Revelation: Klipsch Forte II - 1990s

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnDoe1, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDoe1

JohnDoe1 New Member Thread Starter

Folks,

If you have never heard these or owned them...well...I recv'd a loaner and I am in shock.

Paired simply with a .75W Bob Danielak Darling Tube amp and any source: iPOD, SACD Machine, Tuner....tube preamp and Tube or SS Tuner...in shock.

I have had the priviledge of owning and listening through many loaners: Jensen Triplex, Kustom 300 dual JBL D130s with a Altec 511 Horn - with Atlas Phenolic driver, Altec A7's and even the blessed Klipsch Corner Horn and LaScalla...shock.

Maybe it's the phenolic drivers...my Hypex Horn in the Jensen Triplex once it was re-diaphraghmed did not sound as good with a Titanium Diaphram.

These blow away just about anything I have heard.

So shocking was the tube amp at again, .75W per channel.

Simply an amazing speaker. If you get the chance, get a listen or buy them.

Anyway, back to work now. The drivers were all original 1990 and they were in perfect working order, a true testiment to a master craftsperson.

Oh, I did not have any vinyl to play but I assume the same astounding sound.

FWIW.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

These are superb speakers with McIntosh or Marantz tube amps. They are also superb with HH Scott tubes, Fisher Tubes, and Dynacos. Superb for tube audio lovers who are space challenged.

3. dinchart

dinchart New Member

They also sound great with NAD integrateds from the same era.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I had a pair once. Nice speaker. They can play very loud.

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Incredible set of speakers those Forte II's...Used to have them in Black Ash from Harvey Electronics some years ago. $1500.00 for the pair I remember. Paired 'em up with a stack 'o' NAD, and they were something else. I really miss them badly. Sounded HUGE.

6. LesPaul666

Not to double post, But the Forte' II's should be recommended to Klipsch for a re-issue, Like the Hersey's etc. The best sounding pair of speakers I've ever had.

7. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

I vividly remember a demo at the dealers around 88-89. The Forte II's were the 3 way with a 12" woofer and 15" passive right? the dynamics were explosive and the overall sound was extremely coherent. Too bad I recommended my cousin to purchase the Chorus II's instead or I'd still be able to hear those overachievers. The Forte II's definitely deserve to be reissued!

8. LesPaul666

I THINK(not sure) that the passive radiators on the back(which were uncovered) were 12", like the woofers. I sold them to a co-worker with some other components as a package deal. Even delivered them to him to Brooklyn from Jersey. What a mistake! Very explosive. Very even, smooth sounding. Yet they were very open, sort of like a set of Urei studio monitors. This is making my wheels turn now...Time to send some feedback to Klipsch!

9. LesPaul666

10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have a pair of Forte's from 1988 (not the II's). They were part of my first real stereo. I have them in my basement system now (powered by a NAD receiver, with a Rotel cdp). I have to say that for the price I paid they were very good speakers. They don't come close to my B&W N800s or my N804s, but I still enjoy them. They have a very big and full sound.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Are they still being made?

12. LesPaul666

Unfortunately, No...They still make revisions of Klipschorn, Hersey, and Cornwall, but no Forte'. :(

13. coopmv

What about the LaScala?

14. LesPaul666

Oops...Yeah they still make those...The LaScala II.

15. coopmv

I am seriously considering the Heresys to go with my first tube amp.

16. Dflip

Dflip New Member

The Fortes go deeper than some of the other heritage speakers which makes them a good rock and roll speaker, especially closer to the corners of the room. They do a great job for their size and price. For between $450 and 650 they are hard to beat, especially when they don't need a subwoofer like the Heresys.

17. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I had a pair of the original 4 Ohm Fortes for years. They could really crank it up. The reason they don't need a lot of power is that they were extremely efficient becuase of the horns. However, these horns were very directional, and the soundstage on my pair was very tight. I used to toe in each speaker to point directly at my listening seat to get the best sound.

FWIW, the main reason I bought these is because Stereo Review's Julian Hersch reviewed them and said, "At 23 Hz, these speakers have the lowest measurable bass response I've ever seen". There was a pair of KEF or Mission speakers that he reviewed a few years later and he used the same "lowest ever" quote. I mailed Stereo Review about it and although my letter didn't get printed, Hersch must've heard about it, because he responded that he stood corrected: The Forte was still the lowest bass response he ever measured. I don't think he ever found one that went lower.

Quite honestly, now that I don't play my music nearly as loud as I did when I was younger, I don't miss these Fortes. My pair didn't really come alive until I had a lot of sound moving out of the drivers. It was almost like they required the power to wake up. :laugh:

Kevin

18. djost

djost Hyperactive!

I have a pair of LaScala I''s with ALK xovers that I drive with a pair of 2A3 SET and a tube preamp. Sounds great. Klipsch horns with tubes is a very good match. I should be getting a Maestro II subwoofer in the next few days, which should take my system to the next level.

19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I think the original Forte's had a smaller passive radiator.

Another former Forte II owner. :thumbsup:
    Listened to them for more than a dozen years. They are a huge bang for the buck speaker, new or used.

As others have said, I found them to sound better louder which I don't do so much (never really did). I also thought they sounded the best with tubes. Very revealing and dynamic and no need for a sub. They play lower than a lot of subs. :laugh:

20. joelongwood

joelongwood Forum Resident

I've had a pair of the Forte II's for about 10 years now, and like others have said, they are an incredible speaker for the money. I'm running them off a vintage Harman Kardon 430 Twin Powered receiver from the mid 70's, and the synergy (as noted on the Klipsch Forums) is exemplary. Thanks for reminding me how good these are. :D

21. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I just sold a pair (rears to my Chorus 11 fronts) about six weeks ago. One guy took home all four. I loved those speakers!

I valued my marriage more, and they were huge, taking up way too much floor space. Replaced them with RF-7s; good, but I still miss the monsters!

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Oh my! I thought I was the only one whose wife dictated these kinds of things. My Fortes were sold for the exact same reason. Too big. I had even gone through the trouble of adding bucking magnets to each driver to stop interference with my large CRT TV. I sold the pair for $300. The bucking magnets from Klipsch cost more than that! :D

Kevin

23. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

Hate to get off topic, but could you tell me what you like about the RF-7's and what type of music are they best suited for?

I have been curious about them and the Forte II.

Thanks,

Bob

24. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

I'm sorry...any future wife of mine will just have to accept my '79 Cornwalls and my '04 RB-75 monitors. I refuse to sell my things just because she doesn't like their looks or they take up too much space.

25. LesPaul666

Those Cornwall's are way too righteous!:agree:

You should take a look at Klipsch's old nostalgic "bachelor pad" ad's they have on their website!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.