Replacement bulb for Sony SXRD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marty Milton, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Sony SXRD rear projection TV, model #KDS-55A2000. I am getting a flashing red light when I turn on my TV. The manual indicates this means the lamp needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a reliable source for a replacement lamp?

2. Marty Milton

I put this in the wrong forum. I thought I was in the hardware forum. You would think I was a newbie here. Could a gort please move it for me?

Thanks.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

:thumbsup:

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

5. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Went through the same thing with my Mitsubishi 52" DLP. Not cheap to replace that puppy; over $200.00. I had no idea they burned out so fast. Mine lasted about 2 years.

6. Marty Milton

Thanks for responding so quickly and moving this thread. We really have the best group of Administrators/Gorts here. Keep the suggestions coming.

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Marty,

It may not be the bulb. When you start the set do you see a picture for a short time before the red light starts? If so, it's likely your fan.

My fan has been acting up for several years and all it takes is some shots of compressed air. The little cans you can buy work well, but sometimes it takes a few tries before the set starts up. I imagine the fan needs to be replaced but it's no small picnic to open the back of the set. I'll keep with the air spray until it no longer works.

Besides, since this is such a universal problem, I assume the new fan will ultimately develop the same issue, so why replace it. A few years ago a service tech came out to fix my set and clued me in about blowing out the fan. I told him to leave the replacement fan as a spare and when the air trick stops working perhaps I'll replace the fan.

Sometimes the air trick works for a few weeks or more, and other times I have to blow the fan every day. Very strange. I'm pretty sure the fan has never stopped working. Apparently a little dust is enough to slow it down just enough to cause the failure.

Btw, my bulb did actually go out once and I replaced it for around $250.00. It's pretty easy to replace, but if you have the fan issue, the TV will still not start, new bulb or old.

8. Marty Milton

No, I don't ever see a picture. It goes from the green light flashing for about 30 seconds to the red light flashing, without any picture. So if the picture did not come on for a short time before the red light, can I assume it is the bulb?

I did notice last night that the video in my custom setting was a bit darker and I had to switch to standard mode. I know this is a stupid question, but where exactly is the fan?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's the bulb, dude. Don't sweat it, just get a new one.

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

The fan is right to the right of the bulb compartment as you're looking from the back.

If your set went darker then I'm guessing it is the bulb. That is exactly how mine behaved when the bulb went out.

11. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Some Sony RPs have a firmware glitch that causes the problem you are describing. Before you run out and buy a bulb, try this.

Unplug your set, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, then try turning it on. This allows it to "reset". There's an available firmware upgrade, but you have to have a tech come out to do it. I own two Sony LCD RPs and the newer one suffered from this problem. I've only had to go through this drill once. One set has four years on it, the other three and I'm still on the original bulbs.

Eric

12. Marty Milton

That's what I thought, but I wanted to get some confirmation before I plunk down the $250 for a new bulb. Financially, it comes at a bad time, but I guess I'll have to "suck it up" and buy the new bulb.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

13. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

How many red blinking lights do you see?
    Best to count the blinking lights, then google "x red blinking lights SXRD" to see what the problem is (also search on avsforum.com) Sony has the number of red lights coded to a problem area. Make sure you also google the "groups" as well as the web.
    Also - your ballast may need to be replaced along with the bulb if the bulb is bad.
    (I am on my second SXRD..)

14. Marty Milton

I just replaced the lamp and that fixed my problem. As a matter of fact, the TV has never looked this good. I suspect the original lamp was not ever performing at 100%. Without changing any settings everything looks clearer and sharper than before, even the SD channels.

Thanks, again for all your help. I am a happy camper, again. ;)

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ahhh The Sony SXRD! Being in TV sales, I have made a lot of money on those rear projection LCD sets. Just sold one the other day.

16. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

No. The bulbs gradually get dimmer and redder with age, and cyan which is somewhat akin to blue makes the picture appear sharper.

17. JACOB ADAMS

JACOB ADAMS New Member

So what is wrong if I replace the lamp, it works great for an hour, then the same problem happens? It blinks green for about 30 seconds, the the lamp light blinks continuously.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

How long have you had the set? Mine crapped out after 7 years and I simply bit the bullet and replaced it instead of throwing good $$$ after bad. Painful but the right decision.

19. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Very true. I had an old Mitsubishi rear projection set and was amazed the difference swapping in a new bulb assembly had on that tv. Then a fire took it out a few months later. Then replaced with a DLP set. That Mitsubishi was the longest I had a TV. Almost 10 years.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'd say it's broke/busted. Go and buy a much better flatscreen, and dump the projector. At best, you can only get 6-7 years out of them.

21. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Sometimes replacement bulbs don't seat properly upon first installation. Some need to be wiggled/ jiggled a little bit to achieve proper connection. I just replaced the bulbs on two of my sets, a 50 inch and a 42 inch Sony, bought new in 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.