Revamped Who "Isle Of Wight" DVD due

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

It'd be nice if this was re-edited to restore the concert's original running order, and complete songs. We shall see...

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000576422

The Who Revisits 'Isle Of Wight'

The Who's classic concert film "Live at the Isle of Wight" has been restored for a three-pronged release in 49 North American movie theaters (Aug. 9), on DVD (Aug. 10 via Eagle Rock) an on the INHD high-definition television network (Aug. 14). The film captures the Who's Aug. 30, 1970, performance at the U.K. festival, which fans regard as one of the best of the band's career.

The theatrical release will include a 10-minute excerpt of a new interview with guitarist Pete Townshend plus an introduction by director Murray Lerner. Advance tickets for the showings can be ordered via Regal Cinemas' Web site.

Townshend's full 40-minute interview can be found on the "Wight" DVD, which features DTS sound and a digitally restored picture from the original negatives. The show sports a complete performance of the rock opera "Tommy," plus a storming run through Mose Allison's "Young Man Blues," the John Entwistle-penned rarity "Heaven and Hell" and such favorites as "Magic Bus," "My Generation" and "I Can't Explain."

The band's set ran from 2 to 5 a.m., and featured Entwistle decked out in his infamous skeleton outfit. As was a common practice at the time, band members destroyed their instruments once the show concluded.

The Who is gearing up for a host of summer shows, beginning July 24-25 at Japan's Rock Odyssey Festival. The group then heads to Australia for three shows and then to the United States for appearances in Honolulu, outside San Francisco and Los Angeles.

2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Good news, because the quality of the photography and sound is outstanding....too bad it wasn't a better show. They were good and ready for a break after a year-plus of 'Tommy.'

Still, in a spanking-new theater with stadium seating (which is where it's showing here locally), it might be lots of fun.....even for $12-frickin-50.

3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Is this going to be the complete and unedited 3 hour performance, or just the chopped up and condensed presentation found on the "Listening to You" video?

Also, who'll be doing the sound, Jon Astley or Bob Irwin?

James

4. Ere

Ere Senior Member

From the Regal Cinema site. This page includes a dropdown menu of the theaters that will be showing the film.
    [​IMG]
    :D

5. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

So, if I can't make it on the 9th, I could probably see a showing on the 10th, right?;)

6. Danny

Danny Senior Member

We did the HD transfer where I work. It's the same condensed presentation. I'm not sure who did the sound but I can check the credits.

7. Danny

Danny Senior Member

here's the info:

5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX
    sound consultant
    PETE TOWNSHEND
    mixed by
    BOB PRIDDEN
    EEL PIE OCEANIC STUDIOS
    pro tools programmer
    MATT HAY
    mastered by
    JON ASTLEY
    CLOSE TO THE EDGE MASTERING
    audio post
    BOB SCHOTT
    SONY MUSIC STUDIOS

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Unless they've put the song order back into it's correct line-up (ie, opening songs, Tommy in the middle, encore) I see no reason to ditch my old DVD for the new one.
    :rolleyes: :mad:

9. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I wasn't really familiar with the film before we worked on it, but I'm fairly certain that there isn't anything new added to the HD version we did. We didn't work on the DVD per se, so there may be tons of extras etc, that I don't know about.

I know it sounds weird, I'm not always sure where the things we work on end up. We just did a Phish feature on the IT festival or something, and I don't know if it's it's for theatrical release, TV or what. :confused:

10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Forty minutes of Pete reminiscing isn't enough for ya? :winkgrin:
    IOW is the least played Who DVD in my collection. The cuts from it included in 30 Years Maximum RnB are plenty. Granted, the Young Man Blues with Moonie bouncing his drumstick twenty feet high off the set and catching it in time for the next beat are not to be missed!

What I could get psyched about, though, would be a good DVD presentation from the '97 Quadrophenia tour. With all the extra media they prepared for that tour it begs for a DVD release.

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

"IT", Phish in Limestone ME (August 2 and 3 2003), will air in early August on PBS stations nationwide (on different days and times) before being released on DVD.

12. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I never got to see the entire thing with finished audio, but it's pretty cool. I'm guessing PBS will be broadcasting it in HD.

13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Yes, some PBS stations will be airing it in HD. I was one of the 60,000 excited, exhausted fans but I have a weekend of great memories (including running in the Runaway Jim Memorial 5K race on Sunday morning. I'm #219 and finished very poorly :( No sleep and poor nutrition all weekend but it was a lot of fun! :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.