadcast litararly thousands of shows.WNEW from many venues around NYC & WLIR did MANY live-in-the-studio broadcasts originating from Ultrasonic Studios,which were right next door to 'LIR,as well as broadcasting MANY shows from My Father's Place.Many of these shows still circulate(I often see them on trade lists)& a few of the Ultrasonic shows have been released (Big Star/Graham Parsons/Lou Reed/Peter Frampton(I think the 'LIR show came out....) From what I've heard both the WNEW & WLIR taped concert libraries are still intact.Let's hope for future releases!(Or at least,somebody circulate 'em!!!!)

4. SMc

SMc Member

Amazon has 39 hits for "King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents in Concert," from America to Johnny Van Zant. Has anyone heard any of these?

Stephen

5. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 High End Headphoniac

King Biscuit! Now that brings me back!

I grew up in Saratoga, used to listen to WRPI. Man, what a station! King Biscuit every week!

Now I'm glued to radioparadise, but they don't do concerts. I don't even have a tuner now except in my car, so I'm not sure just how excited I would get about a concert now.

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Forum Resident

Springsteen '78 - local live FM broadcasts all over the USA, each one special in it's own right.

Elvis Costello on WLIR Long Island from the Calderone - taped days after (or before??) the El Mocambo show from the Ryko box set (and a BETTER show).

The Who on the (original) Qudrophenia tour, ELP on the Works Tour - oh yeah baby!

A few from the early 80's: Rockpile at the Ritz and Squeeze from Boston, both worthy of official release.

7. kevin

kevin Well-Known Member

Rumor has it KBFH'S coming to XM after the DeepTracks Essential 5002 ends.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

WLIR also broadcast a few Squeeze concerts when they toured the US for their first few albums. I remember listening to David Johansen live from the Bottom Line on WNEW-FM. It was a hot summer night, combined with a smokin' show, it seemed like the speakers were sweating! That show was editted and released as a radio promo LP, then in the early 90's it was released on CD (Sony now OOP, but re-released by Lemon. I've heard the Sony, not the Lemon). The "FM/Live" album from the Climax Blues Band was originally broadcast on WNEW (the radio on the cover of the album is set to 102.7). WNEW also broadcast Springsteen's histroric Bottom Line shows. And when the Fillmore East closed, WNEW and WPLJ (WABC-FM) joined together to send us those radio waves.

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Forum hovercraft eel removal services

WABX-FM in Detroit used to broadcast the BBC concerts as well as King Biscuit and Rock Around the World. Heard some great stuff back then!

Cheers,
    Chris

10. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

There's quite a few King Biscuit Flower Hour live cd's kicking around, I have one by Uriah Heep and a couple of others t hat aren't coming to mind right now.

Google them, you can find some on Amazon as well. The sound varies of course, but they're still pretty cool.

11. David Powell

David Powell Active Member

Last year XM purchased Effanel Music, a company specializing in remote recording, enabling them to do more live broadcasts.