Resurrection - New Series on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

2. There ought to be a law or something that anybody who starts one of these "great mystery" shows has to have thought the mystery all the way through before they start. The network should demand it. Write it down somewhere, including when you will reveal what along the way and show it to the writing staff (after making them sign a heavy duty non-disclosure form) once a month to make sure they stay on track. Or at least have the creator spell the whole thing out to the network bigwigs. I haven't trusted any of these types of shows since it became obvious that the X Files writers were making up the whole conspiracy thing on the fly. Maybe have a few versions - if it last 10 weeks, if it lasts a season or if it will go for a few years. You can engineer some flexibility but have at least a basic start-to-finish plan! Launching these big mystery shows with no firm resolution is like hiring an architect who designs the first floor of your building and says "buy the land, just build that floor and I'll figure out the rest once I see what it looks like." I wouldn't hire them. . .

Deesky likes this.
  3. The show is based on the book The Returned so the main storyline is worked out/complete.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If you dial down the craziness and intensity, he actually raises a lot of good points about Lost's ending. The comments after the video are all over the map, mainly from people who insist that the "clues" for the explanations are all in the show. Based on what I've read in the Lost Encyclopedia, there ain't a lot of clues there in the episodes; the facts and explanations are in the book.

Actually, what was done in the book is going to run out very quickly, so -- like Under the Dome -- they're now going to have to proceed to uncharted territory in Resurrection and go into much more story and many more characters. I suspect the novel was merely a jumping-off point, and they've got the freedom to do whatever they want with it.

As a comparison: even The Walking Dead (a huge success as a comic book and a bigger success as a TV series) have diverged, where certain characters exist in one but not the other, other characters died in one but not the other, and a major character gets badly wounded and loses an eye, which hasn't happened in TV series. So the two mediums are sometimes very different.

As was mentioned earlier, there was also a previous Korean TV show from 2005 also titled Resurrection that covered similar territory. Novelist Jason Mott has also written several more novellas that continue the adventures of The Returned's characters, so it'll be interesting to see whether any of those changes find their way to the TV series.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    kevywevy likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I doubt that will happen on broadcast networks as they tend to shoot stuff at the wall, see what sticks, and then milk it as long as possible before running into the ground.

However, the model you advocate, is being practiced on the premium cable networks which order tighter, shorter seasons that are well planned out and often released all at once.

I was exactly in the same boat with X-Files. I watched the first handful of episodes and quickly came to the same conclusion and dropped the show there and then.

kevywevy likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

his rant was intense...he was really pissed off, but yes he did have valid points that we both agreed with!

7. Michael

are they going by the book? I have not read it...have you? or anyone here?

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

In my opinion, the X-Files mythology arc worked out pretty well through 5 1/2 seasons, whether or not they were making if up as they went along. They should have ended that storyline with "Two Fathers" and "One Son," the two-parter in the middle of season 6 in which they revealed everything with the exception of the fate of Mulder's sister. That was revealed in season 7. Besides, the X-Files' seasons averaged about 22 episodes with only about 5 of those being mythology episodes. Some of the X-Files' best episodes were the stand-alone episodes. One of the reasons I still love the show so much is that I can go back and watch random episodes years later, some of which I've forgotten about, and it's like I'm watching a brand new episode, because I don't remember some of them. That's the downfall of these current trendy one plot shows like Breaking Bad. You can't go back and watch random episodes, because it's part of one long ongoing story.

9. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I had the bad series ending experience already with "Twin Peaks" and got over it, so I could enjoy LOST for what it was - entertaining show, better than most of the other shows -

Encuentro likes this.
  10. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Thanks guys. It's the strangest thing. I figured it was my TV, but it doesn't happen when I watch on OnDemand, only on broadcast. It is like having cicadas in your ears while trying to watch. Bizarre. Moving on . .

11. Michael

you're welcome...maybe tonight's show will be quieter!

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting episode tonight. Some clues as to why people returned. Also explanation about why some disappear.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

I was happy with the outcome of tonight's show...Mama knows best!

14. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Another good episode!

15. Michael

was there a New Resurrection on Sunday Nov 16th?

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm guessing it was laid to rest on Sunday.

17. Michael

gee thanks! that was helpful...

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How was it not helpful? It didn't air, so no, there was no new Resurrection on Sunday.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

No. It will be back on Sun Nov 30th.

There was a two hour Once Upon a Time last night.

20. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

21. Michael

22. Michael

OK. thanks...we noticed this when my wife watched the 2 hour OUAT!

23. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I am reading the book now, happened across it at the library recently...it's not quite the same as the show but very similar.

Shawn likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just caught up on the last few episodes and I think they're kind of treading water. They took a long, long time to explain that <major character name> actually had died in 1934 and been resurrected twice. But at least we now know a little more about the mysterious government lady in charge of The Project. What remains to be seen is why Mom is wreaking so much havoc and what she knows about the dead workers at the factory.

It's a good story and the acting is extremely good, but my real problem with the show boils down to pacing and structure, and how they need to get to the F'in' point faster. A lot of these shows would benefit from moving about 25% faster.

rockclassics likes this.
  25. Michael

no show last night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.