Replace AR ES-1 with modern turntable, up to 2K price range!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mtrot, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm ashamed to say my old ES-1 has been in a closet for maybe 15 years, as I've been working and sort of didn't have time or interest in dealing with a turntable. As I've recently retired, I'm thinking of getting a more modern, sophisticated rig that would represent an upgrade in audio quality. Surely, one can get far superior sound these days for a reasonable price. I know the ES-1 could be refurbished and made better, but I just have a hankering to get into newer technology. The tone arm on my ES-1 does not seem to allow azimuth adjustment, so I've never been confident that my setup was optimal, and it was dang hard to adjust the other settings as well.

Aside from performance, my primary considerations would be ease of set up, simplicity of use, and minimal maintenance. I'm sort of interested in VPI; any VPI in that price range that I should consider? Other options? Any suggestions much appreciated. As I don't have a huge vinyl collection, I don't see how I could justify spending over maybe a couple thousand dollars for a table/cartridge setup.

2. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

You could always upgrade the AR, new arm and some other parts, still a very good table.

[​IMG]

3. mtrot

Thanks, but I'm looking for suggestions on newer, more modern technology. Anybody?

4. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

If you're looking for an easy setup, low maintenance rig then I'd recommend Rega RP6 with their Exact 2 cartridge.

russk likes this.
  5. mtrot

Thanks! I'll look into it.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

SOTA Comet.

paulieb00 and dmckean like this.
  7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I had an AR with a Sumiko Grace 747 tonearm. Upgraded to a VPI Scoutmaster. VPI no longer makes an equivalent turntable (it would be closer to a Prime (~$3800 with 3D arm) than the current Scout ($2200 with tonearm), but I am a huge fan of VPI turntables. It was a massive upgrade and 100% reliable over the 10 years that I've owned it. Highly recommended.

8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

They're not what they used to be.

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Sota has a refurb Saphire. Don't know if it has an arm.

10. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Check out George Merrill's new turntable. He's designing a new version of the Polytable and probably has upgrades for the AR since he used to modify them. Check him out and give a call, he loves to talk analog. I would definetly look at his decks before I bought anything else. His address www.hifigem.com

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    russk and jupiterboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.