REVENGE OF THE CREATURE on 3-D Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

My favorite of all the 3 Creature films----not sure why, but its a fun, silly film and even better in 3D!

Karnak and Bob Furmanek like this.
  3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No individual release? So I'm going to be forced to have the first movie twice, in 2 boxed sets? Bummer, if so.

4. Bob Furmanek

Steve Litos and Simon A like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bob did you know there is currently a tribute to 3D show at the Los Angeles Country Museum of Art right now? It's new. I plan on going!

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

:laugh:

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Bob, I assume THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON remains unchanged from its previous release?

Thanks.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Pre-ordered, by the way! Excellent 3-D news and I've never seen the third 2-D installment in the series.

9. Bob Furmanek

Yes, they are using quite a bit of footage in the exhibit from our Flicker Alley Blu-ray release, 3-D RARITIES.

Yes, the same transfer. We offered to correct the mistakes but they weren't interested.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Bob Furmanek

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Watched this when I was a kid because Clint Eastwood was in it (for about 2 minutes).

[​IMG]

Karnak likes this.
  12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I got mine today. Yay! Only skipped around, but it looks nice. One disappointing thing, the new disc isn't a true blu-ray 3-D formatted disc. When you choose the 3-D option, you get a side by side image and have to set your TV to 3-D sbs. I'd have preferred a real frame sequential blu-ray 3-D that my TV would recognize automatically. Seems a shame to throw away that much resolution*, but as I said before, the image looks pretty good. Bob and Greg Kintz do top notch work.

* I read an article that seemed to indicate that side by side on blu-ray might be done with no loss of resolution, but I wasn't sure. As I've said, the image looks good.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Which is better? Revenge? or Black Lagoon?

14. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

The Revenge disc is a major dissappoinment. Really soft video quality and the 3D version is defective (split screen playback). This has to be a defective disc from Universal. The other two films look great. Universal needs to correct this issue with a corrected replacement disc.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think they were just cheap and went for the side by side over the real 3-D blu-ray authoring. If it was a mistake, I’d take a replacement disc.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Bob may well comment here, but he's already spoken briefly on the matter at hometheaterforums.com:

"The resolution of our 4K restoration has been severely compromised with the decision to cram two movies onto one disc and release it in a non-standard 3-D format.

There are no words..."

This really blows. I do think it looks "okay", but it's more like good DVD resolution than full 1080p.

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've let Universal know that I think it should be redone.

Contact Us

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Bob Furmanek

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Bob Furmanek

Why are there occasional flat scenes in vintage 3-D movies and why does REVENGE OF THE CREATURE rank at the top of that list?

This new page on our website will answer your questions!

Flat Scenes in 3-D Movies - 3dfilmarchive

[​IMG]

20. Bob Furmanek

We have just received this official statement:

STATEMENT RE: UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT’S REVENGE OF THE CREATURE 3D BLU-RAY REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

September 5, 2018

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) has identified a manufacturing issue which may affect the presentation of the 3D Blu-ray offering of the film Revenge of the Creature, released on August 28 , 2018 as part of the Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection and the Creature From the Black Lagoon Complete Legacy Collection. The issue is isolated to this particular film and does not affect any other discs in the collections. UPHE’s goal is to always deliver the best possible product to its consumers. To that end, a replacement program is being established to ensure that those who have purchased either collection have the opportunity to receive a corrected Blu-ray disc featuring the 3D version of Revenge of the Creature and 2D version of The Creature Walks Among Us, should they encounter the issue. To receive an updated disc, please email [email protected].

longdist01 likes this.
  21. This one and "Tarantula" Clint was the jet fighter pilot who bombed the creature.

mmars982 likes this.
  22. Bob Furmanek

Don't forget his work on FRANCIS IN THE NAVY.

I alerted them to this issue and Universal was on it by late Tuesday afternoon. That being said, it's a HUGE company with many departments involved plus you had the long holiday weekend.

There was never any doubt they would correct the mistake. I was in constant contact, sometimes on an hourly basis. The lack of patience was understandable but frustrating. People were expecting answers/results within a day or two and that was totally unrealistic.

I'll admit, the only time I saw red was when people began randomly calling the authoring facility and reporting wrong information. That spread more rumors and made my work even harder.

As an outside contractor, I was not paid or compensated for any work done on this title after we delivered the restored masters last fall. That includes our website with the detailed documentation (Revenge of the Creature - 3dfilmarchive ) and my public posts on the matter. You should have read some of the snarky letters that I received as if we had anything to do with this authoring debacle. I'm a very patient guy but the last nine days have been hell.

In conclusion: Universal moved at lightning speed to address and correct this issue. They deserve credit for moving so quickly.

23. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Good News!

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I got my replacement set and the 3-D works as it should (my TV recognizes it as a 3-D blu-ray, no need to manually set up 3-D viewing), but I still think the image is somewhat soft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.