Reunion with Costello and a former Attraction tanks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan C, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Every Costello fan has a different fave it seems. I strongly disagree that EC hasn't done superb work since "Trust" (a brilliant album indeed).
    Perhaps my favorite EC album of all is "King of America", which only has the full Attractions on one track. I also think that "All This Useless Beauty" can hold up to his late 70s/early 80s work. I wouldn't give up any other EC album though. Of those classics, I pick "Armed Forces", "This Year's Model", and "Imperial Bedroom".
    So many choices!
    Costello is awesome. :cool:
    Dan C

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

King of America and Get Happy!! are my two favorite Costello records. But yes, even among his own fans Costello seems to inspire wildly varying responses to his work.

My view is that the cutoff point, after which he's never quite achieved consistent greatness across the span of a whole LP, was Blood and Chocolate. He's made many, many tracks since then that individually thrill me, but not since then has he made an album that really knocked my socks off. (Not even my favorite of the post Blood work, Brutal Youth, which starts off great but IMO loses the plot somewhere around the middle of what in vinyl days would've been Side 2.)

3. Matt

Matt New Member

I agree with Jeff. After B&C, Elvis did record some good tunes, but I don't think his albums since are that good. His last one is okay, probably his best since B&C, but doesn't always work.

I still prefer his first three, which are perfect. King of America is very good, but has a few clunkers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.