Resequencing Tom Petty/Heartbreakers debut

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Doherty, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not usually a sequence fiend, and I'm not sure why this leapt out at my with such force just this week, but I was never a huge fan of Petty's debut as a listening experience and just decided it is largely a problem of sequencing. Herewith, my vastly improved and more correct sequencing notion. (Even tho I still think there are more not-amazing songs on here than one would like in general.) Arguments and agreement welcome, including that you think it's perfect just as it was released (tho that's a crazy opinion). This would definitely be a "play side one the most" kind of sequence but I think the treat of Wild One Forever at end would give side two its partisans.

SIDE ONE
    1) American Girl (not leading off your debut album with this bit of vivid perfection was just plain silly)
    2) Anything That's Rock n' Roll (keep the high energy going, you need to keep people hooked)
    3) Fooled Again (I Don't Like It) (winding down a bit into the more ominous mysterious feel for rest of side)
    4) Strangered in the Night (just not that strong....a natural "fourth song on a side"--nutty to lead a side with it)
    5) Breakdown (powerful, but with a powerful sense of finality to me. Needs to be a side ender)

Side 2
    1) Mystery Man (not an explosive start, but this LP doesn't give you a lot of choices for those, but a pleasant easing in)
    2) Hometown Blues
    3) Luna (I have no great theoretical justification for either of these except they had to go somewhere and have neither natural starting nor ending qualities to me)
    4) Rockin Around With You (that this was originally the leadoff track of a debut album, much less one with American Girl on it, is just plain crazy. This midrange sluggish tune screams "bury toward end of side 2)
    5) The Wild One, Forever (has that feel of melancholic grandeur and quality compared to some of the other tracks that it should be your final taste for now)

2. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Such a fun album I never would've thought to resequence the thing, but it's hard to argue with your written assessment. Didn't care for the opener too much, and it was not a good tour opener either on the final tour. Did you try out the sequence?

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This is my favourite Tom Petty album.
    It's perfect

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I often play my CDS on random shuffle just to mix it up a bit and I played this one that way awhile back. ' Breakdown ' came on first. Realized the album sounded fine however it's heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.