Retro TV channels on broadcast/over-the-air television

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

It looks great! It seems to be what Game Show Network used to be when it was worth watching! :)

Thwacko likes this.
  2. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Right now I'm watching Stargate SG-U on Comet TV - wow, never thought I'd see such a modern show on this channel (SG-U ran from 2009 thru 2011). And, fortunately it's broadcast in its original 16:9 format.

3. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

oops double post

4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

You aren't kidding. Just how many back-to-back-to-back-to-back episodes of "Reba" can anyone watch?!? :yikes:

Scooterpiety and MikeInFla like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

What version of The Outer Limits does COMET TV show?

6. PaulKTF

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Not only are some of the games really strange but the clothes and hair fashions are
    somewhat laughable (unless you like polyester with contrast stitching and double knits).

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Wish we got these kind of channels in New Zealand. We only just got a male orientated channel on Free to air just on the 19th "DUKE".

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A channel I just got on my cable lineup is an Alexandria, MN based channel called KOOL TV (they also stream on the WWW at www.kooltv-mn.com and they have a Roku channel at Roku ») which airs tons of public domain movies and TV shoes and other low budget programming.

11. PaulKTF

Cool! I will definitely look into that. Thanks, Brad!

Wow, they're running Santa Claus and Santa Claus Conquers The Martians? Sweet!

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Comet TV now has a Roku channel and they do stream on their website.

13. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Love your Little Pattie avatar!

MikaelaArsenault and goodiesguy like this.
  14. James Slattery

GET is the best because they run 1/2 hour shows in a 35 or 40 minute time slot and don't cut them. GRIT doesn't cut either, nor does Encore Westerns. The others butcher the shows and are useless as far as I'm concerned.

15. MikaelaArsenault

What happened to Super Password on BUZZR? Because all I see now is Password Plus. Did Super Password get removed from the lineup?

16. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Ayy, someone recognized her! Probably better known abroad as the cousin of the Divinyls Chrissie Amphlett.

17. Discovered H&I (as they call themselves) about 4 months ago, when I noticed they were broadcasting ALL the Star Trek series (even the animated one!), every episode, in order. I've been catching up on the last two years of Enterprise (which I never saw when it first aired), and started DVR-ing all of DS9 too from the beginning.

I sure wish they'd do more classic (i.e. 70's) sci-fi, like Space 1999, and the like -- or even the original Battlestar Galactica, the Logan's Run TV series, Planet of the Apes, etc... Anyway, I think H&I does have one or two other sci-fi offerings (I forget which), though of the more modern variety (90's, iirc).

18. James Slattery

I have the 20 track CD that came out and then CDRs of all of her LPs and singles. Love Pattie. Sorry, but I'm only vaguely aware of her cousin.

MikaelaArsenault and goodiesguy like this.
  19. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

One thing I like about BUZZR is that the commercial breaks are relatively short... probably the same length they were back in the day when some of these programs were originally shown. So it's tolerable to watch these game shows with having to record them first, then fast-forward through the commercials.

20. MikaelaArsenault

The commercials that they do though are really funny.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

ME TV is ok, but it is WAY too repetitive. They need to mix things up more and put some of the more obscure stuff on late at night, in my area they switch to local news for a few hours late at night so it's dead to me then.

I do still watch it fairly often from around 9PM to midnight anyhow as the wife likes Carol Burnett, Twilight Zone And Alfred Hitchcock, that's a good 3 show run in a row for sure.

The Sci Fi channel was simply amazing in it's early years, lots of great old movies, lots of great TV shows, minimal interruptions and it was a good mix of everything.

Sad that there's nothing like that now.

Fortunately I have most of that stuff on DVD or blu ray now anyhow.

Man.....I did A LOT of VHS recording back then off Sci Fi channel before prerecorded VHS tapes came down to a reasonable price ($12~), Sci Fi was my only source for all that stuff. I always checked the TV guide as a ritual for the upcoming week on SCi Fi channel and made sure I had enough blank tapes to cover what I wanted.

I still have some VHS tapes with the early Sci Fi logo, the changing clock.

Sci-Fi Premiere (Sept 24, 1992)

22. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

So many good over the air retro channels now. I love MeTV, Antenna TV, Get, This, Movies!, H&I, and BUZZR. I hardly get to watch any tv because I am so busy, but I feel so lucky to be around in this time. Enjoy it while it lasts.

clhboa likes this.
  23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Although they change the aspect ratio, the picture quality on MeTv is so much better on the majority of shows, than all the other sub channels. Gunsmoke and Perry Mason especially.

24. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

We don't get BUZZR here, but while visiting in the San Francisco Bay Area I got addicted to their showing of What's My Line and To Tell the Truth because of the original commercials. Fun stuff.

25. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Not To Tell the Truth; it's I've Got a Secret.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.