Remixing RAM to fix phasing issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Octavian, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't believe in replacing the original mix, but I 100% support providing an alternative that can potentially offer a multitude of benefits: better technology, less drugs consumed at time of mixing, lack of label deadlines, creating a mix specifically intended for digital instead of vinyl release... I also like the idea of the perspective gained from being many years removed from a recording versus a mix attempted immediately after the last note was played. We're talking about both Ram and All Things Must Pass here, two excellent records with obvious mixing flaws...those flaws are sort of a part of the albums by now, but I'd love to see what someone could do with them 45+ years on, just as a companion piece. It'd be amazing to finally be able to clearly hear all the layers of ATMP, mixed as if it was intended to be played on a massive set of speakers, instead of a tiny AM radio.

2. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just did it in Audition using the DCC masters. It sounds great, a lot more punch to the record.

I just gave the tracks RingoStarr39 who posted above. He is going to correct the phasing and upload it to his YouTube channel (Beatles Instrumentals and More).

3. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks.

4. slane

slane Forum Resident

You need to shift one of the channels along (by around 5 or 6 samples, IIRC) so that the centre information is totally lined up and in phase. Easy to do.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It is?

6. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Yeah, "White Room" (at least what I got off iTunes) has the left and right channels way out of sync. I don't know if it's always been like that.

I realigned them and it's sound far better once the vocals and guitar (one in middle of the stereo mix) are back in alignment and/or phase. More solid sounding and less floaty.

I think I had to invert one channel as well.

Crimson Witch and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That song is processed with CSG. It can be reversed, but not via alignment and/or inverting.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Well, viewers at home can experiment and decide if my tip makes it's better or not. It's still kinda weird sounding but not as bad. That's all I care.

I've never owned the song until I got it on iTunes and quickly realized the sound-stage was jacked up somehow. I pick up on stuff like that and I've never heard about CSG until now.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Haeco-CSG - Wikipedia

Haeco-CSG system, what recordings used it?

10. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Just sounds like the result of a stereo tape head not perfectly aligned and twisted slightly. Yes, it's fixable like the other guy detailed.

Is this the album Steve was only given an extra compressed dub to master from and not the actual original un-compressed stereo mix?

11. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Ram was already remixed to fix its phasing issues, at the time...that's what the MONO mix is!

12. Octavian

Yeah I like the mono version, but... the stereo version sounds great. I don't know why so many people on this forum think stereo is the devil.

dalem5467, Carlox and kiddo4 like this.
  13. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I'm finished with my phase corrected Ram album. I also included the single version of Uncle Albert and the complete version of Ram On as bonus tracks.
    Here's the playlist: Phase Corrected Ram - YouTube

14. I'm there with others who want All Things Must Pass remixed. Clean up the murk!

Shaddam IV, Carlox and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I know very few folks agree with me, but I never heard "murk" or "slathered with echo" or any of those things on All Things Must Pass.

I would never argue the point, I'll just consider myself lucky! :)

Chris M and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  16. Well I'm not in favor of replacing the original but I would love to hear it stripped down.

Crimson Witch, 2141 and mne563 like this.
  17. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

It will be interesting if our host responds.

18. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

That sounds pretty good on my MacBook here! I like it!

Can you tell us the (Adobe Audition) recipe?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm all for remixes personally. If the next round of Ram being reissued included a remix, I'm in. The old mixes will always be there. I personally just enjoy hearing things I love in as many different ways possible.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Always liked the content. How did phase(1) sound get there in the first place..studio, mixing?

21. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Mono suits Ram better. It's my go to version. I have a sealed back up copy too. It is that good. I never noticed the phasing issues on the stereo version. My 1st UK vinyl sounds really good and my experience of remixes is nearly always disappointment.

rxcory likes this.
  22. Octavian

Take a listen to the fixed stereo above and compare it to the normal stereo. Big difference.

23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Amen! Just play the mono mix. It sounds great. Problem solved!

24. Octavian

Or listen to the phase corrected version above. Stereo is superior to mono when a competent stereo mix is made.

dalem5467, Carlox and Frank like this.
  25. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

In your opinion, friend :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.