Replacing Turntable Power Cord

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ranonranonarat, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranonranonarat

ranonranonarat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a Sansui 636 which I would love to replace the power cord since the bare wires are already exposed. I didn't really notice this initially until one day when moving the cord out of position, I experienced a very nasty shock. I've tried searching online but with very little advice on replacing power cords.

May I know if any standard appliance power cord would work for this replacement? I've read that the power cord should be properly shielded in order to avoid resonance/feedback (not very sure with the terms).

Are there also any recommended brands for the replacement? I would really hate to have to junk out this table because of a power cord and while I'm at it I could possibly replace the RCA cables at the same time.

Many thanks.

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Bad news, very sorry for this, power cord replacement is a huge problem.

The power cord replacement should be a factory replacement part. The OEM replacement will have the correct prefabricated factory connections, ie: push on flag connectors, or ringlet connectors to the motor, power switch or power supply circuit board. Any other means of connection may be a fire and safety hazard. Aftermarket flag connectors (push on connector) with the crimp tool are NOT THE SAME as the factory connectors, and are a fire hazard. Some power cords are soldered in, but most turntable power cable connections are not this type. (the soldered connection is also risky since the tech MUST CORRECTLY wrap the stripped wire at least once around the terminal for a secure mechanical connection for fire and safety considerations .. and be skilled at soldering)

I recommend only a professional installation. This is a touchy thing, since legally the replacement should be an upgraded polarized type. This more of a concern for vintage amps and tube amps that normally carry a floating chassis voltage. The OEM replacement probably is not polarized. A professional tech may have a new or used power cord on hand that can be safely adapted, but this I do not (can not) recommend.

My suggestion is to sell the turntable as "not working" for restoration or parts, cut the power cable. :cry:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. ranonranonarat

Thanks for taking the time out to write the well thought out and informative response. A big disappointment to hear because I was really growing to love this turntable immensely given its reliability and performance. I should have expected this given the lack of discussion on power cord replacements.

I don't imagine putting any sort of tape around this exposed connection would work, would it? Everything still functions great and I haven't heard any discernible problems with regards to the exposed cabling so it just seems like a waste to junk the whole thing for parts.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Personally I would just put some heat shrink around it an hit it with a hair dryer if it's still working ok. That's not a recommendation I can make without seeing it however. I dunno about junking it just cause of this. If you have no experience with electrics I would get a tech to look at it for you.

5. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It would be ridiculous in the extreme to junk it because of a power cord-unless it's a really bizarre installation.

Is there an online service manual or parts breakdown for this set?

It is probably not needed to have a polarized cord if it's a two wire setup as the motor probably floats and the only ground is the separate ground wire.

6. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

7. ranonranonarat

There is a link here to the service manual but I can't really read the schematics so I can't tell if this is a tough job to fix...

http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?sansui/sansui_sr-636_838_service.pdf

8. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I found that but you have to have an account and I can't set one up right now. Probably later.

The schematic not so much, photos and drawings of the mechanicals more so.

Learning to read schematics is not difficult and is a necessary skill to have. Several books exist. A wiring diagram or mechanical is often very confusing when the schematic is simple (or vice versa). For example, the wiring on a Fender Stratocaster guitar is very simple when laid out schematically, but while a wiring diagram will enable someone to assemble one, they will have no idea how it really works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.