REVIEW: my new Spin-Clean

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

We use on Spin-Clean at the record store where I work part-time. It works well. We use it to clean filthy used records. I'm thinking of getting one at home to clean 45's. I'm satisfied with the way my VPI cleans albums.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

A VPI it ain't, but they are not perfect either. The spin clean is quiet, cheap, effective way to clean vinyl. I also highly recommend hand cleaning with a MoFi / Disc Doctor brush and a good enzyme cleaner.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah...I dunno. When I first acquired the SC....there was a lot of resistance when spinning the records. After about 30 records it loosened up...so much so I wonder if the pads are doing anything at all! Only with 180g or 200G vinyl do I feel that "resistance" I mentioned. But I guess the answer is in the results and the results have been good with all but the most foul moldy records. I just acquired a collection that was literally submerged in a basement flood - those required some elbow grease with the MoFi brush and homebrew fluid....works like a champ. In fact, the shiny Kiss album in my Avatar is one of them.

JQ

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I've done my whole collection, probably over a 1000, and it's still tight as heck. my biggest problem is with the rollers. The rubber spacer that the LP rides on bunches up and binds and they get munched. I finally replaced them with the new and improved mkII rollers... they're no different.

5. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I've also been wondering about the brushes - I don't the get the resistance, especially with older, standard-weight LPs. I spinned an otherwise nice-looking Madonna LP the other night and a couple of finger-print-like smudges did not come off. I spinned it 8x in each direction.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Probably someone with lotion on there hands handled it, dried lotion is harder to remove and will require some hand cleaning. Can you here them? Oh yeah, don't let your wife handle them, women love their lotions, vinyl doesn't.

7. jtweeg

jtweeg Member

I recently got a Spin-Clean and the directions say to "pre-wash the drying cloths". It says if washing with other clothes to wash only with whites, detergent and bleach.

I can wash just the Spin-Clean Drying Cloths. Should I avoid using any detergent or bleach? Is there any specific about drying them?

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Don't waste your time... just use microfiber cloths instead.

9. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

No fabric softener! And if they have blue strings on them, cut the strings off first lest they get tangled in either the wash or the dry.

Paul

10. I second the switch for microfiber. The Spin-Clean cloths that came with mine were falling apart by their third wash, leaving lint all over my freshly cleaned vinyl. I picked up a 36 pack of Zwypes brand MF cloths from Amazon for around $25. Haven't looked back since.

11. action pact

36 cloths is a bit more than necessary for drying records... I bought about 1/2 dozen at Walmart for like six bucks.

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

seriously that thing don't SCRATH or LEAVE minimal marks on the record??? it looks a little rude way to cleaning, I have that feeling... but maybe Im wrong I never used.
    I have the KAB EV-1, Im curious of Spin Clean because I read some KAB EV-1 users use in conjunction with Spin Clean but I have my doubts of Spin Clean.
    any haters of Spin Clean here? and why you hate it?

why you need a Spin Clean to clean if you already have the KAB EV-1, why just not use the KAB EV-1 to cleaning??? as a owner of the great KAB EV-1 I don't see the point to buy a Spin Clean, better results with Spin Clean???

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

I use the combo of the Spin Clean and a KAB EV-1.
    They really work great together .
    And I do get better results by using both.
    I recommend using them both. Until you can get that four thousand dollar record cleanin' thingy.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

ok we agree that KAB EV-1 is the way to vacuum,
    but again: what's the problem of also use the KAB EV-1 for the cleaning "fluid" first step? you know: apply fluids, brushes, spin, etc (an horizontal position) ?

15. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Jeez, you're STILL hating on the Spin Clean? I feel like you've posted this several times in various threads about it and despite the reviews and everyone telling you different you're still convinced the thing is a record eater. At this point it's practically science; it works and works well.

billdcat likes this.
  16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

sorry my bad, I don't remember that but I not hate it because I never try it ;) I just curious and how use it beside the KAB EV-1, I don't see the point but curious.
    and I found some haters in other forums but Im just curious about comments here, I trust more in members of this forum that any other.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  17. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I've used a combination of the Spin Clean along with a Nitty Gritty RCM to clean at least 400-500 LP's and not one has been scratched or scuffed by the process. I find that the combination is better than the Nitty Gritty alone for a few reasons:

1. The LP is submerged in fluid, which eliminates static.
    2. The cleaning fluid does a great job lifting dirt from the LP, and then the vacuum step gets all of the fluid off right away.
    3. It is MUCH faster to go through a batch of records... both sides cleaned at once, plus no need for multiple rinses. The LP goes through the Spin Clean, then each side gets vacuumed, and boom you're on to the next one.

Sometimes with a stubborn LP I will break out the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid, but they almost never improve on the cleaning from my normal process.

billdcat and mikeyt like this.
  18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

a response that I want hear, thanks
    both sides cleaned at once, make sense! good
    maybe I should try it with my KAB ;)

johnnypaddock likes this.
  19. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

20. action pact

Heh heh, that little girl is now a sophomore in high school!

Strummergas and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

but how is the Spin clean doing? ;)

22. action pact

It worked great, but I've since upgraded to a Record Doctor.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

that is probably for the best as I would imagine your helper has less interest in helping dad clean records.

24. action pact

Correct, sir!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Geez, I just started reading this thread today. Did I like one of your posts to get to post here again? I'm actually thinking of getting one of these. I have thousands of old 45s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.