Restless Heart appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "(Back To The) Heartbreak Kid" is my favorite...from right around the time I started working in radio.

MYQ1 likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This thread is incomplete until it has some pictures of those great mullets.

3. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Done.
    [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was a country radio DJ in their heyday. They had a really good song around the time of "When She Cries" that I can't remember the name of that I really liked back then....

Evan

5. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

I have this CD, and it has no such errors.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Was it Mending Fences, also from "Big Iron Horses"?

melstapler likes this.
  7. BradOlson

The song "Wheels" which Restless Heart had the hit with in 1986 is a cover of a song the Bellamy Brothers recorded on their 1985 album "Howard and David" which is the original album that features the hits "Old Hippie," "Lie To You For Your Love," and "Feelin' The Feelin'."

You can download the original from Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041MGLGK/

iTunes (at least in the US): http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/howard-david/id390546842

The CD: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-David-Bellamy-Brothers/dp/B000008DCQ/ (LPs can be found on Amazon Marketplace and eBay a lot cheaper than the CD readily)

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'll Still Be Loving You was our first dance as bride and groom at the reception. Wheels is full of hooks and a great sounding 80s country cd.

melstapler likes this.
  9. BradOlson

It is indeed a great sounding 80s country album.

melstapler likes this.
  10. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

My favorite RH album is 'Matters Of The Heart' and two songs on that are also my favorite RH songs:

You're A Stronger Man Than I Am
    Hometown Boy

Great band.

11. BradOlson

They are a great band. They weren't a groundbreaking band by any means but they were one of the best selling and most popular country bands on the radio, CMT, TNN, etc. back in the day and have tremendous talent as musicians.

melstapler likes this.
  12. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Bluest Eyes In Texas is still one of my favorite songs. Funny this thread popped up. I was just thinking today about how there seems to be a lack of strong male vocalists in country music today. I really miss the harmonies those groups used to use- Alabama, The Oaks, Restless Heart, Exile, The Bellamy Bros, Blackhawk, the Statlers, though they were more of a traditional quartet than the other groups mentioned. And the great solosist like Conway, Waylon, Ronnie McDowell, Billy Joe Royal, Vince Gill, Earl Thomas Conley...

13. BradOlson

14. BradOlson

15. Marc Marlowe

Marc Marlowe Active Member

They reminded me of a smarter, and frankly much much better Little Texas type band.

16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Restless Heart are an incredible band, both on record and live in concert. I've seen them twice, didn't get to attend the Christmas show they put on last year. To me, Restless Heart's songs sound like something The Eagles might have done, had they continued into the 1980s. Quality songs, tasteful guitar work and spot-on harmonies both on the albums and live. Nowadays, you can see them perform in smaller clubs, restaurants and at outdoor festivals, which gives a very intimate vibe.

17. melstapler

Brad, Restless Heart have an excellent live CD entitled "25 & Live," which they sell at their shows. I bought a few copies, one to listen to of course. It is full-band electric and contains all of their major hits and demonstrates how talented they are as a live band. You can get it autographed for $20 or without an autograph for $15.

http://restlessheartband.com/store/?shopp_product=25-live-cd-2

Dancy’s Dream, Bluest Eyes in Texas, When She Cries, A Tender Lie, Fast Movin’ Train, Tell Me What You Dream, Long Lost Friend, New York (Hold Her Tight), Let the Heartache Ride, Hummingbird, I’ll Still Be Loving You, That Rock Won’t Roll, Why Does It Have to Be (Wrong or Right), Wheels and bonus tracks: I Want Everyone to Cry and Big Dreams in a Small Town.

18. melstapler

Despite the fact Larry Stewart had left the band during that time to pursue solo projects, "Big Iron Horses" was a great album! There were 2 different versions of it, I believe "Tell Me What You Dream" was not included on the original pressing. That song was written by Timothy B. Schmidt of The Eagles and definitely has that unique "sound."

Restless Heart were not just on the country charts, they crossed over onto the pop charts. A soft rock station I used to listen to in Canada played 'When She Cries,' 'I'll Still Be Loving You' and 'Tell Me What You Dream' on a regular basis.

19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

"I'll Still Be Loving You" was the song chosen for the bride and groom dance at my wedding. The album Wheels holds special memories for me and is a great example of 80s pop country. I would call Restless Heart-Wheels and Kenny Rogers-They Don't Make Them Like They Used To the ultimate 80s pop-country albums.

melstapler likes this.
  20. BradOlson

I saw them live as a child as well and they did put on a great show.

melstapler likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Why did this group pop into my head today? I don't know, but I find myself wanting some Restless Heart. I don't have any. Can someone steer me towards the good sounding CD's that are available? Are there good, well mastered comps readily available, or do I need to find CD's of the original albums? Looks like the options are:

Greatest Hits (1998) - decent track listing. It's HDCD encoded, which could mean it sounds like crap if not on HDCD equipment.

Super Hits (2007) - only 10 tracks. Probably not ideal.

Playlist (2013) - already seems to be out of print.

Best Of Restless Heart (1991) - probably pre-loudness war, but also only 10 tracks.

22. Michael Heatley

Michael Heatley Forum Resident

Seeing this band in a week at Bryce Canyon. Had no idea what they're like, got tix on spec. Hope they are as good as you all suggest!

melstapler likes this.
  23. BradOlson

RCA Country Legends has a decent tracklisting as well. Most of their CDs are decent sounding and inexpensive for the most part

melstapler likes this.
  24. melstapler

If you're looking for another recent quality Restless Heart live recording containing all of the longtime members, I would also recommend "Greatest Hits - Live." Although the cover art depicts the band when they were young in the 1980s, it's actually a modern live performance.

12 songs total, although due to editing, 3 of the tracks contain 2 songs back to back.

[​IMG]
    1. Wheels/Dancy's Dream
    2. Fast Movin Train
    3. Tender Lie/Mending Fences
    4. The Bluest Eyes in Texas
    5. When She Cries
    6. Alright Already
    7. I'll Still Be Lovin' You
    8. That Rock Won't Roll/Why Does It Have to Be Wrong or Right
    9. Sharp Dressed Man

25. mickeyfrith

mickeyfrith Forum Resident

My apologies. I totally missed this message to me until yesterday. I just listened to my disc, and I don't notice any track indexing errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.