Restored Thorens TD 160 Compared to New Production Turntables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm considering buying a restored TD 160 from Vinyl Nirvana (or similarly restored TD 160 from elsewhere). Should I expect the sound quality to generally be on par with new production belt-drive decks in the $1000-$2000 range, like Rega P6, Clearaudio Concept, etc., or is this wishful thinking?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I would say yes.

James RD, nosliw, Dennis Metz and 3 others like this.
  3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Yes, but if you have springy floors count on using a wall mount. My restored TD-150 mkii skipped if you farted nearby. I couldn't use a wall mount so I got a Planar 3 instead.

doctor fuse and rischa like this.
  4. rischa

Thanks! How do you like the P3 compared to the Thorens? My current table is an upgraded RP3.

5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Unfortunately, I didn't have them in the house at the same time. I was selling a Marantz 2220b and the interested couple made an offer on the Thorens I couldn't refuse. From memory, I would say the Rega is a little more punchy while the Thorens was more open sounding. Of course, the Rega runs a tad fast. The Thorens was dead-on 33.33.

rischa likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

a local record store uses one. the owners have lots of fun spinning lps for the customers and i was immediately impressed with the sound. it kept sounding great lp after lp. the table has a warm, smooth refined sound that could be too dark for some systems. if your system leans neutral to slightly thin and bright it could be the ticket. if your sound is already smooth and warm it could be too much of a good thing.

SandAndGlass and M.R.Collins like this.
  7. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I love my VN150. I have a slab floor and zero issues with the suspension.

SandAndGlass and Sedwards like this.
  8. GurraG

GurraG Senior Member

My td150 is extremely resistent to footfalls. I can knock pretty hard with my knuckles on the plinth without any thump being transferred to the speakers. I’ve used it on several different types of flooring.

My Td125 lb is a lot more difficult to get that resistent, so I swapped the springs to rubber suspension and things went allright with that one also!

As for comparing to other decks I can only compare to an old Rega Planar 2 I used to have that I upgraded with Groovetracer acrylic platter and aluminum inner platter. I definetely prefer the more lifelike reproduction of the td’s! Regarding cost and value I can’t tell as I’ve bought everything used and pretty old at the time of my purchase.

HiFi Guy 008, Sedwards and rischa like this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I have a TD160, upgraded (not by vinylnirvana), with a denon dl110. I have had this TT for 15 years now. 2 years ago I bought a JVC QLA7 as I wanted a direct drive to try which is also easier to use for playing 45rpm records. But critically listening is always done on the Thorens.
    Let's just say that I will only consider changing my TD160 out for a new table that is around the $3000 mark, as I am pretty sure anything less is a sidemove.

10. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Yes.

I have had my TD160 for 4 decades.

It was with me all the way through university and survived various house moves, before ending up in storage for 5 0r so years (young kids, seduced by CD etc.)

In 2013 I had it serviced and even though I had never changed the belt or added any oil, :oops:, it was working perfectly and the bearing was still perfect. These things are properly engineered.

In 2015 I had it sensitively upgraded as below:

Thorens

I had the Piano Black plinth, but didn't opt for the separate DC motor and PSU. The work was carried out by Robert Isherwood who owns Inspire HiFi and he also gave it a clean bill of health.

Mine still has its original SME 3009 Series II Improved tonearm and is now paired with an Ortofon 2M Black which suits it beautifully.

It is used every day and continues to give enjoyment.

I can't imagine you would be disappointed with a TD 160 especially one from VinylNirvana.

[​IMG]

Best of luck and enjoy whatever turntable you choose.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I compared my old 160S with an old version of the Rega 3 30 yrs ago and there wasn't a great deal in it. But factoring arm upgradability and suspension would give a nod to Thorens. Also consider what power supply comes with the modded deck. The new regas are far better sounding especially P6 level which comes with power supply / electronic speed control. On that basis would probably go for a new P6 but there are many other new alternatives of similar quality at that price point. Also the Thorens suspension is a bit of a problem with wooden floors. You might also consider the new Thorens 1600 model which vastly updates the old 160 design using an inverted spring suspension system.

Randoms likes this.
  12. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Yes, the TD160 would be just as good if you are talking about $1-2000 for a new modern TT. But IMHO, no, if you are talking about $1-2000 for a used modern TT.

13. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

If you go for the TD160 I can recommend the bfly custom made dampening platform for the Thorens. I have one for my TD320 and it works like a charm. It also looks good, IMO.
    It is a German manufacturer. THORENS® Accessories

caravan70 likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd take a Vinyl Nirvana TD 160 over any Rega, any ClearAudio, all day long. The Thorens was a fundamentally better designed and engineered turntable to begin with. The Vinyl Nirvana upgrades make a great thing better than when new.

caravan70, Sedwards, rischa and 3 others like this.
  15. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I have owned a P3 and currently have a VN TD 160 Super. The VN is significantly better sounding and infinitely more adjustable/flexible in accommodating carts due to the tonearms used.

Sedwards, Benzion, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Any skipping issues with footfalls could have easily been fixed by using an $80 isolation platform from Auralex

Worked for me on my suspended AR, and other tables.

Look for platforms that incorporate polyurethane foam in the construction.

Sedwards likes this.
  17. Benzion

At about $250, it isn't cheap.

18. Benzion

I do not own a 160, but I own a suspended AR, and I have seen/heard a few Regas. On any day of the year, and any time of the day, I would choose a Thorens over Rega.

Incidentally, it was AR that introduced the concept of suspended turntable. All the others - Thorens, Ariston, and then Linn, just jumped on the bandwagon, and never gave much credit to AR.

19. LakeMountain

Interesting, as I would have said at 250$ it is not expensive!:)

20. rischa

My RP3 is upgraded with Groovetracer reference subplatter and delrin platter, ttpsu, white belt, and Cardas wiring in the tonearm (because I snapped a lead, doh!). I have no complaints about the sound, but I'm getting bored with it and would like to have something better looking. Looks like I can get a TD 160 in decent shape for about $600 on the used market and then have VN restore it for another $600, and it would still be cheaper than my RP3 with all the upgrades. I just don't want to lose any gains I've made in sound quality just to have a prettier deck. Sounds like I don't need to worry about that, though.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  21. Benzion

caravan70 likes this.
  22. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Upfront disclaimer - I'm a big fan of the sound of vintage TT's and Thorens in particular. And I haven't had a 160, but do have a 126 with the stock arm (that I use strictly with a mono cartridge) and and 124 with a Jelco 850 arm. I also have a VPI Classic Signature. So much of this is all tonearm/cartridge dependent so direct comparisons are not easy. I have a Soundsmith Paua MC on my VPI and a much cheaper AT VM750SH MM on my 124. For classic rock and blues, some jazz, I'll take the 124. With classical, acoustic, some vocal stuff I use the VPI. I enjoy them equally, even though there is a lot more money put into the VPI than the 124. But I have to say, before this VPI I had a Classic I and before that a Clearaudio Concept, which are more in the price range you're talking and I would take the Thorens over either of those tables.

BTW, on the vibration/suspension issue, my experience has been that some simple and cheap isolation solutions make it a non-issue for me.

MarshallMan, bever70 and rischa like this.
  23. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

In the early '80s Hi-Fi Answers proposed the Rega Planar 3 or the TD160S as their option for anyone whose price bracket was higher than a Sansui SR222 but lower than a Linn LP12. A section of the magazine was devoted to readers' queries and when it came to turntables they always received these same answers.

I note that we're not talking about stock units here. I would imagine that there's not much to choose between a fully-modded RP3 and the VNTD160 but, put another way, I don't think you can't go wrong with your proposal.

24. LakeMountain

I get it, there are indeed cheaper general platforms. The bfly one is specifically designed to fit and dampen the Thorens body, which is one of the (few) weak points. With the bfly you get something that fits snug with the Thorens and does not look like a platform, but rather like a integral part of TT.
    It is two things, it is a general platform with 4 dampening feet and it is a Thorens base dampener with 5 dampers.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    caravan70 likes this.
  25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The footfall thing is typically American from what I understand as we all use concrete here in Eu for flooring etc .. and not wood, so no issues here with skipping from footfalls.

Technocentral and Panama Hotel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.