Resurrection - New Series on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone planning to watch the new show Resurrection on ABC tonight? It is on at 9:00 E / 8:00 C.

From the previews I have seen it looks like it might be pretty good.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm going to give it a shot, I'll record it and watch it either later tonight or tomorrow afternooon.

It's about time we had another "The 4400" . .. :D

Vidiot likes this.
  3. rockclassics

I plan to watch it too. I had forgotten about The 4400.

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am going to give it a shot. I am also going to give that show Believe a shot even though it is from J.J. Abrams.

5. rockclassics

My wife is concerned that Resurrection may be too creepy and is not planning to watch it. She said she doesn't even want to think about any of her relatives or someone she knew coming back.

6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I'd be really annoyed if some of my relatives came back.

imarcq, BZync and MarkO like this.
  7. rockclassics

My wife and I got into a big discussion about this today. Just think one of your older relatives came back after being gone for several years. Would they expect their home, money, car, etc. back? I'll bet they would. What physical shape would they be in - especially if they had health problems when they passed away. Would their social security or pension start up again? I doubt it.

If you try to apply reality to this, it falls apart quickly. There are a whole lot of questions that can't be answered. As you can imagine, it was an interesting discussion that my wife and I had.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, it's clear they are going to apply reality to it. Check out the trailer, where clearly a grieving mother and father are in shock that their young child has come back more than 33 years after his death...

So I think the point of the show is applying reality to a frightening fantasy situation. The show is based on Jason Mott's novel The Returned, and while there's a French TV series with a similar title and plot, the American show is said to be different.

I see a lot of echos of Stephen King's Pet Sematary, where when people come back from the dead, they're a little... "different." And in this case, complications will ensue, and I'm sure it's the complications that will carry a lot of the plot lines. What concerns me is how much they're going to explain as to the how and why of the dead people: aliens? The supernatural? Biblical? Unless they're careful, it could get very hokey and very stupid, very quickly.

Karnak and rockclassics like this.
  9. rockclassics

Opening segment....wow.

I like Omar Epps as an actor. He was Foreman on House.

Also Kurtwood Smith from That 70s Show is in this.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

another one my wife is recording tonight...I'm sure she'll ask me to watch it with her. I do like Omar, but I just don't want to get into another network TV and be disappointed...LOST did it for me.

11. Michael

yes he was great in that! if you can, check him out in the boxing movie he did years ago. Against The Ropes...

12. Michael

I would love to have my deceased loved ones back, but I'm sure there is a price to pay.

13. rockclassics

Since I assume many are recording or will watch on demand to view this later I am not going to discuss specifics of the show. But I will say it definitely has my attention.

JimC and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

heck, I may give it a try! previews looked good...

15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Wow, I've never heard you mention that before.

Synthfreek, Scott222C and cb70 like this.
  16. Michael

thanks my friend. I didn't think you cared.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

A pretty good good pilot. I think there might have been an under-reaction to dead loved ones showing up out of the blue especially in the second case. We'll see how it plays out over the next few episodes.

JimC likes this.
  18. rockclassics

They set up next weeks show very well. I actually thought the guy for next week was there for a different reason.

JimC likes this.
  19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I care deeply & profoundly.

cb70 likes this.
  20. Michael

Gee! Thanks so much. Back at you...

21. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Enjoyed the pilot, but don't need to watch again till the finale.

22. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

This is "The Returned" respun for American audiences. The French series was great, hopefully this one will be too.

kevintomb likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I enjoyed the show very much. But I sure the hell hope they come up with a good explanation as to what happened to everybody, and why they're back.

Not so. From Wikipedia:

The series is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott. Although similar in concept to Les Revenants, it is based on a different source, and Resurrection has no connection to the French movie or TV series.

There's also a Korean TV series that translates to Resurrection, and that one is different as well. I'm with Lonson above that this is more of a retread of The 4400, which is an extremely similar idea... and that turned out to be aliens who had abducted each of these people, changed their DNA by giving them subtle superpowers, and then brought them back to earth to basically advance the species.

As with Stephen King's Under the Dome, I would expect that the show could go into different directions than the novel. One explanation, though: assuming they exhume the bodies of the (previously) dead people, and the bodies are still there, the only "simple" explanation is that these people are all clones. Who made the clones, how they made them, and why they made them are the interesting questions. I get a big "Dharma Group" feel from the whole thing, but this show better have more answers than Lost.

I'm not hopeful -- one review of the book on Amazon says "This is a very finely written piece, don't get me wrong, but my questions were never answered. Why the returned come, what their purpose is, where they go when they disappear... I just don't know, and that was the main reason I picked up this novel; I wanted to know."

The impression I get is that this is a real downer novel, but I won't post any spoilers beyond that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Aliens have read the mind of grieving people on earth and have made clones from their memories to reappear. When the time is right, they take over. She comes back as well but this time with longer hair to fool people. morena_baccarin0_ctg7v5q8.jpg

Oh crap, I should have read the post above this one. I was just joking. Guess it's real.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought she hooked up with a US marine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.