Replacing an AT440MLa - thoughts on the Exact 2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maskdbagel, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all-
    I have an AT440MLa on my RP6, and it recently met with catastrophe. (Short version is that I have young kids who are young -I've saved you all the time up front and done my own self scolding.) I have the option of an Exact 2 for the same price as a replacement 440, which on a pure price level seems pretty awesome. Has anyone here made that switch, and can you comment on what the differences would be? If it matters a lot, I'm feeding a Hagerman Cornet 2 phono stage and a 13 wpc EAR 859 SET integrated. Seems the 440 punches above its weight, so it might not be as simple as the Exact being 3x "better" just because it's 3x the price...

Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice or input!

2. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

I prefer AT. Price doesn't mean much.Its audio equipment

3. maskdbagel

Thanks. Totally agree on price. Don't know anything about your preferences, though, so I'm really looking for objective info on the differences I should expect. Anyone?

4. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

The Exaxt will sound a little fuller in the midrange and not quite as bright on the top end compared to the Audio Technica. They both track very well though with maybe a slight edge going to the AT with regards to inner groove distortion. As always, it depends on the overall tone of the rest of your system to figure out the best match.

Ntotrar likes this.
  5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I love my Exact but as my profile will indicate I'm huge Rega fan. Just remember the Exact doesn't have a "replaceable" stylus.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

This guy nailed it. The 440 is a great cart and a great value. The Exact 2 is great as well, more resolving than the 440, just not as great a value at MSRP. What the Exact gives you on the Rega TT is the 3 point alignment system, which gives an OCD guy like me piece of mind that the cart is perfectly aligned.

In your situation I say go for the Exact!

Dmann201 and Ntotrar like this.
  7. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

The output of the Exact cartridge is pretty high for the Coronet 2.

jupiterboy likes this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would look carefull at the gain situation.

9. maskdbagel

Jim Hagerman himself has just assured me all will be well. :)
    I guess I can give it a try, and if I don't like it, I can always pass it on to someone who will - purchase price of an AT440MLa, or even an AT150MLX, would be a deal compared with retail for the Exact, so I don't anticipate a problem selling it.
    Anyone up for a comparison of the 440 vs. the 150?

EDIT: Just found quite a thorough thread with exactly that discussion. :)

c-eling likes this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

Not sure why the exact wouldn't work with the Cornet. If you feel its too hot you could swap a 5751 tube in.

I had a 440mla and much preferred the sound of a perfectly working exact. The problem I found with the Exacts, when I was buying, was they're were quite a few out there with channel imbalances and that just plain had issues. The ones that were to spec however were great. I found them to be fuller and just as detailed with a better bottom end.

11. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

That's a bummer about bad Exacts. I bought mine used on audiogon a couple years ago and its a champ. Buying used carts is always a bit of a gamble (really buying anything used is) but at the same time, if the seller is honest, then they've already QC'd the thing for you. So its possible you might even have more confidence buying a used cart, if it has known quality control issues. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.