Replacement Suggestions for a Project Debut Carbon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thebunk, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member Thread Starter

After trying to fix and improve on multiple issues related to the Project Debut Carbon, I am thinking strongly about upgrading to a new TT. My amp is a Rega Brio-R (brand new) and speakers are Paradigm Monitor 7 floor speakers (these will be the next things I upgrade). With the Debut, I upgraded to the Acryl it platter and Speedbox and recently purchased an OM2 Blue Stylus but none of the above helped significantly with noise or static like pops /ticks.

My budget is about 2K Canadian Dollars including taxes and shipping. Right now I am thinking about getting a Rega TT to match my amp but I am not sure if a P3 will give me a big upgrade in sound.

Thoughts?

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Aren't static, pops/ticks vinyl related? A revealing turntable won't make a noisy record quiet.

Vinyl Addict and TheVU like this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

A better turntable won't eliminate such things.

Vinyl Addict, patient_ot and TheVU like this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Planar 3 with Exact cartridge would be a sonic upgrade and smooth things out a bit. A lot of surface noise issues are of course due to the surface, so record cleaning is very important as is the condition of the Lp. Any remaining ticks and pops on an Lp can also be accentuated by certain cartridges and stylus. The 2m Blue does seem to make surface noise more prominent than does the Rega cartridge. The Planar 3 table in itself is a better table IMO, but the cartridge matters as well. Just a switch to the 2m Bronze would help with both fidelity and noise but not address the table upgrade.
    -Bill

5. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Agreed, some of these things are limitations of the format itself.

patient_ot and bluemooze like this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Static can be removed by an antistatic device (it looks like a gun and works very well).

Pops and clicks due to dust or small residues could be eliminated by washing your records.

Unfortunately record wear cannot be eliminatex without replacing the record.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

If you're in Canada then you should consider looking into the Squeaky Clean Record Cleaning Machine.

If you get a good cleaning fluid, rinse properly, and do not over vacuum, your records should play a lot quieter. Even used records will have a massive improvement.

I think they're like $140 CAD, maybe cheaper.

Other things. I would look into your tracking force, vta, alignment. If all of that is in line, you have a clean record, laying on the platter with no mat, and a clamp, I don't see how it could be making so much noise.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

If ticks/pops and static are your bane, invest in a good RCM.

When I owned the same table set up as yours, I managed to get very quiet playback with minimal surface noise. It all came down to record cleaning, humidity level, and stylus care.
    However, there was the infamous motor hum at higher volume. The tonearm and motor are the weakest links of these lower end ProJects IMO.

If looking to improve overall sound, the Michell TecnoDec and Gem Dandy Polytable seem to be well regarded. Rega will soon be releasing their new Planar 6 as well.

If you're familiar with direct drive turntables and like that sort of presenation, a safe bet is a KAB Technics.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

RCM, buy better pressings for new records, don't buy used records unless they are close to NM.

10. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

11. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Another option to open up your choices on the used market is to get a cheap second cart/headshell like one of the shure conicals. That way you can play the stuff in questionable condition without worry of damaging an expensive cart/stylus.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes of course. I do that as well for records that simply can't be found in great condition. Can't do that on a Pro-Ject though. OP would need a turntable that has a removeable headshell system. I'd try the RCM and such first.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

14. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Ah, didn't know that about the pro-ject. RCM is a better idea in this case albeit probably more expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.