Removing sticky tape reside on the vinyl surface

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by trackstar, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any tips on how to remove a large amount of clear/packing residue the currently is embedded in the grooves of an lp?

I've tried using my Nitty Gritty cleaner and hand scrubbing it with record cleaning solution, and the stuff still remains

Help!

2. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

You might want to use a solution that is stronger on the Alcohol and let it sit on the surface for a few seconds to minutes before vacuuming with your Nitty Gritty in hopes the solution will dissolve the glue.

3. trackstar

Can you recommend a safe solution that is stronger than alcohol that won't cause damage?

4. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

Stronger ON alchohol. Not THAN alcohol. :)

5. trackstar

So the best solution would be....?

6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Try an Ultrasonic type RCM, assuming you know somebody who has one.

7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Citrus Magic or just plain lemon juice to break down the sticky glue then clean with RCM solution.

sean

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Probably not something you'd want to subject your vinyl to on a regular basis, but Ronsonol (lighter fluid) works great for getting sticky residue off just about any surface.

gingerly, Bob_in_OKC and Jimi Floyd like this.
  9. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

You could try strong dishwasher and hot water( careful not to warp) using cotton wool. This happened to me . I failed!
    But Maybe luck will be with you

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

One of the best ways I've found to remove tape residue is to use another (new) piece of tape and press and pull up & down with that tape to pull out the sticky remnants. Pull quickly, like removing a band-aid. You might have to do it for quite a while to get it all, but it should work.

I've used this technique for years to remove price sticker residue from covers (Scotch-brand tape works best there).

FWIW, my mother swears by peanut butter for removing sticky residue. Works great on glass. Not sure about vinyl LPs. :) Glop some on and wait a few hours. and it might work for you.

11. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I've definitely used the tape method described above with success with price labels and other sticky residue as long as the adhesive isn't too old. (In my experience, the dried up remnants of a forty year old price tag aren't going anywhere.)

Alcohol may help, but I haven't found it to be a great solvent for sticky adhesives. Other more powerful solvents such as acetone I wouldn't put anywhere near a vinyl record.

Regarding the peanut butter suggestion, I can only imagine the oil getting into the grooves and making the situation that much worse.

12. Clayton93

Clayton93 Forum Resident

I read in a auto magazine that Windex works.

13. I have personally had great success with WD-40. I had a record that had dried on tape residue from a liner note repair that came undone and ended up attaching itself to the actual record for what I can only assume was years. In my case, I sprayed a q-tip, then rubbed it liberally over the dried on tape residue. let it sit for a couple of minutes and re-applied where needed. I then rinsed off with warm soapy water and held it over my sink as I continued to rinse and scrub with a soapy(dish detergent) painters brush and water rinse. Then I put in on a Nitty Gritty RCM and cleaned as usual. The results were pretty much perfect.

14. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

THIS

gingerly likes this.
  15. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Baby Oil then rinsed off with warm soapy water. repeat as need it.I think will work

16. dachada

dachada Senior Member

17. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

It happened to me too. I told the idiot seller to remove the record from the outer jacket for shipping and he TAPED the bare record inside the inner sleeve! Nothing got it off completely. I tried progressively stronger solvents, 99% isopropyl alcohol, Ronsonol, white gas, but you could still see it in the groove afterwards. I finally tossed the record in the trash. No big loss, it was a crappy UK repress of Highway 61 - atrocious cut, but apart from the goop it was essentially mint.

18. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I've had very good luck with an ultrasonic cleaner pulling sticky residue off records.

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I would just like to know how sticky tape residue gets "down into the grooves" to begin with. Using all kinds of fluids is probably gonna make things worse and leave residue that will get "down into the grooves".

dbsea likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Perhaps it appears to get down in the grooves, because of all the mischief it actually causes atop the grooves...?

Glad somebody brought up baby oil; seems to me I'd heard something like that before. Also glad somebody brought up "not peanut butter", because if the oil in that can cause damage, I'm pretty sure the baby oil would present a similar sort of difficulty. :shrug:

Anybody here use any sort of basic oil to work on adhesive stickiness in other situations?

21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I would try Goo Gone. It's just some kind of citrus extract in an oil. Then I'd throw it back onto your Nitty Gritty to remove the residue and oils.

22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

How about a bit of Dawn dish detergent sitting on it for a bit to see if it would loosen it up or dissolve it?

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

AF Labelclene removes/softens sticky residue from plastic. Probably will need to then remove the softened glue with masking tape and finish with an alcohol based fluid using RCM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.