Replacing lamps with LED?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leggs91203, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of my receivers is from 82-83, and the volume panel lights are 8v 100 ma.
    It seems the lamps are powered with A.C.

I know a popular practice is to just replace lamps with LEDs but in a case like this, would it be a bad idea since the originals are AC powered? I am aware that LED = Light Emitting Diode and diodes allow current flow in only one direction.

So then, would putting LED's in be asking for any kind of trouble? Would using an 8 volt LED be alright?

The only reason for the possible LED conversion is LED that small may be easier to come by

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The LEDs should be used on DC power, but I have seen AC or DC type that must have a built-in diode. If DC only rated, I would install a diode in series with the AC supply and cover the diode and part of leads with small piece of heat shrink. I have not seen 8 volt only LEDs, but seen 8-12 volt rated.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  3. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

All of the LED replacement bulbs you can buy on eBay from various parties have a diode built in - they're literally plug and play.

Bruno Primas likes this.
  4. harby

harby Forum Resident

LEDs don't need a diode. They ARE a diode. You can hook them up to AC current, but then they will actually be flashing quickly at 60Hz, which shouldn't be that perceptible.

LEDs are current devices, and need a current-limiting resistor in series per-LED. Blue or white LEDs have about 4 volts across them, so that means the resistor will be getting just as warm as the LED when powered off 8 volts. An appropriate value would be about 220 or 330 ohms, but you might need to experiment depending on the particular LED you use and how bright you want it to be. For an 8V supply, you can also hook two LEDs in series, and use a smaller (or maybe even eliminate the) limiting resistor.

F1nut and VU Master like this.
  5. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

This is the correct answer.

Some of the LED replacement bulbs actually use a full-blown current regulator IC rather than a simple resistor (many of the LED replacements for #44 and #555 bulbs in arcade games/pinballs are made this way), which works better with the higher lux LEDs and will lead to them lasting longer.

6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I know the LEDs are a diode, but the PIV imposed with AC can still ruin a LED. It does not ruin a standard diode.

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- LED trivia. When was the LED invented?

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Eighteen hundred and 97.....
    no idea!

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

LED trivia: that ridiculously bright blue distracting LED on your TV and every other device that wants to be fancy earned someone the Nobel prize.

If you want your LED to run off the AC line, but be twice as bright (because it lights up when electricity flows in both directions), you can use a simple bridge rectifier device, which has AC in and DC out, to power your LEDs. Your LEDs will flash at 120Hz then.

[​IMG]

Add a capacitor across the + and - terminals, and you will have almost made a DC power supply.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Maybe they have little led bulbs with tiny integrated drivers? like the household lighting size led bulbs that have them in the base. basically it's a built in transformer.

11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

LED invented by Russian Oleg Lossey in 1927

12. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I replaced the lamps in my Mac 1900 receiver with LED's. I liked it at first but now I regret it. It is too bright now. If I decide to use the Mac again, I will probably go back to stock lamps.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Adding resistance will tone down the brightness.

14. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.