Restored Pink Floyd at Pompeii and new Adrian Maben Floyd documentary at Montreal Film Festival

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bodhisattva, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighVoltageMedia

HighVoltageMedia New Member

Last night's Montreal screening of Pompeii was absolutely astounding. What a treat for music and film aficionados to partake of a viewing of the Director's own copy.

It was a fairly warm evening, as Montreal October evenings go, and there were about 300 people in attendance. The sound was astounding!

As Pompeii was filmed mainly out of doors the opportunity to experience the film screening al fresco truly brought out the impact of the exterior portions of the film. It was heaven you could say.

Adrian Maben was very gracious and giving of his time answering all the questions put to him following the screening and some us were visibly as moved to meet him as we would have been to meet the members of Pink Floyd.l
    Tonight I will be attending the screening of "Chit chat With Oysters" (Festin des huitres) and hope to ask more questions of him about getting this material onto BlueRay. He mentioned last night that some of it, and other takes from Pompeii, are in the works but due to lawyers' wranglings may not see the light of the projector until after he has left this world. Let us hope he is wrong and that he will be around for a long time to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for the report and pictures. It must've been a wonderful little experience.

3. Jimw1

Jimw1 New Member

Great news' any more info about the Films release or future cinema showings ???????

4. botley

botley Forum Resident

Just bumping this because I only now discovered these VERY glad tidings. Pompeii ranks as the Floyds' finest hour, for me, and hopefully a full HD restoration gets completed! That Oysters doc sounds fantastic too.

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Does this mean that you're still up having cocktails?!? :confused: :cheers:

6. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

More info on a possible blu-ray and 5.1 mix

Excerpt:
    "We are at a crucial point because we'd like to mix the sound in 5.1, complete the restoration and correct some of the mistakes in the original. This will have to be the definitive version (the fourth, after those presented in cinemas in 1973 and 1974, and the director's cut, which was released on DVD much later). I sincerely hope that this will be possible by the end of the year, or in 2015 at the latest. For the new audio mix Nick Mason suggested that we should work with the Floyd's sound engineer, Andy Jackson."

Link:
    http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/pompeii-and-circumstance-adrian-maben-and-pink-floyd.html

Agent57 and Myke like this.
  7. Mrpinky

Mrpinky Forum Resident

8. Mrpinky

Mrpinky Forum Resident

Yes, Maben was with us in Turin on march 29 and 30...
    The Lunatics - Pink Floyd Collector’s Club were staging their own exhibition in Turin in March. With guest of honour Adrian Maben this promised to be an event not to be missed. For full information on www.thelunatics.it
    Adrian Maben presented two films about Pink Floyd: one is the documentary "Chit Chat With Oysters", with 55 minutes of unreleased tracks made during the filming of the movie "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii"; second is the new version Blu-Ray of the film, with the restored video and multi-channel audio.
    The exhibition was an outstanding success, with a large turnout over the two-day event.

PH416156 and Stuevts like this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just to clarify, does this new restoration consist of just the songs performed at Pompeii plus the songs done in Paris or does it also have the Abbey Road footage?

10. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Bumping this. Will this appear as an official DVD/BluRay release?

11. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Anything new on this ?

12. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Yes, there is some new news - Pink Floyd are about to announce the release of the super immersion Pompeii box which will include the blu-ray of the concert, in 4:3, with the three different mixes (stereo and two surround) and the documentary mentioned in the article.

To capture the time period the box will also include every Pink Floyd album on cassette (as most real fans will only have Pink Floyd on CD and vinyl the cassettes will be something new to most).

It will also come with some buttons, some old photos on postcards, and a 5kg stone copy of a Pompeii carving

The blu-ray will only be available in this box.

Though some will complain, the band think this is great value for only $399

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  13. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Awesome, looking forward to it !!!

14. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I must have missed that announcement 11 days ago.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  15. MichaelCPE

Though my post is in jest - there is a serious point behind it.

I'm a huge Floyd and surround fan - yet I still don't have Wish You Were Here in 5.1 because it only comes in the immersion box.

It is amazing to me that there is no Pink Floyd on blu-ray. Even if there is only SD picture a hi-rez surround soundtrack would make it worth upgrading to blu. And where is Alan Parker's film of The Wall???

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

In a box under Roger's bed. With the original Wall concert films and the recent tour films.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

18. MichaelCPE

Great that WYWH SACD is available on it's own - but US$35 :mad:

That is over double what I'm paying for the blu-ray of the latest Steven Wilson solo album.

Pete Puma likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I guess yer just not that huge a Floyd and surround fan then.

bobcat likes this.
  20. MichaelCPE

I'm not willing to be exploited just because I'm a fan.

Some fans seem to enjoy being exploited as if this proves, to them, that they are real fans - but to me that just proves they are being exploited.

PS (an edit): This was really the point behind my Pompeii Immersion Set post - though some fans would buy it to prove what 'real' fans they are - this sort of thing is, IMHO, ripping people off, and for fans like me who refused to be ripped off, I miss out on the Pompeii blu-ray (or the WYWH SACD).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Anthrax likes this.
  21. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I would love a blu ray version of original film. The "redo" version from 2000 was lame. The new space shots did not look right in the context of 1971 footage. Leave the film as it was originally edited and throw in extras as a bonus section. As for other Pink Floyd on Blue Ray, I don't think Pulse was recorded in in HD (I could be wrong), So, i'm not certain if BLU Ray would help much or have enough buyers to justify a re-edit. Now, I hear that a WALL tour concert was shot in 35mm. That would be interesting. The youtube videos look very dark and sometime hard to follow IMO

Bolero likes this.
  22. MichaelCPE

I have Lou Reed: Live in Montreux 2000 on what is labelled SD blu-ray - the picture is only SD but the audio hi-rez surround.

The picture is a bit better because a higher bit rate can be used, but the reason for upgrading my DVD is the better sound.

Now if they can do this for a minor Lou Reed concert I'm sure it would be easy to do for Pulse - and I'm sure that Pulse on SD blu-ray would sell much more.

23. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I'd love to just have the soundtrack in hi-res

vivalapsych likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

if you knew where to look you could have bought surround discs of DSOTM, Division, Moon, and probably Island for under $30 each. WYWH has some really nice packaging and it's an 3rd party audiophile release. Get over yourself.

NunoBento and bobcat like this.
  25. MichaelCPE

I've had DSofM on SACD for years, have Island on DVD 5.1, and as Division isn't a favourite didn't bother.

"Get over yourself" is probably what PF are saying about us fans who want Pompeii released on blu-ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.