REVIEW: my new Spin-Clean

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I don't 100% air dry - I use a cloth as recommended (which is the one con with this product -- not enough cloths. I need to buy more of them as the two the give you become pretty ineffective after only 4 or 5 records) .

Is there a concern about possible scuff marks? I've haven't had any, at least not yet. Probably the cloth they give you would be the biggest concern, so again perhaps invest in a few more microfiber cloths?

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yeah who knows, I've always felt wiping just presses the crap back into the grooves, would be an interesting study :)

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That makes sense...

4. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

This is what Spin Clean gave as the reason that they recommend towel drying.

5. I've had no problem with any solidifying residue on my vinyl by letting them air-dry.

6. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I usually give the records an additional distilled water spray rinse before hanging them to dry. I honestly don't know if it makes a difference...

7. Tobylab

Tobylab Active Member

I have had a spin clean for about 2 months. Works great for me. I usually do about 12 albums at a time. I wipe them off with the provided cloths and let them air dry in a dish rack before I put them back in the sleeves.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I do rinse with distilled wash and I do hand wash also - this does NOT get rid of mold release on new vinyl, but I love mine!!!! A MUST HAVE!!!!

9. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The limited edition clear version looks nice. I'm thinking of picking it up.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk HD

10. Slick Willie

Don't - the dirt gets stuck in the crevices and being able to see it that clearly will depress you = plus it costs more.

11. Slick Willie

I've drinsed(new word) my labels for 30+ years - I can't tell that it harms them - well maybe early London red label monos.....

12. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I'll second that. It's almost impossible to get it entirely clean again. Anyone have any tips??

13. Slick Willie

pressure washer .. at least 15 hp ........

14. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I use a small test tube cleaning brush. Give it a good scrub, then a final rinse in (supermarket) distilled water.

I went Spin-Clean wild. I use two. The first one is used as directed (except the records are spun more times, 2x clockwise, 2x counterclockwise, soak a bit, repeat, soak a bit, repeat). The record is then removed from it, dried on a microfiber cloth and put in the second Spin-Clean filled with lab grade distilled water (not ultra pure, that would bankrupt me). Spun 3x each way, then dried on the KAB EV-1 attachment to a home vacuum cleaner .
    The first bath lasts 10 or 15 records depending on whether they are really dirty or not, the second water gets always replaced after 5 records.

I don't know if the extra bath makes any difference, but it just did not feel good leaving the dirty water on as the last bath. And final cloth and air drying was just pain in the neck, so I love the KAB.

15. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Cleaned 38 LPs this weekend with my Spinclean/EV-1 combo. last ones came out as good as the first. Once I'm set up it only takes about 30 minutes to do a batch of 12. BTW I use reagent grade water. Water is grungy by the end though. I usually only do 24 at a time but I was starting to get backed up.

16. I average about 6mins a record; unpack, wash, gross wipe down, place on towel, grab next record, final wipe down, inspection, repack.

17. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

Just got a Spin Clean and have done about 50 records or so with it..and the results have been amazing....I had a bunch of Hendrix Polydor lp's that I figured were long gone..playing them was a nightmare with all the crackling, etc.... I actually thought I ruined the records playing them with crappy gear over the years..once cleaned, these things sound perfect!! Totally sold

theanswer337 likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Question.....on average how many LP's are you guys cleaning before you need to replace the brushes??

19. Slick Willie

Spin clean said about 2,000. I'm sure that was following their instructions 3 spins each direction. I've cleaned near 1,000 and I'm starting to see some wear.

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I've posted many times about my affection for the Spin Clean, but hey, what's one more gonna do...

Earlier tonight I cleaned a batch of about 10-12 records with this machine... with the blizzard coming through, not too much else to do. With the cold, (mostly) dry weather up here in New England, there is a ton of static. On 4 or 5 of the records I cleaned, I could hear/feel static pops, just taking them out of the original sleeve. There is nothing better than submerging those albums into the Spin Clean, going through a few revolutions, and then running them through a Nitty Gritty RCM to remove the fluid.

Static = gone

Threw the clean records into new Diskeeper sleeves, and most likely will never have to clean them again. So easy, and really effective. Even after only 12 albums, there was a good amount of dirt and other debris in the reservoir when I was done. It's so nice to know that crap isn't heading directly to my stylus.

:cheers:

21. Slick Willie

Ha, ha, ha, never clean them again. Think again, although not as often, you will be surprised how dirt can creep in. You may want to think about an annual cleaning, or at least bi-annual.

22. johnnypaddock

Nah, sounds boring to me. Too many new ones to clean! Of course, if I see any dirt, or hear artifacts, I'd clean an LP a second time, but most of the time this isn't necessary. LP goes into a new inner sleeve, then the whole cover goes into an outer sleeve. A bit of dust here and there, but a carbon fiber brush takes care of that.

:cheers:

23. Slick Willie

I do like your optimism. Been collecting vinyl very long?

24. johnnypaddock

Maybe about four years... give it time and the optimism will probably fade!

25. Slick Willie

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.