Restoring a Grundig turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schoolmaster Bones, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Dig my cardboard plinth:

My sister-in-law has a lovely Grundig console stereo (all tube amp, very nice bass reproduction), that unfortunately has a turntable that's in serious disrepair. A failed attempt to replace the stylus, and an even more failed attempt to replace the cartridge has left the unit as little more than show furniture for some time.

This weekend I offered to take the turntable home with me to see what I can do with it. Anyway, a spare Stanton 680 cart was pressed into service, some careful rewiring and removal of low-pass passive network (for the original ceramic cart) and the sound is very nice.

I have a thing for the old turntables. I love them, take them in like strays, fix them up. Just felt like sharing.

CrazyCatz, jamesmaya, rxcory and 9 others like this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Stray turntables....genious !!!:laugh:

3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have a spare 1957 Voice of Music mono record changer I would like to give a good home to.PM me if interested.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Follow-up: I brought the turntable, restored with new magnetic cartridge, to my sister-in-law's place today. As expected, the unit required a proper phono stage (the original cart was a ceramic). I took the precaution of bringing my trusty old Shure phono preamp, which integrated nicely into the existing system. The amp chassis' switch assembly required much De-Oxit, and a a few of the original Telefunken tubes needed some re-seating and cleaning... but overall, the results were glorious:

black sheriff and clhboa like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This turntable reminds me of the Telefunken stereo console I have inherited from my late father ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.