Replacement stylus for Clearaudio Virtuoso v1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DangerCow, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DangerCow

DangerCow Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have a bent cantilever on my Marantz TT15s1's Virtuoso v1, and am hoping to sub in an Audio Technica stylus. I'm hoping someone who knows more than I about this can direct me to the appropriate upgrade here? I am in Canada so am not keen to have the piece shipped from the US (duty and exchange makes this pricy), so hoping Amazon has it?

Thanks for your time and help!

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Have you taken the old stylus out yet? You should make sure you are at least capable of performing that part without any trouble, then it is just deciding which of the AT95E type stylus assemblies you want to use, there are plenty of tutorials online, as well as right here. The main part is whether you trim the "wings" off the new stylus to match the old one, or install as is.

3. DangerCow

I have not taken it out yet

4. DangerCow

5. Davey

Not really sure what you mean by "correct", but yes, that is a stylus assembly that will fit the AT95E body. There are many, many others too, from AT and other sources, with many different stylus profiles. Also realize, that for a few dollars more, you can get the AT-VM95ML cartridge with stylus installed, no surgery required.

Danilo and macster like this.
  6. DangerCow

Good advise, I ended up ordering a Shibata-tipped VM95SH cartridge. I'll lose the wood-body of the Virtuoso but whatevs.

7. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

You won't loose anything; Just tuck out the old stylus, inserting your finger nail, or a toothpick in the back of the stylus assembly, the black plastic to be clear, and then insert the vm95 stylus replacement, That's all

mackeyse likes this.
  8. Davey

I think with the V1 version of the Virtuoso, you can just pop off the name plate on the front and install the AT stylus without any surgery after removing the old stylus, if you want to compare what the Clearaudio body mods bring. I don't think it will fully seat without removing that front plate, but @Danilo above thinks it will, so maybe no need. Or get one of the ML stylus assemblies and try that in both carts compared to the Shibata you ordered.

33na3rd likes this.
  9. DangerCow

Yes, thanks for the ideas. I'll monkey around with the Virtuoso body, the ML idea is a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.