Revenge of the Nerds (1984) - Questions?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benjamin Edge, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a few questions regarding the 1984 film Revenge of the Nerds?

1 - is it true that Michelle Meyrink's character, Judy, was named after actress Judy Garland (1922-1969)?
    2 - during the scene where Burke (Matt Salinger) does his fireballs and ultimately burns down the Alpha Betas' house on his third attempt, did the producers intend to use Jerry Lee Lewis's song "Great Balls of Fire" rather than the Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" (at least before the house is burned)?

~Ben

2. Look for the nerd with a hat during their big party. Continuity is lost as he is in places she should not be.
    Unfortunately I can't answer your questions.

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

You just got your asses WHIPPED....by a bunch of God Damn Nerds! NERDS!!!

4. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I'm bored I wanna see some bush.

clhboa likes this.
  5. Benjamin Edge

I think I may have a more interesting question about this film...

Is it true that the song Poindexter (Timothy Busfield) was playing on his violin (and I mean aside from the talent show performance) a rendition of "They're So Incredible," which is the melody the talent show music was? On the "talent show" performance, the original singing was erased and replaced by a rap by Lamar Latrell (Larry B. Scott).

~Ben

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Takashi: "I have three and four kings. Is that good?"
    Booger: "No, you got too many kings. So, we'll take out three of these kings, and replace them with three fresh cards."
    Takashi: "Oh, thank you! So, when do I deal?"
    Booger: "Well, you gotta win a hand, first."
    :D

7. Benjamin Edge

Lamar: "Arnold, this party's important. If we don't impress the Tri-Lambs, we'll never get in."
    Takashi: "Oh! Maybe we could have robster craws!"
    Booger: "What the [expletive gone] are robster craws?"

~Ben

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I love the movie, but haven't seen it since the 80s. I once went by the house they used in the movie in Tucson near the U of A campus.

9. Benjamin Edge

Why didn't the other Alpha Betas/Pi Delta Pis blame the damage to their house on Burke (and instead claim it was an electrical failure)? He really was the guy who burned down their house with his third "fireball."

~Ben

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A friend did an edit of the nerd rap that cut to the music under the credits effectively making an extended version. He did it with 2 VHS decks and timing. I still hear it in my head. Picked up a beat after the last note of the show and went off with the only voice going "Have you heard". Bet one of our geniuses here could do the same thing with the DVD with a lot less trouble.

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You do not rat out a frat brother.

seed_drill and Grant like this.
  12. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Fun film, makes a good double bill with Porky's.

Benno123 likes this.
  13. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Cool thing about revenge of the nerds, is you knew who each character was, not someone hiding behind a beard or something. Ahhh the 80s gotta love it...:cool:

14. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Speaking of "Revenge of the Nerds", I noticed that when they're in the police station, the person being arrested for mopery ("exposing yourself to a blind person") looks suspiciously like Ray Stevens.

Ray of course had a hit in '70s with "The Streak" so that would be funny in-joke. He also later made a video for the song looking very similar to the person in that scene.

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You mean Its Me Again Margaret

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Ah yes, his look in the "It's Me Again Margaret" video (phone booth scenes). I still think it's a funny reference, if that's him.

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It's not Busfield playing a violin. In fact, the sound isn't even really a violin. It's a cheap sounding synth. :sigh:

18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Wasn't it an electric violin or synth violin of some sort? I haven't seen this in ages.

19. Benjamin Edge

If you're talking about this...

~Ben

20. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

He was holding an electric violin, but that was definitely a synth that he was miming to.

Galley likes this.
  21. Benjamin Edge

Has anyone ever watched Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love, just to see this scene of Lewis and Betty leading their all-recorder ensemble?

The strange thing is: although Timothy Busfield did not appear in this TV movie, his character Poindexter and his instrument are pictured on the front cover of the DVD for this special. Too bad, because I think he and his violin would've come in handy for a special about love!

~Ben

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  22. Benjamin Edge

I also now think this song could've made the first Revenge of the Nerds original motion picture soundtrack. What do you think?

Some scenes match up with certain moments:
    The arm wrestling match between MJ and Michael Clarke Duncan at 0:55... with that of the arm wrestling match during the Greek games competition
    The "fire" scene at 4:14 (when Linda McCartney shouts the word)... with when Burke unexpectedly burned down the Alpha Betas' house.

~Ben

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  23. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

We've got bush!

Benno123 and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  24. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Our house, our house. Our house is burning down! All while roasting marshmallows. :D

25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Beatledust likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.