Replacement needle too thick?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jorge Domingos, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorge Domingos

Jorge Domingos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Bear in mind that I'm relatively new to vinyl. I have a vintage SHARP SG 330-HA stereo music center with about 35 yearls old in good conditions.

I recently bought on the Internet a replacement stylus (cheap, about $25). I was surprised somebody did sell it! The problem (or not) is that looking closely to both needles, original and cheap replacement), the second is noticeable more thicker than the original.

So my question is... Will the thickier needle damage the records, or even if not, will it affect sound quality in any way? Superficially I don't detect poorer sound quality, but I would like expert opinion, mainly on the possibility of damaging my records. Thanks!

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Is there any chance you might replace the entire cart ? I'd reccomend a Shure M-44 7. The stock one, and worse yet, the thicker el cheapo replacement is likely to not only damage your record but be a significant downgrade in sound quality compared to a decent, fresh cart.

3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Not an expert but perhaps the original stylus was worn down and the new one is what the old one originally looked like. When you say "thick" you are referring to the diamond right?

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Generic as non original stylus are named, often differ. A test record would. confirm whether all is well
    If you hear no sibilance ,vocals are fine, then all should be fine.
    As , has been pointed out a change of cartridge would be a wise move.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.