Remembering The Brothers Gibb. . Yes The Bee Gees..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

IMO, in the 1960s they created a sub-genre that they owned, for all intents and purposes.

rxcory, granata and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Yeah, they always stood apart from the crowd. Which is why they probably never scored any cool points. But the songs and the soul say it all.

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:pineapple:
    thank you always a pleasure to share in the love and the brilliance and genius of everything BROTHERS GIBB..

Jarleboy and John-Adam like this.
  4. irender

irender Forum Resident

Simply my favorite Bee Gees LP

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I like how you chose the LP cover for the first Best Of rather than the CD - better track list (IMO) with "Spicks and Specks" included!

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

Yes, that's the version of the song that I've always loved, which I generally describe as "intense, claustrophobic and harrowing". The other version, which for reasons unfathomable to me has always been put on compilations like Best of the Bee Gees, is seriously emasculated by comparison, and I hate to listen to it, although I don't necessarily skip it when I put Idea on.

Although I'm a bigger fan of their '60s work than any other era (in fact I barely know the late '70s disco period) my sense is that they are one act that has maintained a fair modicum of quality in their work through the years (Elton John is another). I do like Main Course, and I've always liked Dionne Warwick's Heartbreaker from 1982, which I understand has a lot of Barry Gibb in it too.

Quality work from any of the Gibbs was liable to pop up anywhere, at any time!

keyXVII, Jarleboy and rstamberg like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

A Bee Gees Masterpiece

Jarleboy, rstamberg and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm mainly a big fan of the 60s Bee Gees, but I get the impression that they never lost their knack for crafting strong, melodic and accessible music. Even though the production wasn't to my taste, I thought This Is Where I Came In was an excellent song. Same with You Win Again and the songs they wrote for others when they weren't having hits themselves.

Jarleboy and Carl Swanson like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have both, though the LP was left by a friend and not in good condition at all. Happily, I can hear it as the last track on disc 2 of this one:

[​IMG]

Jarleboy and rstamberg like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That 'The Record' compilation is excellent. The album that got me into Bee Gees. It's great that 'Jumbo' is on that one.

Matthew Tate, Jarleboy and rstamberg like this.
  11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Barry's the only one left. Bee Gee. It's kind of like saying Isley Brother. It doesn't quite have the same ring to it. It's only one letter, but that "s" makes all the difference in the world.

Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I really like them. I even liked Andy Gibb.

greelywinger, Grant, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  13. Cloudbuster

Tune!

14. dmiller458

Their older sister, Lesley was also a talented singer. She even filled in for a few shows after Robin went solo. She did these three duets with Aussie Country star Ian B. MacLeod in 1973.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Now this is a GEES Masterpiece Far OUT sixties vinyl I have an original mint condition and I have the new 180-gram RE released vinyl, ultrasonic cleaned the original and Man. WOW!!!

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

I miss brother ANDY

Jarleboy, rstamberg and Holy Diver like this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's a nice new Odessa reissue? Does it have the velvet sleeve? I have 2 copies of the UK original, mono & stereo, but both have loud clicks & crackle in places. How does the new pressing sound? I absolutely adore Odessa!

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Cloudbuster

What a wonderful trip that album is. [​IMG]

19. dmiller458

How was this not the lead single?

20. dmiller458

Or this? When Maurice comes in with that hook...

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love it. Then again everyone has a different hearing..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

:D
    Totally agree that album is a definite trip....vinyl CD

Jarleboy and Cloudbuster like this.
  23. sami

sami Mono still rules

Bee Gees 1st is one of the absolute gems of the '60's, and is often overlooked when the great records of the decade are listed or discussed. I also love the singles from '67 - '71, which stand as some of the very best singles produced by anyone in the '60's.

24. Cloudbuster

The most obvious single on the album to my ears. It was released in Japan, however, where it peaked at #3.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Dude I have an original mono and stereo pressing... ultrasonic clean them both and I'll tell you amazing incredible sound that album is a gem ..super 67

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.