Remixing RAM to fix phasing issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Octavian, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was crucified last time when I made the last thread talking about remixing All Things Must Pass, but I'll take another chance.

Would you all be okay with a possible remix of Ram which emulated the mix completely but fixed the phase issues?

I know the DCC release mastered by Hoffman is the best sounding one to date. Maybe he could chime in to say if it's even possible?

Crimson Witch, Shaddam IV and DK Pete like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm with you on ATMP. I also agree on Ram, but for different reasons. The beautiful remastering done on the HearMusic version notwithstanding, I always felt that the album had a bit of a thin sound as well as some sibilance (on both Smile Away and Back Seat Of My Car on both vinyl and CD). Can you be more specific on the phasing..?

3. Octavian

Yes. The phasing for the album was messed up. For example, if you fold down the stereo, it sounds odd. That's why they had to make a mono version because it allowed AM radio to play it without it sounding out of phase.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I actually never folded down the stereo...so when you say out of phase, are certain tracks of the individual recordings "missing" (like when we used to "oop" our stereos to hear only the vocal track to Birthday, or whatever...)???

5. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

You can fix the out of phase issues on Ram in Audacity.
    No remixing required. I did it myself awhile ago.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I would guess the phasing effects were intentional on Ram.

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It was just a silly phase he was going through... :)

8. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I didn't see the All Things Must Pass thread... why were you crucified. That album really SHOULD be remixed!

I'm always down to hear a remix of an album I love, because I own the original mixes and I'll always have them there. At the same time, RAM would not be my first choice in the McCartney cannon to remix.

9. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Invert one channel and/or realign the left/right channels.

Any DAW newbie can do it.

The stereo drums mix of Cream's "White Room" is also messed up same way.

10. Octavian

I've heard the reason for the out of phase is more complicated than just aligning the two stereo tracks. It has more to do with the fact that album was recorded at different studios and the way it was mixed. Apparently attempting to fix it messes up the center. I haven't tried it myself, but that is what I heard from another thread related to this topic.

Davenicks and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Octavian

Good to hear you agree. Take a look at my post, should be recent in my history. You'll see how many people came to hate me, even Steve haha!

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Absolutely yes. I had a bootleg ages ago with outtakes from the album and was astonished at the clarity of the backing tracks on songs like "The Back Seat of My Car". There's so many overdubs on the final mix of that track it's squashed down to sounding like a cassette tape copy. Also, no need to emulate the original mix for me. I would not hesitate to shell out for this. Bring it on.

Crimson jon, FJFP, Gila and 2 others like this.
  13. Shaddam IV

Hang in there, there's an anti-remix bias around here. I'm going to be blunt: these people have control issues. If you don't want it, fine, say so. But some of these people go further and say it shouldn't be done at all like they're concerned about your taste and how YOU should experience the world or something. Baffling.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  14. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"These people" are more likely concerned about the artist's intent. If the artist wants a different mix out, the artist has or the artist will put one out. Not for you to decide.

Cronverc and SinnerSaint like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Poppycock!

16. Shaddam IV

It's for the stakeholders to decide. You may wish that it's the artists decision, and often times they're the stakeholder, but not always. The stakeholders may also allow outside use such as sampling. Also, the anti-remix crowd is not always only concerned about the artists intent from what I've seen. Some just don't want it done period. And obviously, it's not for me to decide. But if someone wants to do it, I'm usually in.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  17. Octavian

Well it was Harrison's intent to remix All Things Must Pass, he just never got to it before he died.

Mr. Explorer, Carlox, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This would negate every single posthumous release in music history. (Including, I suppose, every recording of any classical piece written before the 20th century)

Mr. Explorer and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Who mixed it originally? Phil Spector? (I honestly don't know). Judging by "My Sweet Lord 2000", I'm really glad that Harrison didn't remix it.

I almost never like the re-visited, re-mixed or re-imagined stuff like what you are talking about but if it is available along-side the original mix then I guess that would be ok because I could choose not to buy it.

I was sort of surprised that I liked some of the remixed Lennon stuff but I never thought that should replace Lennon's original mixes.

Crimson Witch, alexpop and Cronverc like this.
  20. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

How many classical pieces written before the 20th century were intended to be records? Would those not be something created to be performed live?

Cronverc likes this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It wasn't his intent; he considered it when he was preparing the reissue but decided against it.

Ephi82, d.s.l. and Crimson Witch like this.
  22. Octavian

He personally wanted to do it but didn't due to the backlash he knew he would get, which is quite sad.

Crimson Witch and Shaddam IV like this.
  23. Shaddam IV

The point I believe, though, is the same one that I made. Elvis remixes are coming out all the time. I think what you wanted to say is that it *should* be the artists decision, not that it is.

24. Shaddam IV

My speculation is that he didn't do it because he thought it would be too much work.

25. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Well, is the result worth the work? Assuming it is, does it make any difference which channel is inverted? What does realign the L/R channels mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.