Replacements vinyl reissues. Verdict?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

Haven't heard them yet, but some reviewers on amazon say the sound quality is awful. Has anyone heard them?

2. PantherInCrime

PantherInCrime Forum Resident

One thing to say about the boxsets is that they are essentially punk rock records, not Aja or Brothers in Arms or whatever else gets mastering boners (some of the later records suffer from the 80s pop production). That being said, I think they sound just fine and Let it Be sounds great. I really do not understand the complaints. Both boxes sound really good to me. I just wish they would have thrown in a booklet or at least some liner notes.

nuclear_error likes this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I almost got one of these when I listened to All Shook Down (RSD release) on vinyl for the first time.
    I'm not one to comment on sound quality (my system is lacking) but if you're going to lay down a big chunk of change to replace (pun meant) your CDs or worn original LPs it would be nice if they sound good.

4. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

i have the Twin Tone boxset and it sounds great. It compares very favorably to my original Let It Be and Hootenany. Haven't heard the Sire box set but I have a ORG pressing of Don't Tell a Soul and that pressing beats the original.

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Really, you think so?, The ORG definitely has some balls and does sound great I agree, I guess I like the laid back sound of the Masterdisk, I really don't think anyone can go wrong with either :)

ndoheny likes this.
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Just get the Placemats on vinyl any way you can. :)

Marc Perman likes this.
  7. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

8. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Only the Twin Tones are punk records, really.

9. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Yeah I love them both. The Mats have always sounded great on vinyl to me. The production on DTAS is another issue altogether but unlike say the sound of Husker Du on vinyl which is always sounded a little muted for me. The Mats albums sound perfect.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

But even a poorly reissued punk record can sound like s**t when compared to the (non-audiophile) original:)

11. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I have the twin tone box. I have no problems with it. I listen to let it be all the time and I think it sounds good.
    I am going to order the sire box but I don't know that I will even open it up. I have pleased to meet me, Tim and don't tell a soul originals and think they sound fine. I don't think any of them are ever going to sound perfect whatever that means!

12. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I own both boxes, and the original LPs, compared Let It Be and Tim from the boxes to the originals, the originals win by a large margin IMHO. More detail, warmth, the usual clichés apply.

The pressing of the records in the boxes is fine, the records are flat, and I enjoy listening to them, but when I put on the originals, the difference is quite big.

13. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

My pleased to meet me sounds great i think. Tim isn't as good but the actual music itself is so fantastic i don't even notice. I should open my reissue copy of tim just to see the difference though.

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Picked up Pleased at Barnes and Noble today. I never had this album as a record, cass, or CD, so I can't say how it compares to those formats. However, on its own, it sounds pretty good, and the pressing is perfectly flat, centered, and visually and auraly clean. If there was a pop/click, I didn't hear it. All for $19.99 + tax

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Comparable to the old US Sire compact disc, Tim is where they *&#@!& up

16. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Just picked up All Shook Down at Barnes & Noble. One I've never had. Gonna spin it sometime this week...

17. BarkingOrange

BarkingOrange New Member

I was disappointed with the Rhino Reissues of Tim and Pleased to Meet Me, they just did not sound right. I was able to pick up the Sire pressings of each album and there is a tremendous difference. After listing to both sets side by side, the Rhino pressings are "flat" and have less range than the Sire pressings. I definitely recommend hunting around for the early pressings for Tim and Pleased to Meet Me.

18. SarahBrown69

SarahBrown69 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.