Remembering Rory Gallagher. Gone 22 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remurmur, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ Thread Starter

RIP Rory Gallagher
    March 2, 1948-June 14, 1995

A shy, modest, personable Irishman who was known among his musician peers and fans as a true gentleman and a kind, decent human being, nevertheless, once he hit the stage he became a guitar wielding demon, playing blues rock music with an incredible degree of technical proficiency and unbridled passion. ...

The legend goes that Jimi Hendrix was once asked what it was like to be the world's greatest guitarist. His reply was "I don't know. Ask Rory Gallagher."

He left us 22 years ago today. Far too soon and with far too much music left to be played.

Thankfully his music will always live on.

Rory On .
    Always.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Still sorely missed. Rock on Rory!

Reamonnt, Joti Cover, MarkO and 2 others like this.
  3. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

One of the greatest blues guitarists of all time! Saw him play at the Exit in, in Nashville TN in the 80s Amazing show.

4. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Incredible talent and great person.Rest in peace Rory.
    Rory Gallagher - I'm Not Awake Yet

5. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

My first Taste of Rory Gallagher...

6. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I saw him open for 10cc at The Tower in Upper Darby, PA in 1975.

7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

8. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

a great player and singer. I never saw him in concert but I have watched Irish Tour on DVD several times.

A guitar repair friend once got to work on a luthier-created clone of Rory's famous strat, that was made for someone very close to Rory in Ireland, I think a family member.
    I got to play it a little bit. Great guitar, I guess the real instrument is in the possession of his immediate family?

9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely loved Rory Gallagher!

Remurmur and Joti Cover like this.
  10. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I have never really listened to Rory but many many people in Ireland are big fans. A funny story years ago I used to chat with a nice lady in work in her 50's and she told me how her dad was into jazz too and had lots of records. Later on another person told me she used to go out with Rory Gallagher back in the days.

Remurmur and Joti Cover like this.
  11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I saw Rory twice in the '70's, seeing him play made you believe Jimi was right.

Rory Gallagher your star brightly shines.

Remurmur, Satrus and john lennonist like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

R.I.P.

[​IMG]

This quote from the OP is not true though afaik:

"The legend goes that Jimi Hendrix was once asked what it was like to be the world's greatest guitarist. His reply was "I don't know. Ask Rory Gallagher."

That same story is told with virtually any guitarist in the 60's/70's you can think of. Phil Keaggy is the name that I think I've heard the most in that fill in the blank legend though.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

His brother Donal has it. And it occasionally makes public outings.

You can read about, and see photos of, Joe Bonamassa playing it.
    Bonamassa Borrows Legendary Stratocaster
    Interview: Joe Bonamassa on playing Rory Gallagher's 1961 Stratocaster | MusicRadar

There are videos of that up on youtube. Bernie Marsden has played it too. I 4get who else...

Remurmur likes this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

One of the best live blues performers...black or white...that I've ever seen. People also forget that the
    first Taste single is a classic '60s U.K. psych/freakbeat epic:

15. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I never got to see him, not that I did not try. Back in '79, I think it was, my friends and I bought tickets to see Jefferson Starship at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago only because Rory was going to be the opening act. Unfortunately, his equipment truck broke down and he couldn't make it to the gig. We were then told that Starship would be playing an extended set. I suppose this extended set idea proves it was more like a double headline than a support act. It seemed that lots of people were there to see Rory as there was a collective sigh at the announcement.

Remurmur likes this.
  16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Seeing Rory in 74 will always remain the best show I've ever seen.

17. I'm playing Tattoo now.

Rock on Rory ....

Remurmur likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I saw him on the same tour in San Diego. I don't remember the headliner but Rory was the middle act and he blew them all away. Amazing guitarist, one of the best.

Remurmur, Joti Cover and hi_watt like this.
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Amazing guitarist and one my alltime favorites. I think I have to listen to some Rory soon..

Remurmur likes this.
  20. I had heard Rory and long before I appreciated his music and playing. Like a lot of players, I just never got around to seeing him live and regret it but, more importantly, I regret he died young without the chance to give us more music and live his life.

Remurmur and john lennonist like this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I was a huge fan of Rory in the early 70s and I saw him three or four times live at Manchester Free Trade Hall. He was an astounding rock and blues guitarist.
    My favourite album is Live In Europe but I tend to play Wheels Within Wheels more often.

Remurmur, Joti Cover and Frank Field like this.
  22. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Yes, while Irish Tour '74 is generally regarded as his best album Live In Europe is my favourite.
    I just picked up a NM original Canadian pressing of Deuce during the week and it sounds fantastic.

Remurmur, Joti Cover and Dublintown like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I went off Rory when he brought in Lou Martin on tinkly piano. it just didn't work for me.
    Don't believe what is generally regarded about Irish Tour, people say that because it's a double and there is was the film along with it.
    Live In Europe is his best live album.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

He also supposedly said it about Terry Kath of Chicago.

25. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Saw Rory in the mid-70's (probably '74... the same tour a couple of the above had said they saw).

He was the opening act (can't remember who he opened for).

I had never heard of the lad.

He was un-fvcking real! :eek:

I called my brother immediately after the show and said, "You have got to see this guy!"

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Remurmur, Purple Jim and slipkid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.