Report: NBC Discussing Leno Exit Strategy (Update: Fallon gets the job)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

When the ratings settle after the debut I'm sure NBC will be pleased with the results. I too think NBC actually made a correct decision in choosing Fallon. Right about now there's probably an exec or two at CBS drawing up short lists for Letterman's successor.

DLant likes this.
  2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I really enjoyed the Tonight Show last night. Jimmy Fallon is going to be great. I'll be watching on a regular basis for sure. Loved his bit with Will Smith. That's the kind of thing Carol Burnett used to do in her show: she'd let them shine on their own, but would be able to do bits with them that were funny and didn't take away from her guests. I think that's a rare talent. Kudos to NBC, they made the right choice.

OldSoul likes this.
  3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Well, I can't blame him.

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

One advantage of the old set was having fans behind the stage when a guest played music. I wonder if that will be a feature of this new set?

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think the statement is written in a way to state he is qualified to give an opinion on the subject not brag about himself.

AKA likes this.
  6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

And it's probably the same list they had since back when he needed heart surgery. I guess you do not remember "The CBS Late Movie"? CBS has no reason not to be happy with Letterman and his choice of Snyder/Ferguson and what he has done for their late night.

7. Mrs. Beeton

What? Elvis Costello is going to get the show when Dave leaves.

Seriously, I know Letterman's been promised the 11:30 time slot as long as he wants it publicaly by CBS, but he and his show is looking tired and uninspired. I think Letterman is merely waiting until he feels it's the right moment - but frankly his shelf life has expired. Just wait until Fallon beats him consistently in the ratings. I'm sure Leno's departure has left people at CBS thinking about a post-Letterman 11:30 slot. Although I like Ferguson and his show, I don't think he'll ever get the 11:30 slot when Letterman leaves. Not a chance.

8. Mrs. Beeton

He needs to remind everyone of his 'qualifications' to say "Congrats and best wishes"?

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes.

Maybe he should not use twitter so his every word is not put under your microscope like that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I second that - there were a couple I didn't recognize. I spotted Seth Rogen, Joan Rivers, Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian (I think), Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Stephen Colbert, maybe a couple others I can't remember at the moment.

11. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

tumblr_n162mgovox1qhub34o1_1280.jpg

PennyLanes likes this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-episode-review-video-u2-will-smith-lady-gaga

In order: Tina Fey, Joe Namath, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Mariah Carey (who pulled her $100 from the upper-most front part of her elegant strapless black dress), Tracy Morgan, Joan Rivers, a Kardashian (hold on …), Seth Rogen, Lindsay Lohan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mike Tyson and Lady Gaga (adorned in mesh, fishnets and dark glasses), all of whom add $100 each to Fallon's bounty. Finally, Comedy Central late-night rival Stephen Colbert also serves up his $100 … in the form of pennies from a bucket, emptied over Fallon's head.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

You're being awfully cynical about a comedian doing a tweet.

Do you imagine he's holed up in a castle, fiendishly rubbing his hands together and exclaiming to his minions "I MUST REMIND THEM THAT I'M BETTER THAN THEM! BETTER THAN ANYONE EVER!! MUHAHAHAHA??!!?!?!?!?!"

Maybe you think he should have kept his stupid mouth shut and just kept shutting up until it's time to shut up???

Geez, people can take thinks THE WRONG WAY. (I'll bet some people won't see how much love is being conveyed in this post either.)

AKA and tonyc like this.
  14. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I missed the broadcast last night but caught the opening monologue online on their website...look ma, no TV!

The set looked pretty good. The bandstand for The Roots framed them very nicely. I didn't get to hear the new theme but from what I did hear of it---I'm not sure about it quite yet. I really like that Fallon opened the show by introducing himself to his audience and introducing everyone on stage with him. I wouldn't be surprised if that was Fallon's own idea. It made perfect sense and it was a nice gesture that anyone else would have overlooked.

Looking forward to catching more episodes. Even more excited for Seth's show next week!

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I bet Letterman is in a real quandary right now. He may have been motivated to keep going for so many years just to show the world what NBC could have had if they hadn't screwed him over for Jay. That motivation is now gone.
    He may have been motivated to keep doing his show so people would be able to hold his goofiness up against Jay playing it straight, positioning Jay as too safe, Dave as cutting-edge. That motivation is now gone.
    Perhaps he was trying to just wait-out Jay, and assume the "long-time-late-night King" role through attrition. That motivation is now gone.
    And dollars to donuts he's not gonna be able to wait-out Jimmy, and no way Dave doesn't look like the old guard, put up against Fallon.
    Appears to me at this point, Dave's one remaining motivation is to keep going long enough that, when he finally does retire, it won't look like he got beaten off the stage by Fallon (because that would say that NBC finally beat him).

Or, maybe one other motivation: to outlast the CBS network suits who would otherwise follow his retirement with a show called CSI: Late Night...:eek:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Savuka - Asimbonanga (Mandela)

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I hope Letterman is in a place right now where he can appreciate the fact his legacy is assured no matter how much longer he goes on. He may very well finish #3 to Fallon and Kimmel but I bet the margin between all three will not be so great as to cause CBS to tell him to retire. So, I hope he just continues on as long as he wants, maybe announce his retirement a year in advance and have a strong finish the way Carson did. And he will probably be back at #1 for his last shows.

OldSoul likes this.
  17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Are you Coco's manager or the president of his fan club? But seriously, you write a pretty convincing impersonation of O'Brien. Reading your 'rubbing his hands' bit I could actually imagine him saying that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

As a long time watcher of Letterman, I think Dave has two motivations:

1). The crew and their families. If Dave decides to retire because of the new blood down the street, several folks will be out of a job. It's not like the old days where a cameraman could just hop on over to a soap opera and start working there. Plus, there are plenty of people on Dave's staff that have been with him for 30 years. That is family you are walking away from.

2). I think Dave is really enjoying himself. Since the birth of his son, Harry, he has really mellowed out, and he appears to really be having fun hosting his show. The knee-jerk response of the Letterman haters that he is a cranky old man, clearly comes from people who have not turned in to watch him over the last few years.

If you have a job you enjoy that provides so much to the people you are close to, what more motivation do you need?

OldSoul and Myke like this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't worry about Dave's legacy. He is as much of a legend as Johnny -- none of the current talk show hosts will have a career like his. And when he goes, they will all line up to honor him -- he's the primary influence on all of them, much more so than Carson.

OldSoul and tonyc like this.
  20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You forgot the first one, Robert De Niro. Apparently the whole bit was a call back to a gag on Jimmy's 100th Late Night show (I didn't see it), where De Niro also gave him a hundred bucks after supposedly betting he wouldn't last a hundred shows.

21. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Nah...that was the first thing I wanted to see myself! I think it was perfect. It's nice that he doesn't seem full of himself and I thought the set displayed that as well.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Love Letterman but why anyone still watches the show is beyond me. Fallon may really tank Letterman's show. Unless he stops being lazy and they actually start creating again instead of doing the same thing over and over. This is the first show in that prized time slot that might actually have a dramatic negative effect on the competition.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ya, pretty bad if you ask me. I mean, no bitterness or anything, right? I think he has a right to feel pretty bad about what happened to him, but not in the context of that tweet.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Overall, no doubt at all. I just think he's been calling it in for a long, long time. He needs to get back to being brilliant or else he should allow CBS to find someone else. I'm sure they will stay loyal to him and they should, but he needs to be fair to them too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.